Wine increase in price

Henryford

17 hours ago, sharecropper said:

was going to ask on here if anyone knew anything about it....

I recall 2 posts mentioning this place although the search function doesn't find anything. Both were positive... have also seen Facebook posts of their offers, suggesting it would be worth a browse.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I recall 2 posts mentioning this place although the search function doesn't find anything. Both were positive... have also seen Facebook posts of their offers, suggesting it would be worth a browse.

I think if you buy in the store the minimum order is only 6 bottles, not 12. 12 for online.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/21/2021 at 11:18 AM, sharecropper said:

By a very odd coincidence, I was driving down Thapprasit Road in Jomtien/Pattaya this morning and saw their shop about to open, so I stopped to take some photos and was going to ask on here if anyone knew anything about it....

87864.jpg

87865.jpg

The guy who runs this place is a super nice guy.  I think tied into the local Rotary club?  Very responsive.

I went for my first visit to the Vines To Vino shop on Thepprasit this morning, their opening hours of 11:00-14:00 Monday to Saturday aren't terribly convenient for me as I'm usually swimming or shopping or eating around that time. I was mainly looking for a reasonably-priced champagne or substitute for Christmas and they had a decent selection. I'm not a fan of prosecco so I was looking for a brut sparkling wine or a low-price champagne, and they had both. I ended up going for a bottle of Louis Perdrier Brut d'Excellence which the shopkeeper was very enthusiastic about. He recommended its similarity to champagne and it was on sale at 488 Baht, reduced from 699. I checked a UK wine website and it's selling there for £10.99 a bottle, so almost the same as the shop here is charging.

DGK2L2NcRDeW2qxBQega3g_pb_x960.png

The champagne that interested me was Besserat de Bellefon, reduced from 2,499 Baht to 1,560. Again, as far as I could tell in the UK (the names and labelling seem to be a bit different) this is on sale there at around forty quid a bottle, so a bit more than Vines To Vino is asking BUT I'm not 100% sure they're exactly the same product. I'll probably sample the Louis Perdrier on the weekend, and may go back and get a bottle of the champagne just to try it as it's not one I'm familiar with (like 007, I'm a Bollinger man, though I'll happily drink Krug or Dom Perignon if I'm feeling wealthy enough, lol).

I didn't have time to investigate the reds which are my usual quarry in a wine shop, but from what I saw the selection is certainly interesting and, if the prices are as reasonable as the champagne and sparkling wine I looked at, then they'll also be good value. Could this be the holy grail for wine drinkers in Thailand, a shop with a good selection at prices not much above what you'd pay in the UK? Further research is needed, and like Douglas MacArthur, I shall return!

Edited by Guderian
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The big news 3 months ago was that wine would come down maybe 10pc. Beer also. Fags due to rise.

I buy 4/5 wines a week in Villa. Apart from occasional promotions (which are pushed by the girls who get commission from some wineries)---I have seen no price falls at all, except for Tesco that has one-offs on 6 packs sometimes.

When are we getting these price cuts for wines?

Eddy

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, pauleddy said:

The big news 3 months ago was that wine would come down maybe 10pc. Beer also. Fags due to rise.

I buy 4/5 wines a week in Villa. Apart from occasional promotions (which are pushed by the girls who get commission from some wineries)---I have seen no price falls at all, except for Tesco that has one-offs on 6 packs sometimes.

When are we getting these price cuts for wines?

Eddy

Perhaps the price of the alcohol went down, but they put the tax up more than the decrease in price.  ????  

19 hours ago, xylophone said:

One of my favourite Champagnes along with Taittinger.......but there again too many others to choose from!!

Glad to hear that you'd rank it up with Taitinger, which also one of my favourites. I'll definitely give it a try.

15 minutes ago, Guderian said:

Glad to hear that you'd rank it up with Taitinger, which also one of my favourites. I'll definitely give it a try.

