Are you still able to live comfortably?

georgegeorgia

46 minutes ago, Swimfan said:

You can claim rental assistance on top of the pension as a separate supplement. I believe it’s about an additional $65 a week 

i dont think you get the rental supplement or utilities supplement on the aussie pension if you are overseas,i think its just the normal pension $890 a fortnight or whatever it is

Edited by georgegeorgia

20 hours ago, topt said:

Kudos to you and your partner. Unfortunately my partner spends more than that a month on herself alone.........not including living expenses

Wowww. What is she spending the money on?

That's more than most Thais earn in a month.

2 hours ago, Johnny Mac said:

30k don't think so. Your rent and bills will be circa 20 if you want anything passing as comfortable.. I'd say a tramp as opposed to a schmuck.

Rent a room at:

4k a month

Electricity and water: 500 (no aircon)

Food (Thai) 3x50Baht a day= 4,500

Phone package incl internet: 300

Cheap motorbike: fuel 500

A few beer from 7/11

You could live with 10k a month

As this is becoming more all Asia type forum i was talking today to my filipino girlfriend here in Australia about this topic and she said you could live great in the Phillipines on this amount thus the large amount of Aussie pensioners apparently living there ,so times are changing i guess

22 minutes ago, RafPinto said:

Rent a room at:

4k a month

A few beer from 7/11

Haha! You actually used the word ''live''

Popping you on ignore just for saying that.

4 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Living on 50k a month should be easy.  I'm living on about 30k a month, (non-sipper) and we don't deny  (myself & wife) ourselves anything.

Being a self-confessed non-sipper you obviously deny yourself sipping. ????

2 hours ago, RafPinto said:

Rent a room at:

4k a month

A few beer from 7/11

"Canary Sun" used to post about his grand life pre covid on 10 K/mo in Pattaya.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

I remember him,must be about 8 years ago  i guess ? 

i think just like glitterman he went back to the UK or wherever he came from,havent seen him since

Yeah, CS walk and biked for entertainment, cooked at home, didn't drink or smoke. It would certainly take a disciplined individual. I probably spend 10K/mo on 7-11 alone ahahaa

8 hours ago, RafPinto said:

Rent a room at:

4k a month

A few beer from 7/11

That's called, "Living the Dream."  ????  

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, LosLobo said:

Being a self-confessed non-sipper you obviously deny yourself sipping. ????

Not completely, and guess I should have been more specific.  Non alcoholic, as I may have a beer or 3 a month, maybe, rarely 4, so budget wise, 4 X ฿55 = a minimal monthly expense vs 3 or 4+ every day = ฿6000+ a month habit = a major monthly expense.

.... where are you based though? sounds like phillipines?

No, Prachuap Khiri Khan, and mandatory monthly expenses, rent & utilities < ฿10k (6000 & < 3000), leaves ฿20k to live on.  If you can't live on ฿600+ baht a day, you probably have an issue or 2

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 10/2/2021 at 12:07 AM, Denim said:

Well, my wife is currently paranoid about catching covid and spends all day on the sofa watching Korean soaps. Mindless stuff but very low maintenance. Won't even go to do the shopping run at Big C with me , which is good , as if she comes along the bill goes up 50%

Buy an exercise machine for her to use while watching her soaps, or she's going to get fat.

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, Pravda said:

The price of insurance will go through the roof for old folks and this is what will make the stay unaffordable for many.

I fear them making health insurance compulsory for those of us on long term extensions here. I believe there is a lot of pressure to make this happen, from the medical services to the insurance companies themselves. And both are terrible deals, good medical services are astronomically expensive, and insurance is a very poor deal, high priced and offering very limited cover and an excess of weasel words.

The solution I would prefer, like the retirement extension itself, would be self insurance, by keeping a lump sum available in the bank. How does insurance of limited value (maybe max of 1 mil, one time, if the cards fall right), costing 65,000-85,000 pa, really compare to the flexibility of money in the bank? No exclusions there.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I fear them making health insurance compulsory for those of us on long term extensions here. I believe there is a lot of pressure to make this happen, from the medical services to the insurance companies themselves. And both are terrible deals, good medical services are astronomically expensive, and insurance is a very poor deal, high priced and offering very limited cover and an excess of weasel words.

The solution I would prefer, like the retirement extension itself, would be self insurance, by keeping a lump sum available in the bank. How does insurance of limited value (maybe max of 1 mil, one time, if the cards fall right), costing 65,000-85,000 pa, really compare to the flexibility of money in the bank? No exclusions there.

Or, at least have your solution as a second option.  

1 minute ago, newnative said:

Or, at least have your solution as a second option.  

Of course, someone who has good cover from outside Thailand or their home country must not have this forced upon them. But isn't that the case with Visas like the O-A, O-X these days....is that insurance all Thailand sourced?

On 10/1/2021 at 6:53 PM, Mike Teavee said:

There are 2-3 guys on a popular Pattaya Forum that post regular budget updates on how they live on around 50K pm & they seem to have an ok lifestyle, but I've found that around twice is about the right amount for me & I would really struggle on < 60K.   

I think inflation will be a big factor over the coming years, I don't know how the Aussie pension CoL increases work, on paper UK State pensioners are covered by a "Triple-Lock Guarantee" so should get an increase at least in line with inflation BUT UK State Pensions are frozen if you move to Thailand so they actually get nothing (assuming they've told the government that they're living in Thailand which not all do).