Being scared to talk to other farang

georgegeorgia

I decided last year, as my tourist friends were no longer coming, to go out and try to make some new friends, bars were still open. Started chatting to an  Irish guy as I used to work with a lot of them, and my surname is so Irish its an institution, when I told him '' I used to work with a lot of 'paddys' '' he lost the plot and said i am racist. <deleted>.

• Haha 2

The most annoying people I meet in Thailand, be it in a bar or restaurant sitting next to your table, they start talking about how bad the girls are and spewing negativity about how bad they are, when my gf sitting next to me. 

Except from those I smile and say hello, and chit chat if they start talking to me. No worries,

23 hours ago, eliassfeir said:

I give you a challenge, try to read your post out loud without bursting in laughter…

So you’re trying to tell us that a 23, or 25, 30,35… year old guy with a 20 year old prostitute is the same as an 80 year old guy with a 20 year old prostitute? ????

You are right, it isn’t about race or religion. It doesn’t matter if it’s a white, a latino, a black, an asian or a Muslim. It makes no difference… 

Age, on the other hand makes all the difference. Hence why many western countries have legislation going on in the cases of old guy - young girl thingy. 

Aren’t there 40, 50, 60 year old prostituyes that would suit them better and won’t be as easily exploited just from the experience of the older guy? Why it always has to be girls that look like their great granddaughters?

Prostitution is already in itself quite degenerate regardless of your age. But chasing girls 40 years younger than you, should be considered mental illness… 

Its not hate towards old people, far from it. But those things aren’t normal, anyone sensible can see it.

Theres also tons of retired people here in Thailand, who live their life in a decent manner the way they would back home. Not every “old” person in Thailand chases young girls, and so I can only hope the very best for those and wish that they had a nice life here in Thailand

But the ones who come to Thailand because they love sex with young girls,… I don’t dare to write what I hope for those…

I hope my interest in young girls, though not underage, is still very much there when I'm 80, I would never approach a lone woman, even an obvious prostitute, though if any of the latter approach me I will be nice to them, but make it obvious I will not be going with them. No guy at any age should approach a young girl unless he is given obvious encouragement.

If I am aged 80 and sitting in a shopping mall and young adult girls dressed in a short skirt walk past, yes I will look at them, any normal guy who says that he wouldn't is a liar.

• Like 1

I was staying in a hotel in Pattaya and was walking past the bar on my way to my room. I don't drink, I was stopped by a well mannered well dressed German guy, I stood talking to him for a few minutes as I found him very pleasant.

I then said goodbye and went up to my room, a few minutes later someone knocks on my door, it was the German guy, he said he was short of money, and before he could go any further I threatened him with violence and he walked away very quickly.

10 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I hope my interest in young girls, though not underage, is still very much there when I'm 80, I would never approach a lone woman, even an obvious prostitute, though if any of the latter approach me I will be nice to them, but make it obvious I will not be going with them. No guy at any age should approach a young girl unless he is given obvious encouragement.

If I am aged 80 and sitting in a shopping mall and young adult girls dressed in a short skirt walk past, yes I will look at them, any normal guy who says that he wouldn't is a liar.

personally cant see nything wrong with a 80yo guy with a 18yo girl,in fact those "do gooders" that complain about that are usually hypocrites and when its turned eg gay guy 80yo and his 18yo boyfriend well thats ok they say.????...hypocrites these Greenies,liberals do gooders

• Like 1
  • Confused 5

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Ditto ... ????

Not scared to, just prefer not to talk to foreigners.  20+ yrs on, and first few years here met and socialized with many.  After getting to know them, less than a handful were decent folks, IMHO, so now I avoid foreigners.  

i find now in my old age wisdom there is good and bad in every race,color,sexuality,job 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gordyg422 said:

I live in NAKHON PHANOM Province and I have previously seen other farangs in shopping malls etc I have attempted to say hello but they have just blanked me weirdos if you ask me.

After reading this entire thread, I feel a lot better about myself. I thought it was just me being scorned and feared. Now I know many people harbor these horrible thoughts and attitudes. There are many on here who I feared previously, have turned out to sound like decent people. Sadly, I'll probably never meet them or have a real conversation with them due to the overall state of affairs here. I'm still talkative and outgoing, but from now on, I'm just going to keep to myself... 

Edited by mosan
Clarity
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, gordyg422 said:

I live in NAKHON PHANOM Province and I have previously seen other farangs in shopping malls etc I have attempted to say hello but they have just blanked me weirdos if you ask me.

You attempt to engage in conversations with total stranger ...  hmm.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gordyg422 said:

Sorry , but I really do want to engage in conversations with complete strangers 

• Like 1

On 10/1/2021 at 9:32 AM, BritManToo said:

I didn't talk to random people in the UK.

I don't talk to random people in Thailand.

It must be sad to be that lonely!

Australians do talk to random people. I've had random conversations with Brits too, so not everyone in your country is stuck up LOL.

I randomly acknowledge other foreigners and may say hello if we have eye contact. In 16 years here no one has asked me for a loan, but I don't hang out in bars where that type of person might be more common.

Being alone does not necessarily imply lonliness. Some people enjoy it. I do. Each to their own.

Edited by JensenZ
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, pomchop said:

Living in a rural area where there were not a lot of farangs around, I used to just do a nod when walking by a farang in a market etc and couldn't understand why so many would not even return a such a simple polite acknowledgement of a fellow farang in a foreign country.  I had no ulterior motive or desire to get into a  conversation.  After a while and being just ignored by more than half I found myself just ignoring them.  But i ultimately decided that there was nothing wrong with me.  If they don't want to acknowledge me in passing so be it, live in your sad little bubble.

To me it is sad that ANY fellow human, farang or Thai, is so afraid of a fellow human that they don't take a millisecond to just return a nod.  If someone tries to hit me up I am perfectly capable of ignoring them.

Frankly it seems to me that a lot of these people are very insecure or shy or afraid or arrogant or ??.  I gave up trying to figure them out.

My experience was like yours. I live in an area with foreigners now so no real need for it here. But at times taking a walk a deserted stretch of beach 2 people passing a simple head nod of acknowledgment by both Thais and foreigner alike is a friendly greeting.

• Like 2

No need to go around striking up conversations with passing strangers.  A brief “good morning” (or afternoon, or evening, depending on the hour) is all that you require to accompany a firm shake of the hand and exchange of business cards.  Be sure to check your supply of cards if you are going on the BTS

1 hour ago, pomchop said:

Living in a rural area where there were not a lot of farangs around, I used to just do a nod when walking by a farang in a market etc and couldn't understand why so many would not even return a such a simple polite acknowledgement of a fellow farang in a foreign country. 

The clue might be in the inherent racism.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

The clue might be in the inherent racism.

I tend to be friendly with people of all nationalities but the topic of this thread is about farang to farang interaction so your "clue" is irrelevant.

• Like 1

'Dread' rather than 'fear' is the feeling that comes to mind...if one more old dude tells me he has or had a Harley......or some status symbol ownership toy/house/achievement back in the day / pride of 'the best western' nationality .......etc etc

????????????

• Thanks 1