Does TL have compulsory vaccination for new borns?

MlLAN

The officer here does not want to give us a birth certificate for our newborn unless it got those injections. (Not about covid, vaccs in general)

Edited by MlLAN

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

As far as I know, there is no law specifically requiring pediatric immunizations, but there is a law requiring children to go to school and they can't enroll without having been fully vaccinated. There are also general laws on child endangerment and refusal to vaccinate or allow other needed health care could be considered  endangerment.

It is quite unheard of in Thailand for parents to refuse vaccination for their infants. And also extremely unwise.  The risks of getting many of the vaccine-preventable diseases is far higher here than in the West.

You are both swimming against the tide and endangering your child.

Thanks a lot for your quick answer. So, I guess if we show up there with a lawyer the officer has to hand us the papers. Perfect! 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 2

I had to deal very clearly and also loudly with an unconvincing doctor who absolutely wanted to vaccinate our child immediately after birth. Stay tough, objective and clear, do not let the child out of your sight and then it is possible to get your child out of the hospital in Thailand without vaccination. 
Vaccination is not a requirement for the issuance of a birth certificate. The best immune protection is still three years of breast milk, as nature intended.

• Confused 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

will not protect a child from vaccine preventable diseases.

The lying fairy tales of "orthodox medicine" do not get better when they are constantly repeated. <deleted> remains <deleted>, just try it and you will be surprised how well and healthy children develop without injections.

Edited by geistfunke
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, geistfunke said:

I had to deal very clearly and also loudly with an unconvincing doctor who absolutely wanted to vaccinate our child immediately after birth. Stay tough, objective and clear, do not let the child out of your sight and then it is possible to get your child out of the hospital in Thailand without vaccination. 
Vaccination is not a requirement for the issuance of a birth certificate. The best immune protection is still three years of breast milk, as nature intended.

Try getting your child into a good school in Thailand without the required vaccinations..... 

.... That said, if you care so little about your childs health and are ready to take the gamble on non-vaccination I doubt you have considered their education.... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My kid is 10 and she had the shots required. This was a private hospital where we took her for the first 5 yrs. I let the medical professionals do their thing, I'm not educated enough to say no to them. These vaccines have been around for years, unlike the newest covid vaccine which I will say no to for my kid if there's a choice.

35 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Birth certificate is issued by the Amphur Office, it's nothing to do with the hospital.

I know for a fact that here it is the hospital that hands out the birth certificate. Now I don't know if they obtain from the amphur first, but they're the ones handing it out.

2 minutes ago, stevenl said:
39 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Birth certificate is issued by the Amphur Office, it's nothing to do with the hospital.

I know for a fact that here it is the hospital that hands out the birth certificate. Now I don't know if they obtain from the amphur first, but they're the ones handing it out.

Same here.... it was the Hosptial which ‘handed’ us our Sons birth certificate....   perhaps some of the busier hospitals  the hospitals have ‘amphur officer' on location or an arrangement with the local Amphur Office to have the documents prepped quickly.

54 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I think what he is talking about is the document the hospital issues that you take to the Amphur.

Obviously not too smart if he will not have the child vaccinated.

I suspect that the kids wearing leg braces I remember seeing as a child would have appreciated if  a Polio vaccine had been available.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Hospital issues notice of birth, which you then take to your Amphur office and they issue a Birth Certificate, and update your house book.

Some hospitals will do it for you at extra cost,

Also best to do it yourself as the hospital usually manage to mess up foreigner names, it's hard to correct and many people don't like some strangers name in the 'reporting the birth' box of your kid's BC.

I don't know about quickly, 

My kid was born late at night, I collected the notice at 8am along with all the other dads, and we drove to the Amphur office, the BC was in my hand my 9:30. I guess it might be more difficult for foreigners who can't read, write and speak Thai.

Correct. And the hospital cannot refuse to issue it if the baby wasn't vaccinated. Parents might chose to vaccinate elsewhere than the hospital, for one thing - they are not obligated to do it at the hospital.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

I believe the hospital acts on your behalf, as Bumrungrad did our daughters, they even asked me if I wanted one in english as well. It took a couple of days of course I had to pay for it.

On 10/5/2021 at 11:38 AM, MlLAN said:

The officer here does not want to give us a birth certificate for our newborn unless it got those injections. (Not about covid, vaccs in general)

Actually you have to wait about 1 or 2 months before you start do vaccinations on newborns

Hospital issues notice of birth, which you then take to your Amphur office and they issue a Birth Certificate, and update your house book.

Also best to do it yourself as the hospital usually manage to mess up foreigner names, it's hard to correct and many people don't like some strangers name in the 'reporting the birth' box of your kid's BC.

My kid was born late at night, I collected the notice at 8am along with all the other dads, and we drove to the Amphur office, the BC was in my hand my 9:30. I guess it might be more difficult for foreigners who can't read, write and speak Thai.

You have a time limit - I think to remember 3 days or 72 hours - during which you need register the birth at the tessa ban district office, and get a birth certificate with Thai ID-number and the child's name, and registration in a house book.

That's how it worked for me when my daughter was born. If a foreigner is parent and the child is going to have the foreigner's family name, then a proper translation of the passport is needed, preferably from an authorized translator...????

We were just given the Birth Certificate by the hospital (Bumrungrad).

I do recall the hospital asking us to confirm my Son’s name, which we hadn’t decided upon for the first couple of days. 

The Birth Cert is not something I even thought about before or after, we just ‘had a Birth Certificate for my son when we left the hospital - I just figured it happens that way everywhere.

We probably paid for that service as part of the hospital bill (which was all covered by insurance anyway). 

Had I known or even thought about it before hand it would make sense to follow BritMans advice above, just to make sure the Docs were correct as such mistakes could be quite common. 

As far as vaccinations are concerned - I wanted my son to have the full regimen of vaccinations - Vaccines documents have been checked as part of the admittance process at both of his schools (Int’l schools). 

I also wanted my Son to have a Meningococcal B vaccine which is issued in the UK - The hospital could only vaccinate my son with the Meningococcal vaccine for Asia. As we visited the UK a lot I also wanted cover for that strain but was unable to secure it. 

On 10/5/2021 at 4:13 PM, Sheryl said:

As far as I know, there is no law specifically requiring pediatric immunizations, but there is a law requiring children to go to school and they can't enroll without having been fully vaccinated. There are also general laws on child endangerment and refusal to vaccinate or allow other needed health care could be considered  endangerment.

It is quite unheard of in Thailand for parents to refuse vaccination for their infants. And also extremely unwise.  The risks of getting many of the vaccine-preventable diseases is far higher here than in the West.

You are both swimming against the tide and endangering your child.

Well said, Sheryl!! ????????????

19 hours ago, dsj said:

Actually you have to wait about 1 or 2 months before you start do vaccinations on newborns

Not correct, varies with the vaccine. There are several vaccines that need to be given at birth, including: oral polio, BCG and Hepatitis B.   The BCG efficacy is not the best and could arguably be dispensed with but the other two are important, most especially Hepatitis B, which is endemic in Thailand. If given promptly at birth (preferrably within 2 hours of delivery) Hep B vaccine can reduce the likeliihood of transmission if them other was a carrier (many Thais are asymptomatic carriers of Hep B).

It is the vaccines for diptheria, pertussis and tetanus that do nto start until 6 weeks of age.

• Like 1