Wine increase in price

Henryford

5 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

I make my own now, same as I did in Saudi. Works out at less than 80 baht a litre, mulberry wine even cheaper, all come out at 12% abv.

Used to make a reasonable beer in Saudi...back in the 70s from .malt extract.....but was easier to pick up a gallon of "Sidique"for the fortnightly darts night against the likes of British Aerospace...et autres...In fact ARAMCO actually supplied the blueprints on making a still.....Thursday evenings were never the same...????

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Peterphuket said:

The price of the wine depends on the alcohol percentage.

How lower the price, how lower the percentage of alcohol.

When I lived in Thailand I used to buy a 5 litre box of Mont Clair South African wine for 990 Baht. My theory being for it being so cheap is because it's not pure grape wine, it's made with other fruit juice as well.

Edited by Andrew65
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Andrew65 said:

When I lived in Thailand I used to buy a 5 litre box of Mont Clair South African wine for 990 Baht. My theory being for it being so cheap is because it's not pure grape wine, it's made with other fruit juice as well.

It's possible, I drink the same wine for many years in LOS but when you compare with cheaper wines, it still have 12-13% alcohol

And yes, long time before I bought the 10 ltr packs for 1499 thb? I don't remember anymore exactly the price.

When you living on a small pension, you don't have much choice and even my gf was chocked when she realise I pay more than 3000thb/month for drinking wine, only 2 glasses a day.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Peterphuket said:

It's possible, I drink the same wine for many years in LOS but when you compare with cheaper wines, it still have 12-13% alcohol

And yes, long time before I bought the 10 ltr packs for 1499 thb? I don't remember anymore exactly the price.

When you living on a small pension, you don't have much choice and even my gf was chocked when she realise I pay more than 3000thb/month for drinking wine, only 2 glasses a day.

Yes, I lived in lower-Sukhumvit from 1998-2018. I think around 2006 they brought in the drinking hours laws, and they also banned special offers on alcohol. I remember Villa Market used to do a 2 for 1 offer on wine. I used to get two bottles of Penfold's or Hardy's wine for 400-500 Baht.

• Like 1

We've heard it from official sources last week "farang have money and are richer" - once the subject of hospital bills was touched. 
I - for one - never ever saw a Thai drinking boxed wines, the few and far between were customers in an eatery where "wine" was sold by the glass. The discerned consumer either imbibes on smuggled stuff, meanwhile offered on i.e. LINE, or abstains. In all fairness, if you look at the quality and pricing of local beers here and compare it with the quality and pricing of a first world country brew in a first world country store ................ 

On 10/1/2021 at 7:42 PM, Cherrytreeview said:

I doubt you have seen anything yet.

Thailand closed for 2 years and they are going to get those lost earnings back.

Expats and returning tourists are going to get rinsed.

The global tourism industry is doing it, so why shouldn't Thailand? I don't blame them.

I know you may be right, and for someone who loves the LOS and do fell so sorry for the locals as they are the ones that have been the hardest hit by this. I will be coming back up hopefully by May and the bar's and markets will be open.

On 10/1/2021 at 4:42 PM, Cherrytreeview said:

I doubt you have seen anything yet.

Thailand closed for 2 years and they are going to get those lost earnings back.

Expats and returning tourists are going to get rinsed.

The global tourism industry is doing it, so why shouldn't Thailand? I don't blame them.

"Expats and returning tourists are going to get rinsed." Returning tourists?? How many is that going to be? Tourism was dwindling rapidly before the pandemic even started. Does anyone really think that the unelected PM will be bothering about making up for losses while the country was shut down after it opens back up?

I would doubt very much if his personal fortune was affected during this pandemic.

What I think you will see is ways to screw any expats and tourists for more money to enter Thailand. Don't think it will just be a case of paying for your flight, turning up at the airport, flying out to Thailand, going through immigration, then heading for a taxi.

Or it could be a certain amount added to your plane fare to be collected by the unelected military government.

7 hours ago, Iron Tongue said:

Not that I don't enjoy cr*pping on Thailand like most people here, but the raise in prices includes inflation and increased costs of shipping due to fuel and even shipping container shortages.

In my experience shipping in to Thailand is very cheap at the moment. I have brought containers in from Australia and Europe over the last year. It is shipping out which has increased enormously - 400-500% from a year ago to almost any destination - we send 5-6 containers a month out to US, Europe, Australia etc.

Exchange rate changes will be impacting prices of imported goods more than shipping rates IMHO.

• Thanks 1

Thais have a hard time ever lowering the price of anything can sit for a while, life condos, land, and alcohol. They would rather hike the price to try and make up lost revenue. It's the Thai way. Some golf courses have realized that an unused course is negative revenue and lately have lowered their prices, but they are the only ones that I've seen that understand what the airlines have known for years: that an empty seat is lost revenue.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

Is anyone familiar with this Red ?  Found it all on its own in Makro a few weeks ago. Google says 620 B , I paid 399 B. Will be opened on Friday as a bit of a do happening .

IMGP0105.JPG

I can't remember having tried it in the past, however it is most likely in the same bracket as the other "swigging" wines from South-Eastern Australia, where the majority of the bulk wines are made, and in amongst those bulk wines there are a few reasonable wines........be interested in your feedback on it.

5 minutes ago, xylophone said:

I can't remember having tried it in the past, however it is most likely in the same bracket as the other "swigging" wines from South-Eastern Australia, where the majority of the bulk wines are made, and in amongst those bulk wines there are a few reasonable wines........be interested in your feedback on it.

I will let you know , I will look out for your avator bottle.  It will be better than those horrid fruit wines that keep turning up.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

I will let you know , I will look out for your avator bottle.  It will be better than those horrid fruit wines that keep turning up.

I have found a few good-ish wines from that area, where a lot of the wine is sold as cask wine or cheaper bottles for barbecues and the like.

I guess this bottle would cost about eight Aussie dollars + a bottle or thereabouts, but it's quite a while since I've been in Oz so things may have changed.

There is one in particular I have tried on several occasions because it's very drinkable, and it's called "Barwang – The Wall" and has a light blue label with a bit of white on it, and it retails for about 399 baht. It's never going to set the world alight, but is a far better bet than the fruit wines!

14 hours ago, xylophone said:

There is one in particular I have tried on several occasions because it's very drinkable, and it's called "Barwang – The Wall" and has a light blue label with a bit of white on it, and it retails for about 399 baht. It's never going to set the world alight, but is a far better bet than the fruit wines!

I've tried a bottle or two of that along with their white wines, certainly passable and, I understand, that it's about the same price in Australia.

I've also tried some of the McWilliams Merlot from Villa, not bad and also in the region of 400 Baht, also about the same as the Oz price.

• Like 1

On 10/4/2021 at 9:43 AM, theoldgit said:

I've tried a bottle or two of that along with their white wines, certainly passable and, I understand, that it's about the same price in Australia.

I've also tried some of the McWilliams Merlot from Villa, not bad and also in the region of 400 Baht, also about the same as the Oz price.

The off licence in town has a good choice of wine some at about 1,800 B a go. The one I get from there if going to a party ( remember those ) or justa meet up is McGuigan's Black label red. Very acceptable. Oh cost , 550 B.

• Thanks 1