A lighter style IMO, using the same grapes as Taittinger but in different percentages and methods, so doesn't have the same "depth".

Produced each year from first pressings of Pinot Noir, Pinot Meunier and Chardonnay, this is the definitive cuvée of Champagne Taittinger and is a carefully balanced blend of wine from more than 35 crus. It also includes a proportion of reserve wine to ensure consistency from year to year. Prior to release, the Brut Réserve is aged for 3-4 years giving the wine depth whilst allowing the component parts to become fully integrated.

• Thanks 1

On 10/11/2021 at 7:15 PM, Espanol said:

20211011_190519.thumb.jpg.3aaf773e78bebd07fbef28a652be2175.jpg

20211011_190537.thumb.jpg.fce4b3325533682229a9a759d241e15f.jpg

Now in Koh Tao.

650 baht at Pen Wholesale Supermarket. 

Good stock of French, Italian, Australian and Argentina wines.

I remembered that you had shown a few pics of some Bordeaux wine, and although I rarely drink it here, I have found one which is good, and especially for the price of 599 baht.

At first I thought it was from the owners of Rauzan Gassies as it does mention "Gassies" on the label, but I believe it's the name of the winemaker, however the 2019 Château Bel Air is well worth a try as it is drinking well now.

PS. Don't confuse it with another similar château name, Château Bel-Air from the Medoc, because that is more expensive wine altogether.

bel_air_gassies_sm.jpg

16 hours ago, xylophone said:

I remembered that you had shown a few pics of some Bordeaux wine, and I have found one which is good, and especially for the price of 599 baht.

Thanks for the info.

Where did you find it? You don't mention it in your post.

7 hours ago, Espanol said:

Thanks for the info.

Where did you find it? You don't mention it in your post.

I have just been out and about today and visited a little wine shop in Phuket town called Promphan, which is where I often buy wine, because the prices are just a little cheaper than elsewhere, and I saw the wine I mentioned there, and it was now priced at 570 baht a bottle!!!

Also beware that you need to look for the 2019 vintage and that is 13.5% abv as that's the one I tried and thought was very good.

• Thanks 1

On 11/27/2021 at 11:53 AM, xylophone said:

Sorry I can't be too specific but I have seen it in several places, Villa Market being one, and Bic C at one time. Good hunting!

Yes, at Villa Market they have it, and also some other Bordeaux at the same price: 599.

20211201_110611.jpg

20211201_110640.jpg

20211201_110650.jpg

20211201_110700.jpg

20211201_110713.jpg

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Espanol said:

Yes, at Villa Market they have it, and also some other Bordeaux at the same price: 599.

20211201_110611.jpg

20211201_110640.jpg

20211201_110650.jpg

20211201_110700.jpg

20211201_110713.jpg

Thanks for the pics, and hopefully you will give the Château Bel Air a try, along with some feedback as to your opinion of it.

I have a confession to make inasmuch as many years ago when I had a passion for collecting wine, I would buy case upon case of fine French wine, favourites were amongst the 1st to the 5th Bordeaux growths, and also those of the Northern Rhône, but nowadays my tastes have changed somewhat.

The French wines became very expensive and along with that a lot of "inferior" French wines were flooding the market and were nothing more than plain country wines, so I tried more and more Australian and Italian wines and came to like them, along with New Zealand Chardonnays, so that's my main area these days.

I should add that I have found some good wines from Chile (not the cheaper ones) and South Africa, and of course I've always had a love of Spanish wines.

33 minutes ago, xylophone said:
1 hour ago, Espanol said:

20211201_110611.jpg

20211201_110640.jpg

20211201_110650.jpg

20211201_110700.jpg

20211201_110713.jpg

Expand  

Thanks for the pics, and hopefully you will give the Château Bel Air a try, along with some feedback as to your opinion of it.

I was curious about this wine, and I was in the right hour to buy alcohol, so I bought a bottle.

I will comment later about it.

