Thailand reports fewest COVID-19 deaths since July

Jonathan Fairfield

Death numbers continue to fall with 11 deaths/million of population recorded over the past 7 days, down 11%, according to the worldometer ranking. 

This places Thailand 70 th in the world below both Vietnam and Philippines. 

Cases also fell 10% over the same period. 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/weekly-trends/#weekly_table

Edited by Kadilo
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Another View I have is that with the Covid Variants changing, and they will continue to do so, just like other viruses do, we need to stop the continued case counting from the beginning of Covid time and just return to yearly stats, the keeping a running total is starting to wear thin on many people and another reason that people are fighting so hard against the restrictions and such, as they continue to compare this month with last month

That is true of countries who have a high vaccination rate where absolute numbers of infections are becoming less relevant as a measure - Thailand isn't there yet 

• Like 1

Pattaya launches major vaccination drive ahead of November opening

Chonburi’s tourist magnet, Pattaya City, is accelerating its Covid-19 vaccination drive in a bid to boost herd immunity before the city reopens in November.

The authorities are placing a special focus on elderly, bed-ridden patients as well those with chronic diseases and those vulnerable to infections.

Pattaya’s mayor Sonthaya Kunplome on Saturday oversaw the vaccination drive at Pattaya City Hospital and also led teams to the homes of bed-ridden patients.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40006973

• Like 1

Top Thai virologist claims herd immunity does not work with COVID-19

“Forget about herd immunity because it will not work with COVID-19.” So says Dr. Yong Poovorawan, chief of the Centre of Excellence in Clinical Virology at the Faculty of Medicine of Chulalongkorn University, in his Facebook post on Sunday.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/top-thai-virologist-claims-herd-immunity-does-not-work-with-covid-19/

35 minutes ago, anchadian said:

“Forget about herd immunity because it will not work with COVID-19.” So says Dr. Yong Poovorawan, chief of the Centre of Excellence in Clinical Virology at the Faculty of Medicine of Chulalongkorn University, in his Facebook post on Sunday.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/top-thai-virologist-claims-herd-immunity-does-not-work-with-covid-19/

He's only stating the obvious with experience from other countries but nothing wrong with that, being endemic and learning to live with it is a given now. As .long as its controlled at or below acceptable levels.

Of course vaccinations need to be upped a long way yet. Thailand's not there yet. 

Endemic does not mean harmless so constant monitoring will be required for the foreseeable future.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

Strangely enough in the provincial cases several provinces have the exact the same as yesterday. Phetchaburi 99, Prachuap kiri Kan 201 and also Kanchanaburi....

Health officials on Saturday (Oct 2) reported 78 new COVID-19 cases, 19 were found in Hua Hin.

Elsewhere in the province, 46 cases were found in Pranburi, 4 cases in Sam Roi Yot, 4 cases in Kuiburi, No- case found in Thap Sakae, No-case in Bang Saphan, 3 cases found in Bang Saphan Noi, and 2 cases in Mueang Prachuap Khiri Khan.

Health officials on Sunday (Oct 3) reported 105 new COVID-19 cases, 22 were found in Hua Hin.

Elsewhere in the province, 32 cases were found in Pranburi, 1 case in Sam Roi Yot, 7 cases in Kuiburi, 1 case found in Thap Sakae, 17 cases in Bang Saphan, zero cases found in Bang Saphan Noi, and 14 cases in Mueang Prachuap Khiri Khan.

Oct 3: Prachuap reports 105 new COVID-19 cases, 22 cases in Hua Hin - Hua Hin Today English Newspaper Info, Reports, Events and News Social Life

Edited by worrab
Add
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, worrab said:

Health officials on Saturday (Oct 2) reported 78 new COVID-19 cases, 19 were found in Hua Hin.

Elsewhere in the province, 46 cases were found in Pranburi, 4 cases in Sam Roi Yot, 4 cases in Kuiburi, No- case found in Thap Sakae, No-case in Bang Saphan, 3 cases found in Bang Saphan Noi, and 2 cases in Mueang Prachuap Khiri Khan.

