Electric vehicles of all kinds

Kanada

1 hour ago, JustAnotherHun said:

Renewable energy is not a stable one you can count on.

One of the reasons for me installing an off-grid solar system was due to the number of brown-outs and black-outs experienced in rural Thailand. My experience is my solar system is far more stable and reliable than PEA here. 

I was challenged by the installer of my home charger who claimed (out of ignorance) that solar would damage the charger. I showed that PEA voltage fluctuated between 190-250v and my pure sine wave inverters produced a rock steady 220v.    

15 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

Anybody wanting to read the background to this https://insideevs.com/news/537120/ev-chargers-switched-off-uk/

To quote from the article above:

"The government argues that the new legislation could help drivers of electric vehicles save money by pushing them to charge their EVs during off-peak night hours, when many energy providers offer “Economy 7” electricity rates that are far below the 17p ($0.23) per kWh average cost.

So the government is actually doing them a favor shutting their power off. What about people that work nights? 

In the future, Vehicle-to-Grid (V2G) technology is also expected to mitigate strains on the grid in combination with V2G-compatible smart chargers. Bi-directional charging will enable EVs to fill gaps in power when demand is high and then draw power back when demand is extremely low."

Given the huge increase in renewable energy production, why is there a strain now? 

I am an active member of a UK based EV forum. The price of UK electricity has doubled over the last 10 years and is expected to increase by 50% in April. Many on the forum are considering adding solar and certainly everybody seems to be very aware of time or use rates so I doubt if it will be much of a problem as very few EV owners would be stupid enough to charge at peak rate prices.  

How is this even possible? Given that renewable energy is so much cheaper than fossil fuel, why are prices not coming down? 

37 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

One of the reasons for me installing an off-grid solar system was due to the number of brown-outs and black-outs experienced in rural Thailand.

With "not stable" I meant there's less or no production if the wind does not blow and sun does not shine. Surely less a problem in Thailand, but in Europe.

And are you really claiming the rules of cutting of the chargers in GB is to the benefit of the customers? More likely would be they fear to overstrain the net.

And we talk of around 400k EVs in GB as I read. How many fuel burners are running there? 30 or 40 million? 

Next problem in the still unsolved problem to store the renewables. In Europe we have the fact, that Germany has to export energy to neighboring countries when sun's shining and wind's blowing to avoid overloading the net. There are days, Germany has to pay for this export. On weak days, we have to import energy from nuclear plants in France and coal plants in Poland for high prices.

To focus on renewables has driven the price for electricity to the highest price level in Europe. Right now, we have ca. 800k EVs. Will be funny, when there are millions.

Let’s blame all the electricity price rises on renewables ????

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-12-30/europe-has-never-paid-so-much-for-power-as-2021-costs-hit-record

“Europe’s energy crunch was a result of shortages of natural gas just as demand rebounded following 2020’s lockdowns. The crisis was also aggravated by lower than normal wind speeds and nuclear power outages that have strained power grids, forcing the region’s energy companies to burn polluting fossil fuels”

18 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

Let’s blame all the electricity price rises on renewables ????

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-12-30/europe-has-never-paid-so-much-for-power-as-2021-costs-hit-record

“Europe’s energy crunch was a result of shortages of natural gas just as demand rebounded following 2020’s lockdowns. The crisis was also aggravated by lower than normal wind speeds and nuclear power outages that have strained power grids, forcing the region’s energy companies to burn polluting fossil fuels”

So the price has doubled over the last ten-years and it's because of natural gas shortages in the last year? 

On 1/31/2022 at 12:15 PM, Yellowtail said:

So the price has doubled over the last ten-years and it's because of natural gas shortages in the last year? 

If you really want to know, here's an explanation of why despite falling renewable prices, electricity costs are rising

Renewables are cheaper than ever – so why are household energy bills only going up?

https://theconversation.com/renewables-are-cheaper-than-ever-so-why-are-household-energy-bills-only-going-up-174795

Edited by placeholder
  • Like 1

On 1/30/2022 at 1:57 PM, JustAnotherHun said:

With "not stable" I meant there's less or no production if the wind does not blow and sun does not shine. Surely less a problem in Thailand, but in Europe.

And are you really claiming the rules of cutting of the chargers in GB is to the benefit of the customers? More likely would be they fear to overstrain the net.

And we talk of around 400k EVs in GB as I read. How many fuel burners are running there? 30 or 40 million? 

Next problem in the still unsolved problem to store the renewables. In Europe we have the fact, that Germany has to export energy to neighboring countries when sun's shining and wind's blowing to avoid overloading the net. There are days, Germany has to pay for this export. On weak days, we have to import energy from nuclear plants in France and coal plants in Poland for high prices.

To focus on renewables has driven the price for electricity to the highest price level in Europe. Right now, we have ca. 800k EVs. Will be funny, when there are millions.

And how much competition for electric power consumption will EV's have at night? And do you think that EVs will completely drain their batteries every day and need a full charge?

As for energy storage, there are lots of systems that are just being put into use that can store lots of power at a very low price.

