Thai Food - ?

Boarn

22 hours ago, Boarn said:

Pla ra, Gaeng Thai Pla and all the other fermented <deleted> is vile to put it lightly. Rice noodle used far too often when egg noodles are far better, everything eaten with hideous jasmine rice when basmati rise is so much more palatable.

I divide my culinary experience with Thai food to an era before Thailand (BT) and after Thailand (AT), a more sobering realisation that what I thought was Thai food as experienced in Thai restaurants (outside Thailand) was in fact a westernised version of genuine thing. I certainly have never come across any of the vile fermented concoctions during my BT (pla ra) that Thais love so much; or the awful stench produced by cooking (burning more like) garlic and shrimp paste...or the horrible taste of cooked basil or bitter melon. I find it fascinating to see Thais sitting on the floor to eat...right next to perfectly good table, and then proceed to tuck into their raw vegetables? I am not sure if that occurs only within the lower strata of Thai society like village people or Hi So as well?

• Like 2

Forwarding this article's link to the deportation unit of Thai immigration. 

Choose your destination--

23 hours ago, Boarn said:

Indian

Mexican

All European from Portuguese to French, Italian to Spanish

Chinese

Japanese

American

UK, pie and peas, can't even buy mushy peas here, anywhere, even a shockingly put together steak and kidney pie beats the most refined Pad Ga Pow

Middle Eastern

Brazilian

Infact most South American

Mozambican

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Boarn said:

Believe me I've tried, I know exactly what Thai food can be.

My first suggestion is to stick to Thai food that is prepared in Central Thailand style rather than Issan style.

Central Thailand was historically blessed with a much greater variety and higher quality of vegetables and fruit when compared with Issan.  Consequently their traditional recipes use more fresh ingredients.

Have you eaten Thai food cooked by someone whose prime motivation is your good health and enjoyment?

I'm willing to wager a substantial stake on NO.

7 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

My first suggestion is to stick to Thai food that is prepared in Central Thailand style rather than Issan style.

Central Thailand was historically blessed with a much greater variety and higher quality of vegetables and fruit when compared with Issan.  Consequently their traditional recipes use more fresh ingredients.

Have you eaten Thai food cooked by someone whose prime motivation is your good health and enjoyment?

I'm willing to wager a substantial stake on NO.

Yes, and on occasion one can enjoy food in fancy Thai restaurant, but it's once a 3 month deal and when you see the bill you realise you could have had any other cuisines which would have been enjoyed more.

On 10/5/2021 at 12:36 PM, Boarn said:

I'm sick to the back teeth of people saying how much they like Thai food, why, how, what's wrong with you?

"I'm sick to the back teeth of people saying how much they like Thai food, why, how, what's wrong with you?" he says. Why don't you like what I like?

• Like 2

How can Thai food taste good if meat, fish, shrimp is of poor quality. Almost all supermarkets sell this poor quality..
These products freshly prepared taste like water.
Usually I buy meat from Australia, New Zealand and fish from the sea 400 THB per kilo.
We prefer Indian, Latin and Chinese food ourselves.

• Like 2

LOVE Thai food! It's the best! Can't even express how "aroy" it is! How can anyone not love Thai food??? You just gotta give it another chance. You just don't know what you're missing!

How's those back teeth feeling now? :clap2:

Edited by Skeptic7
  • Like 2

On 10/5/2021 at 12:41 PM, Dmaxdan said:

Are we not entitled to our own opinion?

Yes indeed. Having read many of the interesting posts for and against various foods, I entirely agree with your comment. Regarding fish & chips with mushy peas in Thailand, I wondered if Thai people visiting the UK moan about not finding fried chicken feet impaled on sticks or a plate of freshly pan roasted crickets!! Personally I hate chili and whenever eating in a Thai restaurant, I had to state "mai phed kap" (not spicy please). Fortunately nowadays, Cambodian food is far more to my liking, with chili being a side dish choice rather than an additive, my favourites being the traditional Khmer amok dishes and local BBQ style Khmer beef. For those of you in Thailand who may not be aware, Kao Soi is an inexpensive traditional Lanna dish served across the North of Thailand and is worth trying. It consists of a boiled/steamed (not fried) chicken leg served on soft noodles covered with a curry flavoured sauce and topped with crispy noodles and coriander. It is served with a side dish of sliced red onion, cucumber or pickled greens and lime segments (for the juice topping).

