Are you still able to live comfortably?

georgegeorgia

I remember about 20-25 years ago reading up & meeting many farang particular from Australia living on their aged pension.

Many were living very good .

But can it be done nowadays?

I'm looking at the aged pension from Australia and it's around 50,000 baht a month..of course you would have to have the 800k in the bank to meet the immigration requirements.

Not sure how much the other countries pay their aged pensioners but ...who here lives on their solely aged pension and any difference from before in terms of living in Pattaya

I know I can be done in other parts of Thailand but I'm particularly interested in Pattaya living .

Edited by georgegeorgia

If I had punched out early, i.e. three years ago, I would have been right on the edge of being comfortable and not worrying about the future.  For various reasons, mostly COVID, I kept working, got some huge windfall engineering gigs, and my social security has gone up by 7 % each year. So current expenses and future look like a sure thing... knock on wood.  That Thai baht drop since 2004  of course was drastic for many. 

• Like 1

Just now, The Cipher said:

Hmm, in my limited experience the people who plan are usually the ones that put themselves in a position to get lucky.

But sure, no doubt blind luck does play a big part too.

I planned and saved for 10 years, before retiring and moving to LOS more or less permanently. I hadn't planned on getting married.

Had I read the divorce sub forum on TVF BEFORE getting married I'd still be in LOS today. That was down to luck. Just bad luck I met her, just bad luck I thought she was the one, just bad luck that I hadn't read the divorce sub forum etc.

As a wise man once said to me, life is unfair.

It is luck that rules us- had I walked by a minute later she might have not been there, had I been looking the other way I might not have seen her etc etc etc.

Even wars are won by luck, when it comes down to it. Britain was lucky to have the Spitfire and the code breaking computer in WW2. Two men just happened to be in the right place at the right time- now that's what I call good luck!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

What's wrong with living a Thai life style? Millions of Thais do so and have no more complaints than residents of western countries. I don't see many perks from living in a western country unless seriously wealthy. The lower echelon is getting <deleted> these days while the wealthy are living the life of Riley.

I did NOT say that anything is wrong with living a Thai life style. I was simply pointing to the fact, that a western lifestyle with western goods will not be possible. Personally, I live 70% Thai, 30% western (food wise)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I started working for 8 pounds 10 shillings a week and paid 4 pounds a week for board. Had I saved half of the remainder for 10 years I might have enough for a night out in Bkk now.

Doesn't matter how much one saves if one marries the wrong woman and that's a common occurrence, isn't it?

Life is more about luck than planning IMO.

Sometimes you  get  good  luck and dont grab it with both hands though,  I remember meeting a guy 15  years  ago in Thailand  and it changed my financial  life here for the better substantially.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

I'm looking at the aged pension from Australia and it's around 50,000 baht a month

State pension alone  from UK will be about 32,000 baht every 4 weeks... although many will get a second pension from their past employer. For example those who were in the police force long term do quite well. 

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Don't forget the health insurance. I paid 60,000 baht last time for mine.

I estimate from what I have read that at least half or 50% of the expats the last 10 to 15 years skipped health insurance and that was OK for most routine things.  Setting a broken bone was not a big expense.  Even getting an appendectomy was not a huge expense.    Some made out OK. Others not so.  In this day and age no health insurance is a big risk in my opine.  Especially since people in general are living longer, the chances of some serious illness or complication, cancer, heart attack, surgeries, etc. increase.  I hate the health insurance industry (I live in the USA), but for the last 40 years once I left home, I have never been without it.  I have never ever needed it, no surgeries, no nothing so I have spent a pretty penny on nothing and the premiums are only going up! And I don't get any credit, or cash back or anything beause over the years I changed carriers, had different employers, had a few years in the Air Force etc.  Now in a few months I will be switching over to Medicare, which is not that cheap if one has any substantial income. But at least I know the premium costs vs. MAGI (Modified Adjusted Gross Income), so I can plan my tax bracket and my IRA withdrawals to keep my medicare premiums as low as possible.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

News flash. Some people actually enjoy their job/ friends/ lifestyle. More money for when one does actually retire is always a good thing. One never knows what is going to happen, as I know very well from harsh experience.

You got that right.  I miss chatting with many of my co workers.  We shared similar backgrounds. Some of us were in the Military together or stationed at the same Bases or facilities or worked on the same defense projects.  And having a security clearance it is cool knowing some things or going to places that are off limits to most.  Many of us really did work on important or critical defense programs.  I have been on submarines, worked on satellites, worked on the F 15 Anti Satellite program, Ballistic Missile Defense, and so many other things that are really interesting.  Kept the brain active.  Now, having had some time off between the last two gigs, it is becoming an education on what I will need to do to keep a little bit busy and enaged in things.  I have seen so many retired people just waste away. Others, such as Hans Bethe, the great physicist, my god he kept on going and loved it until he was 95. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

State pension alone  from UK will be about 32,000 baht every 4 weeks... although many will get a second pension from their past employer. For example those who were in the police force long term do quite well. 

Oz pension is not 50k either. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Imagine you would ask a Thai person who lives from minimum wage how he could live with 50k per month. He would probably think he won't be able to spend so much money every month.

It's all in our minds how much we think we need to make us happy.

And the general instilled mindset and the discussion that displays itself in the same ridiculous manner every time that this same kind of inquiry comes up. There's no standard for any such comfort as the varied lifestyles will attest to.

11 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I seem to be living a western lifestyle on a pension of 1,000 pounds a month quite easily (family of 5).

It was a little harder when the exchange got me 40kbht and I had a kid at university.

But she finished earlier this yer, got a job, moved out and the exchange rate now gives me 45k/month.

At 45k/month I have 5k-10k left I don't need each month.

Western food doesn't cost any more than Thai food, same ingredients, different cooking style.

as for,

"live in their reclining chair, unable to go anywhere, do anything, afford anything."

Nowhere to go, nothing much to do for the past 2 years due to COVID, even if I wanted.

You are certainly correct and I congratulate you on your ability to do so. "Western lifestyle" means different things to different people, that is why I wrote at the end of my initial statement “This is purely based on my experience and my expectations, you will need to define for yourself what you expect your life to look like.”

For me, beef is part of my lifestyle and I have yet to find Thai beef that I would want to eat, so I do regular trips to shops with Australian beef products and happily pay the price. Same goes with red wines, mine tend to be from Italy and go well together with Italian pasta and sauces. Or then the cheese… bloody expensive, but (mostly Swiss) cheeses are part of my diet. And my daughter has started to develop the same tastes, expect the wine (still too young).

As I said before, 70% of the time, my wife cooks Thai dishes and I am perfectly comfortable with pork and chicken and any other products from the local fresh market. I am also fully happy with Thai beers, never bought foreign beers in all my time in Thailand. I just like to enjoy both and that does not work with only 50K Baht per month, from which you have to pay rent, water, electricity, insurance and so on.

• Like 2