Look up Form Energy which  uses rust as a storage medium. Or Zinc8 which uses  well, whaddya think? 

And one of Germany's problems is that nuclear power plants have been shut down prematurely in the wake of Fukushima. But you must know that but aren't discussing it bacausse that wouldn't advance your argument, would it?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, placeholder said:

And how much competition for electric power consumption will EV's have at night? And do you think that EVs will completely drain their batteries every day and need a full charge?

As for energy storage, there are lots of systems that are just being put into use that can store lots of power at a very low price.

Look up Form Energy which  uses rust as a storage medium. Or Zinc8 which uses  well, whaddya think? 

And one of Germany's problems is that nuclear power plants have been shut down prematurely in the wake of Fukushima. But you must know that but aren't discussing it bacausse that wouldn't advance your argument, would it?

So EVs do not drain their batteries daily? Strong argument, really.

Energy storage IS the main problem of the renewables, as asny expert will confirm.

Yes, Germany - better the Merkel government - decided to shut down all nuclear plants due to hysteric stories of tens of thousands deaths. Reality was a little bit different, The Tsunami caused the victims, there is not a single death reported from outside the plant through radiation.

And while Germany shuts them down, GB, France, Finnland, USA, Japan are planing or already building new ones and even Sweden starts to discuss that.

And what about the fact, that Germany has to flood it's  neighbors with renewable energy on sunny/windy days (because ther is no storage solution) to avoid overstraining it's own net? 

1 minute ago, JustAnotherHun said:

So EVs do not drain their batteries daily? Strong argument, really.

Here's what I wrote:" And do you think that EVs will completely drain their batteries every day and need a full charge?"

Do you understand the difference between "drain" and "completely drain""

Edited by placeholder

3 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

Energy storage IS the main problem of the renewables, as asny expert will confirm.

And what about the fact, that Germany has to flood it's  neighbors with renewable energy on sunny/windy days (because ther is no storage solution) to avoid overstraining it's own net? 

And the energy storage problem is being solved. I advised you to look up companies like Form Energy and Zinc8 which use inexpensive storage systems capable of long term storage. Lots of others, too. 

6 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

Yes, Germany - better the Merkel government - decided to shut down all nuclear plants due to hysteric stories of tens of thousands deaths. Reality was a little bit different, The Tsunami caused the victims, there is not a single death reported from outside the plant through radiation.

And while Germany shuts them down, GB, France, Finnland, USA, Japan are planing or already building new ones and even Sweden starts to discuss that.

Your points are hardly relevant to the fact that you failed to acknowledge the big effect this had on the German power grid but blamed other factors instead.

Just now, placeholder said:

And the energy storage problem is being solved. I advised you to look up companies like Form Energy and Zinc8 which use inexpensive storage systems capable of long term storage. Lots of others, too. 

It WILL be solved sooner or later, but it ain't now. And right now we talk about 400k EVs in GB and 800k in Germany. Related to together maybe around 100 million burners.

5 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

Thank god not.

So why do you think that GB has to limit the charge station hours by having only 400k EVs? Because there's so much energy?

AS I pointed out, they can charge them during off peak hours. Which, according to UK law, amount to 15 hours every day. 

2 minutes ago, placeholder said:

AS I pointed out, they can charge them during off peak hours. Which, according to UK law, amount to 15 hours every day. 

You're not answering my question. WHY do they limit the charging hours? For fun?

Edited by JustAnotherHun

But back to topic:

I like EVs since I drove a friend's Tesla S and even more when I had the opportunity to test a EVA Ribelle RS bike last year.

I would not by an ecar now, but I'm badly waiting for the first bike that provides a range of 300 to 350 km.

Edited by JustAnotherHun

13 hours ago, placeholder said:

If you really want to know, here's an explanation of why despite falling renewable prices, electricity costs are rising

Renewables are cheaper than ever – so why are household energy bills only going up?

https://theconversation.com/renewables-are-cheaper-than-ever-so-why-are-household-energy-bills-only-going-up-174795

Why can't you just tell me? Oh, that's right, you never get past the headline. 

13 hours ago, placeholder said:

Because they can overtax the system during the day. What do you think that proves?

That's what I said before. Easy, eh?

What it proves? If laughable 400k EVs are a danger to overstretch the system at peak hours, what will happen if there are millions?

In 2021 GB had more than 1.6 million new car registrations.

GB announced the end of burners for 2035 and BJ even came up with the plan to set the date to 2030.

That's what I would call  "act first, (maybe) think later"-politics.

At least, GB is not crazy enough to force the end of the conventional cars and simultaneous shut down the nuclear plants followed by all coal plants in the coming years, like the German brain athlets do. These idiots are driving the society straight to power-blackouts and think they fight the climate change by shutting down the plants and then importing the missing energy from France (nuclear) and Poland (old and dirty coal plants).

And who will pay the bill for this BS? It's not me, it's those on the lower end of the income range who do not know how to pay for their high priced electricity and how to afford an EV.

Edited by JustAnotherHun