Thai Food - ?

Boarn

When we speak of Thai food, many think of the mobile noodle vendors selling soup made of water with spices and bits of sinewy pieces of pork. Or fried noodle dishes glistening with cheap oil. We have a upperscale Sea Food place on the beach here that caters mostly to Thais. Love the whole steamed Flounder 700 tbh, always have Tom Yum which makes eating more interesting, the yam dishes are good to pick at, kid loves the raw shrimp plates. The 3 of us order more than we should but always eat it all, usually runs in the 1500 tbh range for a nice dinner. 

The only noodle joint I like is the franchise joint next to 7-11's, the number 4 place.

Since staying here full time for 2 yrs now I cook at home more and more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't eat Thai food very often, preferring my own constructed meals but I think it is a good cuisine with a good balance of meat, veg and fresh ingredients.  I completely disagree that Indian and many others are better. Indian food is often overcooked curries with not much fresh veg and too much meat in a similar way to British and German. Western food is often highly processed, although Italian is good. 

You should avoid bias by substituting 'preferred' for 'good'. Good can mean many things.

• Like 1

Interesting to look at the replies to the topic ???? 

I suppose my main peeve is that when I moved here in 2005 I didn't need to even entertain Thai food. My average meal cost was 200 baht for a great meal of the cuisine of my choice, the prices have skyrocketed for restaurants in the same area, sometimes pushing 1000 for in essence the same thing.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Boarn said:

o name a few foods far better than Thai;

Indian

Mexican

All European from Portuguese to French, Italian to Spanish

Chinese

Japanese

American

UK, pie and peas, can't even buy mushy peas here, anywhere, even a shockingly put together steak and kidney pie beats the most refined Pad Ga Pow

Middle Eastern

Brazilian

Infact most South American

Mozambican

Feel free to relocate and end your torment.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

my wife looks on english food the way you look on Thai food. It's all a matter of taste, i guess.

Personally - i like the occassional pie chips and beans, my wife cooks a decent carbonara but on a Saturday night with beer, then we share a huge homemade yum wunsen and it's perfect.

I know, should i return to the UK, i would miss Thai food much more than I miss English food.

Having said that, i could proper kill someone for a decent English Breakfast!!

• Like 2