Are you still able to live comfortably?

georgegeorgia

1 minute ago, Will B Good said:

On tenter hooks now.....is she going to become my boss???

One wrong word and I'm out on my ear!

On tenter hooks now.....is she going to become my boss???

Was she not already before ...? ????....Some guy's have all the luck in life...????

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, rhodie said:

I was referring to the 2000 figure. Please don't muddy the waters. You will be paid the full pension less the 2 small supplements. In fact I have a friend who received the full pension plus rent assistance as long as he returned every 6 months. You lose the 2 supplements after 6 weeks. Lost the rent assistance now as he couldn't return with covid restrictions.

No muddy waters, just the facts. 

Single pension $967.5, after 6 weeks, $906.90 per fortnight

https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/age-pension/how-manage-your-payment/travel-outside-australia

Edited by ozfarang
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Yeah, but think what she probably looks like!

This is your reply to everyone who doesn't pay for sex. Get a life ????

Edited by Pravda

9 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Imagine you would ask a Thai person who lives from minimum wage how he could live with 50k per month. He would probably think he won't be able to spend so much money every month.

It's all in our minds how much we think we need to make us happy.

He would probably stop buying lotto tickets as he thinks he won already the lottery by having 50k available each month.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, ozfarang said:

No muddy waters, just the facts. 

Single pension $967.5, after 6 weeks, $906.90 per fortnight

https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/age-pension/how-manage-your-payment/travel-outside-australia

Yes, x 26 so 23,579.40 per annum. We were using $2000 per month roughly.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bruno123 said:

Who gives a flying about 'pie in the sky' savings talk and how much a particular individual earns?

Apparently the OP who has already laid out his “millionaire status” in a recent thread he started.  So, reading between the lines of this thread, the title might as well have been “how doooo you poor people survive?”

Edited by Airalee

1 hour ago, Bruno123 said:

Are you still able to live comfortably(in Pattaya)? is the title of the thread; but instead I had to wade through people bragging about how much they earn. Totally irrelevant and disgusting.

Then another who decides to tell how saving just US$1000 per month from when 30..... 

There are always those who cannot resist the temptation to rub others faces in it.

Who gives a flying about 'pie in the sky' savings talk and how much a particular individual earns?

It's really disgusting, IMHO..

How hard is it to keep to the topic, instead of bragging about how successful you have been?

I am not of that age; so cannot speak to the costs of someone that age; but there are only one or two posters who have actually answered the question; lost interest even before getting to the end of the first page. Sad that it was hijacked by the self proclaimed hi-so who are not even in Thailand and didn't even answer a single question to do with the OP....but just wanted to tell us how much they are worth.

i agree, unfortanetely the people that usually brag are in their late 60's with less than 20 years left to live but they want to keep going,keep working,keep getting the money for what ?

we have people like that at my work,late 60's early 70's bragging about their retirement funds etc ,they are working overtime ,begging the bosses to work weekends etc..then brag in the mealroom at work in their tea breaks how they made a lot of money doing overtime last weekend working 12 hour shifts ...for what i ask them.?..you will never enjoy it .....working in their 60's and 70's ...bragging of having millions but still want the overtime hours on weekends .....bloody crazy and i hope they die soon and never enjoy it

Edited by georgegeorgia

20 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

Interesting; but it is a completely different topic where it is appropriate to disclose his circumstances in order to glean differing perspectives on his particular situation. 

It's not appropriate to disclose the same things on a thread asking about the cost of living in Pattaya and the kind of funds necessary for a comfortable living.

How much someone earns and generates and who isn't even in Thailand is totally irrelevant.

If they lived here previously and discussed their costs and then said that they wanted to up their income as it wasn't enough, it might be relevant.

But there was nothing to do with the topic at all in many of the replies here. I wanted to read about how people were surviving on their incomes here; not some irrelevant nonsense about the workings of the US healthcare system and how much fun the poster is having with military colleagues...

First, I do agree with you completely.  I too like to read about money saving tips and not have a thread turn into a comparison of incomes/bank accounts.  But really… what’s the point of someone starting a thread like this when they already admittedly have a ฿29,000,000 net worth?

Just now, Airalee said:

First, I do agree with you completely.  I too like to read about money saving tips and not have a thread turn into a comparison of incomes/bank accounts.  But really… what’s the point of someone starting a thread like this when they already admittedly have a ฿29,000,000 net worth?

People can start topics for any reason.. I saw the topic title and it drew my interest. But I wanted to read posts in relation to the title of the topic. The replies here could have gone into the thread to which you linked; rather than this one.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I started working for 8 pounds 10 shillings a week and paid 4 pounds a week for board. Had I saved half of the remainder for 10 years I might have enough for a night out in Bkk now.

Doesn't matter how much one saves if one marries the wrong woman and that's a common occurrence, isn't it?

Life is more about luck than planning IMO.

Ever heard the expression  "you make your own luck" People who hope to live their lives being lucky usually aren't. Thats a gamble and many losers there. If you plan , try to account for changes you don't need to be lucky.  I made plans before coming here which included (when I was in my 20's ) having health insurance that was cheap and covered me overseas and therefore I am not dependant on Medicare/ medicaid.. I made sure that even though many guys think "Oh I trust my wife" that I had safeguards in case things went south. Should things happen even now I should be able to split half the marital assets but even if in amiricle she gets all the property (in Thailand) my pension comes to me every month and she can't touch that or assets I have in US and it's more than enough to fund my retirement here in Thailand or even back in US.  Never be so trusting that you give someone else the power to hurt you. That's being smart and planing for possible adverse events. If nothing bad happens , fine. If things do go bad you limit the hurt.

• Like 1

With 50k you imho won't live "like a king" or even very comfortably in Pattaya, but surely better than you would in a western home country.

If you can live happily in Thailand does not depend on the money you can spend in the first place. My adice would be: check it out for a year or two.

• Like 1

I retired at 54. I am comfortably off with good pension and SS from the US of around 7500 a month and about a couple of million in savings, investments and financial assets. Unfortunately about 5000 per month of my pension is not index linked and so inflation is what keeps me awake at night. The government here have proved themselves to be fools and you can be 100% sure they will be unable to deal with rising inflation. 

The other problem I have is how my mrs here will deal with the sums of money I will leave her. I'm sure her brothers will clean her before I'm even burned.

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

I get an Nz pension, which is a bit less than 50,000baht month. 

I own my own condo and car(no HP etc). No insurance.. I have extra cash in bank to cover me.. 

I can live very well, in Pattaya, on this money... But..... I don't advise anybody moving to Thailand, unless you have very ample savings or income.. 

I have property in Australia and NZ, plus substantial passage income.. I can leave Thailand anytime, if I get sick or whatever... 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I started working for 8 pounds 10 shillings a week and paid 4 pounds a week for board. Had I saved half of the remainder for 10 years I might have enough for a night out in Bkk now.

Doesn't matter how much one saves if one marries the wrong woman and that's a common occurrence, isn't it?

Life is more about luck than planning IMO.

Everyone can be a millionaire in hindsight!!! If you knew then what you know now!!!????????????????????????????????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Airalee said:

are you talking about me ? 29 million baht ? I wish...i have about 14 million baht which would have to last 20 to 25 years...

Edited by georgegeorgia

All these pricing metrics are in the past.

Thailand hasn't even reopened yet.

They are going to get their lost earnings back and that means prices are going to go up.

Pattaya ST 1000 baht?

Not if they have customers lining up, it will be highest bidder wins.

Wouldn't want to be in Thailand on a frozen UK state pension.