Health officials on Sunday (Oct 3) reported 105 new COVID-19 cases, 22 were found in Hua Hin.

Elsewhere in the province, 32 cases were found in Pranburi, 1 case in Sam Roi Yot, 7 cases in Kuiburi, 1 case found in Thap Sakae, 17 cases in Bang Saphan, zero cases found in Bang Saphan Noi, and 14 cases in Mueang Prachuap Khiri Khan.

Oct 3: Prachuap reports 105 new COVID-19 cases, 22 cases in Hua Hin - Hua Hin Today English Newspaper Info, Reports, Events and News Social Life

I read a newspaper the thaiger and there were the same numbers at 16.00

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/sunday-afternoon-covid-19-update-provincial-totals

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/saturday-afternoon-covid-19-update-provincial-totals

Edited by ikke1959

Just spoke to the GF's daughter and it appears that here in Bangkok they started break last week after having spent this entire term doing on-line learning.  She told her mother and I that she now goes back in November for the new term and only will they start in class learning after almost all of the teachers are vaccinated with many from her school being vaccinated this coming week.  She also said that she will have to take a covid test the week before the classes start and then every two weeks they will be ATK tested.  I have yet to see anything in writing from the school, but this was also confirmed by the daughters father who wanted to know if my GF had been vaccinated as only when she has had her first vaccination will he allow the daughter, who had covid and is now covid free to come and visit.  I asked him when he was going to be vaccinated along with his family, and he said they will be vaccinated this next month because they had not needed to be vaccinated as they had all had covid, and he had had covid twice.  It is a major mess as far as I see it.  Has anyone else here in BKK heard that the schools will indeed restart the next term in November?.  I am sure a few of the regulars who post in this topic thread would like to know as well.

20 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Just spoke to the GF's daughter and it appears that here in Bangkok they started break last week after having spent this entire term doing on-line learning.  She told her mother and I that she now goes back in November for the new term and only will they start in class learning after almost all of the teachers are vaccinated with many from her school being vaccinated this coming week.  She also said that she will have to take a covid test the week before the classes start and then every two weeks they will be ATK tested.  I have yet to see anything in writing from the school, but this was also confirmed by the daughters father who wanted to know if my GF had been vaccinated as only when she has had her first vaccination will he allow the daughter, who had covid and is now covid free to come and visit.  I asked him when he was going to be vaccinated along with his family, and he said they will be vaccinated this next month because they had not needed to be vaccinated as they had all had covid, and he had had covid twice.  It is a major mess as far as I see it.  Has anyone else here in BKK heard that the schools will indeed restart the next term in November?.  I am sure a few of the regulars who post in this topic thread would like to know as well.

I've heard nothing about my son's international school, but term already started in August and is due to finish in December, so I have a horrible feeling it might remain online for the rest of the year!

I'm a teacher for adults in a language institute at Centralworld and we've been told we should be able to resume face-to-face classes in a week or so, with restrictions (85% of staff vaccinated, masks and temperature checks, 1.5 metre distancing etc.).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cheap but quality ATKs to be available at GPO stores in Bangkok on Oct 18th

The Government Pharmaceutical Organization (GPO) will put two million quality rapid antigen test kits (ATKs) on sale to the public, for home use, at 40 baht per kit at its eight stores in Bangkok from October 18th.

GPO Deputy Director Sirikul Matevelungsun said today (Sunday) that the ATKs, procured by the GPO, are of standard quality and are much cheaper than those available in private pharmacies.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/cheap-but-quality-atks-to-be-available-at-gpo-stores-in-bangkok-on-oct-18th/

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Thanks for the update. 

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

We had a msg from our daughter's private school yesterday saying that next week's online classes will be the last as they're preparing for reopening in November. This is in Kanchanaburi.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, anchadian said:

I'd go with that, same as one of the Oxford professors stated. He said herd immunity not possible, should be talking about herd protection.

• Like 1