Are you still able to live comfortably?

georgegeorgia

4 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

No way I could do 20 more, I'd be suicidal.  Besides, I've out lived most of my hometown friends and more than a few working peers ????  Although partying was always just a hobby to me, not a lifestyle. 

Same, considering the average age of death is around 75, I'm surprised most of my pals died way before then. Doubt I'll make 75 either, the guys that carried on working then suddenly died missed out on the best years of their life.

Edited by BritManToo

Last, pretty much only real job I ever had, all of 13 yrs, via IAM union, and their stats state, 'on average', they issue 18 monthly retirement checks.   18 .... so much for life expectancy.  Scarier, my work classification, they only issue 11 check on average.   So they planned on my dying already ... ????  65 yrs + 11 months ... I'll by 67 end of the year.  Guess I'm on borrowed time  ????

Why pension funds are under funded, they know they never need it.

• Like 2

Some more posts with uncivil comments toward other members have been removed have been removed:

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

Some posts with trolling images have been removed. 

Just now, Kanada said:

You 30 year old guys seem to be doing what everyone should be doing at your age so keep on your own schedule????
You’re running into a little flak here from a few members that are way past your age and are just now realizing they did it wrong ????….but only a few.

Most of us are glad to see forward thinkers at your age!

Just remember that at 30 years old you have no doubt yet to meet some of life’s major challenges…don’t worry they’ll come!

From 0-30 life is “generally” pretty kind…health should be good…hopefully no divorce in your life yet…no child support…no alimony….no unexpected business failures thru no fault of your own or even completely your fault!

Just saying it’s pretty easy to p”” off a few on here for some reason so choose your words carefully….you are 100% correct by the way just be gentle????

Good luck to you….message me in 39 more years and let me know how it went????

Who are the few members who realised they did it wrong?

I had a successful business in my twenties and never worked again. You see? All you did the whole way through was jump to conclusions and try to insult those whom you wrongly assumed were in a lesser position than yourself.

Waiting for you to put names to the members whom you claim they realised they did it wrong....

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bruno123 said:

Nirun wouldn't be my choice if I were on such a budget. I think and I could be wrong, that the guys chose to live there because they saw it as central and cheap. They did not envisage spending much time in their rooms; so opted for cheap accommodation and more fun.

I think the whole 'pandemic' thing brought into view the importance of having decent accommodation; wherein you could actually enjoy spending time within.

That's why I posted the pics of an alternative 4k apartment in a different and frankly nicer, area.

But I think they might feel lonely if they moved away from their known community.

Nirun wouldn't be my choice either but I suspect the OZ gentleman likely moved there pre-covid when it fit his budget.  He could likely upgrade to something better now with rental prices so low.  My partner and I used to get 25,000 baht a month for a 1 bedroom we owned and rented at The Base.  Checked Hipflat and some are now listed for 8000 baht.  I've seen listings for around 6000 baht on condos that used to rent for around 20,000 baht or more.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/3/2021 at 7:09 AM, BritManToo said:

Better living that dream here than in the UK.

Sure, but the problem is, for those who are living here on such fine margins, it only takes one unexpected incident and / or illness or injury, and they are borrowing money from friends and family, and it's at this point they start to burn their bridges, because they never repay.  

1 minute ago, Leaver said:

Sure, but the problem is, for those who are living here on such fine margins, it only takes one unexpected incident and / or illness or injury, and they are borrowing money from friends and family, and it's at this point they start to burn their bridges, because they never repay.  

All my bridges were burnt for me before I came here.

My friends have all died, and my family are (poor) Thai.

Nobody for me to borrow from, even if I wanted.

I don't waste money on insurance, I'll accept death when it comes for me.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Espanol said:

82.000 bahts in Spain. Net after taxes.

I think you can live well in Pattaya with this.

Should be able to live anywhere with 82k baht.  Assuming you own home & car, free & clear of mortgage & loans.   Would think, most retiring, own their home and easy enough to sell and buy or rent something that wouldn't necessitate using your income / pension to pay for renting or owning in one's retirement.  That equity / savings already done while working those 40 yrs, unless failed economics 101.

Pensions are for living / everyday, monthly expenses.  After working 40 ish years, you should have plenty of equity (home) built up.

Pretty much the reason I chose Thailand to retire than USA (home country), as no RE Taxes here, and affordable healthcare.  2 big monthly expenses I avoid by living here.  My 'pensions' supply more than enough living expense.  Equity supplies new homes & cars, with nice oops fund.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Would think, most retiring, own their home and easy enough to sell and buy or rent something that wouldn't necessitate using your income / pension to pay for renting or owning in one's retirement. 

