Being scared to talk to other farang

georgegeorgia

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Did you post in the correct thread? I don't understand what "family obligations" have to do with prostitution in Thailand. Are you saying that they forced my wife to marry me so they could get my money?

Right thread, if parents are in financial difficulty the offspring are under immense pressure to salvage the homestead. I myself recall giving my father my life savings years ago when he was in a financial mess!!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Not scared per se, but Thailand does attract some oddballs.  One thing I notice is the number of foreigners who can get quite annoyed, almost hostile, when another foreigner is around.  Like you're mere presence is diluting their "specialness".  Then there are those that aggressively gatekeep Thailand and want to be the most Thai or whatever.

I don't go to tourist areas so perhaps it's different there.

I solved that problem by being the only farang in the village.

Never saw anybody resembling a tourist there either.

Even in Lamphun no other farangs lived near me. Only saw one farang about 3 times in passing.

I certainly never wanted to be a "Thai". Never even learned more than enough Thai language to get by.

1 minute ago, 473geo said:

Right thread, if parents are in financial difficulty the offspring are under immense pressure to salvage the homestead. I myself recall giving my father my life savings years ago when he was in a financial mess!!

My wife's mother ( father dead ) was well off. Her sister made loads of money. Far more wealthy than I. So, what immense pressure was my wife under financially? She herself owned land.

I still don't get what it has to do with prostitution and my wife.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

My wife's mother ( father dead ) was well off. Her sister made loads of money. Far more wealthy than I. So, what immense pressure was my wife under financially? She herself owned land.

I still don't get what it has to do with prostitution and my wife.

As one of my old farming bosses used to say 

"Trouble is, if I take a lump of sod to the shop or bank, they will not accept it as payment"

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Yep, my misses has loads of land ......... poor as a church mouse.

Not to mention farming is really hard work, and she's a bit lazy.

Same here, but she doesn't even do any farming labour is so cheap.

• Like 2

No problem associating with other foreigners, but 

34 minutes ago, 473geo said:

This posts clearly shows you had little understanding of the immense pressures placed on your wife due to 'family obligations' in Thailand.

I suggest many farang are oblivious to the pressures their partner has to deal with.......makes me very proud of my wife who has worked hard to strike the right balance. It certainly ain't easy!! 

As for the topic unfortunate for those who are not able to control a conversation.

I had a wife who was also placed in the spot by family. She did a great job keeping it away from me and did not cave in. But you like you i feel really happy and proud for what she did. The expectations some people have of foreigners and the pressure put on their daughters when they have a foreigner is crazy. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

."oh he was pretending to ask for directions to a hotel...but probably wanted money ...I read it on the internet .. don't talk to stranger farangs !!

Only been approached a couple times in 20 trips here and never in the last 3 years as a retiree here by a farang wanting money.  Happens in the US where I come from as well.

Gamblers, alcoholics, or drug addicts always end up broke, so some will eventually find you one day and try and scam some money, yet that is maybe a 1/500 chance on a day to day basis IMO

Life is Good

Peace

• Like 2

I've always known I was a fish out of water, but then that's true wherever I've lived, especially not being a "Farang"...though I am a foreigner. It's even worse now that I know being talkative and outgoing is a no-no!

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

I find I am getting too lazy (if that is the correct word) to just chat.

I guess it is not so much age itself, but with age you realize there is nothing much new in the world anymore.

yes, I agree...

in my backpacker days there was cultural curiosity and the few of us here were more interesting - now, it seems more financial refugees than people seeking a different culture... hold the pickles w/that burger

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Adelphi said:

If you were to make those same comments about guys from a particular ethnic or religious group you would probably be banned from this forum.  However you think  it is ok to attack guys because they are old. The issue here is vulnerable young women who are being exploited due to their financial circumstances.  I fail to see why it is more wrong for a guy of 80 to do the exploiting than a guy of say 35.  It is simply wrong. Your post comes across to me as full of unpleasant ageist discrimination. 

I give you a challenge, try to read your post out loud without bursting in laughter…

So you’re trying to tell us that a 23, or 25, 30,35… year old guy with a 20 year old prostitute is the same as an 80 year old guy with a 20 year old prostitute? ????

You are right, it isn’t about race or religion. It doesn’t matter if it’s a white, a latino, a black, an asian or a Muslim. It makes no difference… 

Age, on the other hand makes all the difference. Hence why many western countries have legislation going on in the cases of old guy - young girl thingy. 

Aren’t there 40, 50, 60 year old prostituyes that would suit them better and won’t be as easily exploited just from the experience of the older guy? Why it always has to be girls that look like their great granddaughters?

Prostitution is already in itself quite degenerate regardless of your age. But chasing girls 40 years younger than you, should be considered mental illness… 

Its not hate towards old people, far from it. But those things aren’t normal, anyone sensible can see it.

Theres also tons of retired people here in Thailand, who live their life in a decent manner the way they would back home. Not every “old” person in Thailand chases young girls, and so I can only hope the very best for those and wish that they had a nice life here in Thailand

But the ones who come to Thailand because they love sex with young girls,… I don’t dare to write what I hope for those…

Edited by eliassfeir
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

7 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I didn't talk to random people in the UK.

I don't talk to random people in Thailand.

It must be sad to be that lonely!

This is so typical of your sarcastic sort of post. Only nutters start an actual conversation with random people in the street. But most people that didn't grow up in large cities are happy if they happen to catch the eye of another person in passing and exchange pleasantries with them, or at the very least say 'alright?' or a Thai greeting. I dislike 'close' personal contact with unknown people in general (and many known), but I keep the karma flowing. 

• Like 1

I got asked by foreigners a number of times when I had a business in Pattaya. I came into contact with many but that was the nature of my business, so understandable. I got cheated once or twice.

Since being in the sticks I have met a few foreigners, usually retired or schoolteachers but they have never asked for anything.

I have had a number of Thais however, up here trying to borrow.I tell them I am not a bank. When they persist, I have asked for security in the form of gold, ownership books for motorbikes, they disappear.

Edited by Scouse123

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I solved that problem by being the only farang in the village.

Never saw anybody resembling a tourist there either.

Even in Lamphun no other farangs lived near me. Only saw one farang about 3 times in passing.

I certainly never wanted to be a "Thai". Never even learned more than enough Thai language to get by.

Actually, you might find how gratifying and soul cleansing it will be to go partially native. 

The longer one removes themselves from all things Farang - including their "special" company - the more instinctive it becomes as to the guilt that overrides from the special class. ????????

• Like 1
  • Confused 1