Wine increase in price

Henryford

On 10/4/2021 at 9:25 AM, foreverlomsak said:

One of my wife's favourite sayings was "Thai's don't like or eat cheese".

To which my reply was always "Why do we always have to go for a Pizza when were out and why do you always order extra cheese".

No reply was the answer, she's now decided Pizza is too expensive.

must disagree with your bride ..since introducing cheese to my thai family it costs me a fortune each month kids  would eat it daily if possible ..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/5/2021 at 11:51 AM, scubascuba3 said:

I bought a couple of bottles reduced from 600 baht to 400 baht and guess what, they taste like 400 baht wines

IMG_20210922_123526.jpg

I have not seen this one around, but then again I do stick to my "usual" wine outlets and distributors when I buy my wine.

A quick look on "Wine Searcher" gives these wines a lowish score and suggests an average price of around 300 baht a bottle, although I'm not sure whether that is with or without tax and duty?

To be honest, it has been many years since I have tried a good South African wine, the last one being from a distributor here who was clearing out some stock of South African wine which was priced at over a thousand baht a bottle, and I managed to buy some for about 600, and it was a good, big and rich wine, unlike many of the others from there in recent times, which have been lacking body and in my words, a bit thin.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

I have not seen this one around, but then again I do stick to my "usual" wine outlets and distributors when I buy my wine.

A quick look on "Wine Searcher" gives these wines a lowish score and suggests an average price of around 300 baht a bottle, although I'm not sure whether that is with or without tax and duty?

To be honest, it has been many years since I have tried a good South African wine, the last one being from a distributor here who was clearing out some stock of South African wine which was priced at over a thousand baht a bottle, and I managed to buy some for about 600, and it was a good, big and rich wine, unlike many of the others from there in recent times, which have been lacking body and in my words, a bit thin.

Critics score seems quite high, not sure why, $8 and $12, probably doesn't include tax. I used to drink South African white wine in the UK was always pretty good, similar to Aussie. Red I'd go for Chile

Screenshot_2021-10-07-13-14-49-028_com.android.chrome.jpg

Edited by scubascuba3

5 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Critics score seems quite high, not sure why, $8 and $12, probably doesn't include tax. I used to drink South African white wine in the UK was always pretty good, similar to Aussie. Red I'd go for Chile

Screenshot_2021-10-07-13-14-49-028_com.android.chrome.jpg

With respect, 85 would be the lowest score that I would consider buying a wine, however you do get a few surprises where the wine far outweighs the score!

On 10/1/2021 at 1:45 PM, toofarnorth said:

Similar,  Yesterday I went to my local off licence to get a box of Leo 8. 2 weeks ago it cost 480 B , last night it had gone up to 580 , in Lotus it was 589 , hardly worth going ensewhere.

always paid 589  for leo 8 tesco. big c. makro. standard price bought some yesterday 

On 10/7/2021 at 1:49 PM, Espanol said:

about good wines

Never tried it. Is El Coto really good and what style? (ok just blown it up to see it is a Rioja) - also how much locally?

Edited by topt

2 hours ago, topt said:

Never tried it. Is El Coto really good and what style? (ok just blown it up to see it is a Rioja) - also how much locally?

It's a good Rioja Crianza medium price. 

Got some awards in international wine fairs.

In Spain it is distributed by El Corte Inglés.

I buy it for only 5'85 € at Mercadona and it is better than some more famous Riojas like Campo Viejo or Marqués de Cáceres at 15+ euros.

https://tienda.mercadona.es/product/66320/vino-tinto-do-rioja-coto-crianza-botella

Screenshot_20211008-180614_Mercadona.jpg

Screenshot_20211008-180645_Mercadona.jpg

Edited by Espanol
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The price of my wine has just gone up as I am now buying the Superior Concentrated juice from Jamago @ Bht 750 a litre as opposed to the Premium @ 600. Makes a bottle of wine 100 instead of 80 Baht. Add some Red Male Chicken spirit plus some oak wood chips and you have Port @ Bht 130 a bottle. 

• Confused 1

On 10/2/2021 at 8:52 AM, redwood1 said:

Farangs have mostly given-up on wine......The wine section in grocery stores is deserted almost every time I am there......They use to do a pretty good trade...

I love red wine, esp. Australian ones. I worry, I will be drunk all the time when travelling to OZ next year...

Gave up on wine in Thailand, as it is ridiculously expensive and/or undrinkable. I also drink way less beer than I used to years ago, with the strange hours that you can buy it being a major factor. Thank you, Thailand, for helping me to drink less alcohol! - I usually catch up when abroad...