34 minutes ago, xylophone said:

a lot of "inferior" French wines were flooding the market and were nothing more than plain country wines

May be that's the reason  because I can not find any good Bordeaux at a razonable price. So I'm really looking forward to try this one.

I only buy Bordeaux when I can not find Rioja, but I never found a good one at a good price.

I still find Rioja Crianza best value for money.

• Like 1

On 11/15/2021 at 11:03 AM, Espanol said:

Good price (for Thailand) of Spanish red Rioja at Villa Market at The Avenue Pattaya:

Viña Eguía Crianza 2015 "only" 729 baht.

Really good Rioja wine.

Villa Market - Pattaya

02 779 1024

https://maps.app.goo.gl/gorJDocPFEBN3q798

20211115_104616.thumb.jpg.b2ef6814e3770502a985e0117fbcecb8.jpg

I think many people accept my recommendation, because it's now out of stock. ????

So good that I bought enough of it before publishing about it. ????

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, xylophone said:

along with New Zealand Chardonnays,

Did you mean Chardonnay or Sauvignon blanc?

I still miss the very big oaky Chardonnays of 15 years or more ago......but I know I am unusual in that these days ????

9 hours ago, topt said:

Did you mean Chardonnay or Sauvignon blanc?

I still miss the very big oaky Chardonnays of 15 years or more ago......but I know I am unusual in that these days ????

It seems like we have similar tastes with regards to our Chardonnays, because I too like the bigger, oaky Chardonnays that New Zealand can produce, although they did go over the top in the 80s producing some hugely oaked Chardonnays, in particular the Morton Estate Black Label Chardonnay, which was a bit like drinking wine through oak chips!

I also like those that have had a malolactic fermentation, giving the wine a "buttery" flavour, so that, along with some oak is a perfect Chardonnay for me, and you may be interested in the following...... 

JamesSuckling.com 
Our top pick from New Zealand was also our No. 1 globally: the Kumeu River Chardonnay Kumeu Maté’s Vineyard 2020.

Unfortunately you won't be able to buy any of this because it's been sold out and was selling for about NZ$95 a bottle!!!!

However earlier on I was very keen on the Brakjovich Estate wines, and got Michael Brakjovich to present at one of my American Express functions in NZ, and also liaised with him and his family on a few promotions we did, and very nice man he is too.

I have never been able to get on with the New Zealand Sauvignon Blancs because I found them too acidic, however there were a couple I tasted from Marlborough which were a sort of cross between a Sauvignon Blanc and a Riesling and were very palatable indeed.

PS. For what it's worth, I really don't drink any white wine these days, and the last time I had a little snifter was with a sweet Muscatel from Spain, which I quite liked as an after-dinner tipple

• Thanks 1

On 12/1/2021 at 11:44 AM, xylophone said:

I open the wine today to wash down a lamb leg.

You are right: this is the best of cheap Bordeaux I have tried here so far.

Thanks for your advice. 

Anyway, I still think that there is a quantum leap from Bordeaux and Rioja and I think that, for only 100-150 baht more, I will keep drinking Rioja Crianza in future.

20211202_140228.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Espanol said:

Anyway, I still think that there is a quantum leap from Bordeaux and Rioja and I think that, for only 100-150 baht more, I will keep drinking Rioja Crianza in future.

That's not a bad thing, because a lot of the cheaper Bordeaux here are pretty average, whereas I have never had a bad Rioja here, and anyway the Temperanillo grape, along with Grenache and perhaps Carignan added, can make a lovely wine.

At one time in my wine drinking life, Rioja was a major player, and I remember acquiring a case of Frederico Paternina 1964 Gran Reserva, and it was wonderful, and as much as 18 years later, I was offered a fantastic price for the two remaining bottles I had, from a restaurant owner in Adelaide.

As I wasn't going back to Australia (I lived in NZ then) it seemed a difficult task to send them over, so I drank them!!

• Like 1