Lost my 600,000gbp home to my Brit wife in the divorce.

(In the UK women with kids under 15 got the house outright 10 years back, and 1/2 of everything else)

If I'd been renting and had the 600kgbp in the bank, I would have kept half of it.

It's never a good idea for a man to own a home outright if he's married IMHO.

In a divorce cash is easily hidden and moved, a house she'll probably get at least half of it.

But on the positive side, if I'd had another 300kgbp after my divorce, I'd probably not moved to Thailand. Everything in life is swings and roundabouts!

Edited by BritManToo

30 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I chose Thailand to retire than USA (home country), as no RE Taxes here, and affordable healthcare.

Just the opposite for me: health care is "free" in Europe (we pay high monthly taxes to have it) while I need to pay for health insurance here in Thailand.

I will probably need to return to Europe when I can't get a health insurance in Thailand. I think there is an age limit to get one.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Lost my 600,000gbp home to my Brit wife in the divorce.

(In the UK women with kids under 15 got the house outright 10 years back, and 1/2 of everything else)

Yikes ... that sucks.   So much for the young getting married, as that's just stupid.   USA has the marriage tax, which puts many off marriage.   Joined incomes at higher tax rate.

When I hit 40, had a vasectomy, knowing not wanting kids that late or financial responsibility of, if any surprises later on.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Espanol said:

Just the opposite for me: health care is "free" in Europe (we pay high monthly taxes to have it) while I need to pay for health insurance here in Thailand.

Health care certainly isn't free in France, they take a large chunk of your income for the health care.

Health care is free for retired people in the UK as they no longer pay NI contributions from their pensions.

Nobody is forcing you to buy health insurance in Thaailand.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Should be able to live anywhere with 82k baht.  Assuming you own home & car, free & clear of mortgage & loans.   Would think, most retiring, own their home and easy enough to sell and buy or rent something that wouldn't necessitate using your income / pension to pay for renting or owning in one's retirement.  That equity / savings already done while working those 40 yrs, unless failed economics 101.

Pensions are for living / everyday, monthly expenses.  After working 40 ish years, you should have plenty of equity (home) built up.

Pretty much the reason I chose Thailand to retire than USA (home country), as no RE Taxes here, and affordable healthcare.  2 big monthly expenses I avoid by living here.  My 'pensions' supply more than enough living expense.  Equity supplies new homes & cars, with nice oops fund.

Dont you get free govt healthcare in the US? What happens if your on a disability pension or old age ,dont they have free hospital there ??

8 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Dont you get free govt healthcare in the US? What happens if your on a disability pension or old age ,dont they have free hospital there ??

No & No. The ACA is joke, and doesn't cover much until a silly total deductible is reached.   The month premiums & co-payments when needing treatment are silly.  I couldn't spend that much on healthcare here.  It real is a farce to call it universal healthcare.  

Social Security Medicare / caid is also a joke.    Of course if you're an illegal alien, free healthcare ... ????

If you're in the 'system', then free healthcare at public hospitals.  Long Qs for anything non emergency, and forget elective.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Espanol said:

82.000 bahts in Spain. Net after taxes.

I think you can live well in Pattaya with this.

Are you sure about that?

That's over 2000 EUR

I'm sure that the majority of people even don't get close to that whilst working.

22 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Yikes ... that sucks.   So much for the young getting married, as that's just stupid.   USA has the marriage tax, which puts many off marriage.   Joined incomes at higher tax rate.

When I hit 40, had a vasectomy, knowing not wanting kids that late or financial responsibility of, if any surprises later on.

I still see plenty of old farangs, pushing their babies around here in BKK 555

B9906E50-054F-41E8-8AAA-C1F8036DD56C_4_5005_c.jpeg

working 40 years + in some <deleted> low level “ safe” job for a <deleted> pension you paid for fibe times over from numerous taxes,and will never fully recover, now divorced with no money, living in <deleted> rented accom. seems fairly typical…. that aint retirement or even living…..just miserable existing or surviving…..already in your coffins…..the walk into the ocean is that way…….

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, RafPinto said:

Are you sure about that?

That's over 2000 EUR

I'm sure that the majority of people even don't get close to that whilst working.

2700 euros now. 2100 euros after taxes.

Twice that amount in June and December. 

https://www.ondacero.es/noticias/economia/esta-pension-minima-maxima-2021_20210909613ad976f7c3140001544a3c.html

"El Gobierno establece cada año un importe máximo, tanto mensual como anual, que los pensionistas pueden percibir. En 2021, esta cantidad quedó fijada en 2.707,49 euros al mes y 37.904,86 euros al año, distribuidos en 14 pagas."

• Like 1