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/3/2021 at 1:43 PM, Harveyboy said:

great idea ..got any tips

There you have it: one mole of sucrose (table sugar) goes to four moles of ethanol. This is a quiz. Suppose to three liters of grape juice, each contains 22 grams sugar , you add 750 grams sugar. If the reaction goes to completion with help of tablespoon yeast. What will the percent of alcohol by volume be ? Show work

Screenshot_2021-10-10-19-36-59-46.jpg

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Correct. And many wealthy people enjoy good wine and will not pay stupid prices for it. Thailand has simply priced itself out of the market, for wealthy or even affluent tourists who like to shop for luxury goods and like to drink fine wine while on vacation, but refuse to pay these stupid taxes. This archaic policy has cost Thailand countless wealthy tourists who come here once, and never return.

I know several personally, who refused to return, once bitten by the staggering ignorance and arrogance. 

You want wealthy tourists? Give up something for it. Make some sacrifices, simpletons! 

Actually, the selection is pretty good in Thailand, depending on the distributor. I've resigned myself to having to pay more, but since wine is one of life's great pleasures, what the heck.

If one wants, such wines as Sassicaia, Solaia, Tignanello, Masseto Toscana, Guado al Tasso, a range of Elio Altare Barolos, and some more modest priced wines from Pio Cesare, Ceretto, La Spinetta, Banfi and Carpineto can be found. Some distributors have a good range of less common wines, like Nerello Mascaleses or Nero d'Avolas from Sicily, or Aglianicos from Basilicata, which are reasonably priced and surprisingly good. (Yes, all noted are Italians).

I've seen some quality US wines in shops like Jordan, Stag's Leap and Schrader.

Granted most of the above noted wines are not every day wines, but they are available for special occasions or for the well heeled. Where price hits hardest is in the low to mid range, as the full tax is often added on. For very high priced wines, most importers declare a significantly lower value, assuming most Customs officials are unaware of the actual price of top end wines, so in an odd way, the top end wines offer greater 'value' in Thailand.

Edited by Walker88
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

with the strange hours that you can buy it being a major factor

Are you not awake between 11 - 2pm and 5pm - 10pm on just one day a week when you can go to Tesco or Makro and buy a case of cans ( or a couple) much cheaper than going each day to 7-11?

Edited by KannikaP

2 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Are you not awake between 11 - 2pm and 5pm - 10pm on just one day a week when you can go to Tesco or Makro and buy a case of cans ( or a couple) much cheaper than going each day to 7-11?

Have a couple of distributors near me that sell all day long.. not ready chilled of course. They are available in central Pattaya......

• Like 1

On 10/10/2021 at 7:49 PM, morrobay said:

There you have it: one mole of sucrose (table sugar) goes to four moles of ethanol. This is a quiz. Suppose to three liters of grape juice, each contains 22 grams sugar , you add 750 grams sugar. If the reaction goes to completion with help of tablespoon yeast. What will the percent of alcohol by volume be ? Show work

Screenshot_2021-10-10-19-36-59-46.jpg

IMG20211014081101.jpg

On 10/10/2021 at 9:28 PM, spidermike007 said:

It would take some crafty, visionary, strong and honorable politicians to just say no to the rich clowns and get the economy steaming forward. It has been done before in other places and it needs to be done here. Never in a million years will sold out hacks like Cha Cha step up. Just another reason to oust the dinosaurs. 

I would say what Thailand is now, is all Thailand is ever going to be.  Thailand will continue to slip further behind as the years turn into decades.  It's a shame, because it's a country with a lot of potential.  

1 hour ago, Salerno said:

Not much of a wine drinker but just had this mob pop up in a feed. Perhaps of use (can't say I remember seeing the name on here but can't say it would have stuck if I did)?

VinesToVino Pattaya NEW head office is now open on Thepprasit Road.

While our main business is supplying Hotels/Restaurants, we are open to the public:

Tuesday-Saturday 11:00-14:00 (closed Sunday & Monday)

We have our own exclusive ranges which cannot be bought in Supermarkets and Shops.

https://www.vinestovino.com

Looks like they deliver (minimum 12 bottles). Example of some reds (8 cheapest and 8 most expensive) to see if you recognise any and if any are at least semi drinkable:

1541611555_Red-Vines-to-Vino(1).png.07f1b1397788f76304798bc5848fe4ff.png535959792_Red-Vines-to-Vino(2).png.13a7d2013c47955294914d9f13b0e3f2.png

I use them a lot. Excellent supplier and super nice people.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

I use them a lot. Excellent supplier and super nice people.

Cool, I figured from their spiel they weren't new to the game and the wine drinkers here would have bumped into them. I reckon they popped up in my feed as that ubiquitous spy saw me looking at a wine fridge for sale in FB  marketplace 555

https-scontent-fmel4-1-fna-fbcdn-net-v-t45-5328-4-p720x720-243753150_4431063926932825_70026035618869-id-c48759-_nc_ohc-mppp0s_RS0UAX8fTyk6-_nc_ht-scontent-fmel4.png.3a58f6e7645bbddcb5963057f970ea90.png

• Haha 1