Khao Soi (Chiang Mai) Noodles - Inquiring Chef

• Thanks 1

On 10/5/2021 at 1:03 PM, Boarn said:

Believe me I've tried, I know exactly what Thai food can be.

Thai food is just Chinese food enhanced with Indian spices with the many curries.  Fried rice, chicken rice, noodles, Jok are all Chinese food. 

If you like Chinese food and Indian food, you should also like Thai food except for the raw ones like Som Tam.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

I am new to Thailand but most of the Thai food I’ve had so far has been pretty good, I mainly eat papaya salad because it’s quite healthy and grilled chicken. 
They make food too spicy though in my opinion, but too each their own. 

Stuff I have occasionally because it’s not very healthy is pad Thai, kuey teow, Suki fried noodles, roast pork belly, fried pork, fried chicken, 

not sure if this is Thai food but it was in the Thai food section of the menu, cashew chicken, mixed vegetables with shrimp, braised pork ribs with pineapple, stir fried fish with black pepper, green curry chicken, chicken in coconut soup 

I’m not a huge fan of rice dishes or boiled noodle dishes, just my personal preference 

I actually like Thai fruit more than the cooked food, tastes better than western fruit in my opinion 

should check out central eatery in chidlom bangkok, it’s like a whole foods and they have Thai food that’s been a lot better quality than what I get from Thai restaurants/street food, price is about the same too. I actually never liked papaya salad until i ate it here, tastes way fresher.

Edited by dj230

Why would you be "sick of it" if others are having a different opinion than you. There isn't just one taste & ours isn't the benchmark.

While I felt the same/similar about Thai street food when I lived there and about Cambodian street food now, that attitude ruins the post.

Eat & let eat ????

I'm sure not a fan of food stuffed with chilli, but Chicken Phad Thai, & Massaman Curry are my 2 favorite dishes, & I ate them long before I came here.  Beef Massaman, for me is amazing. Just a little bit of chilli I can handle.

On 10/5/2021 at 12:46 PM, Boarn said:

Yes of course however I would argue that lots of people who claim to love Thai food are either;

1. Lying, in order to convince themselves that eating it every day is out of choice and not necessity.

2. Saying it's a favourite when they are not actually in Thailand and desire it as a one off 'treat'.

3. Insane

My wife is Thai ,she lived in the UK for 7 years ,she is a great cook ,i love her Thai food and her Baked Potatoes are to die for , my most favourite food is Italian .

13 hours ago, HappyGoLuckyLife said:

1. I live here in the US for now. Eat homemade Thai food 5 out of 7 days (I cook todays to give my wife a break.)

2. It is my favorite next to authentic Japanese ramen. Again eat it daily.

3. No, I just like what I like. 

Don't get me wrong, you're entitle to your opinion. I just wouldn't have moved to a country where I hate the food. No matter how many years I've been there.

And that's why the Philippines was a protracted. Business trip and Bangkok remained "home"

• Like 1

My wife's a good cook.  Most of what she's made over the last 43 years is Thai/Vietnamese, so I'm used to it.  I get vegetarian versions, so I avoid some of the smellier ingredients.  She avoids the sugar/MSG, but does use too much salt. 

I like Indian and Mexican.  I've had a few mid-eastern dishes that are quite good. 

17 hours ago, The Cipher said:

Dude, no offence, but how can you insult people who like Thai food and then up British food - a food that's literally mocked the world over for being bland?

I think British food is bland but then that is why there's seasonings, sauces, gravies, herbs, creams, condiments etc.

Take away the spices, herbs, sauces, seasonings, condiments, etc. from Thai food, what are you left with? Bland food.

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

You might want to step it up a notch. Perhaps you have set your sights too low, with regard to the caliber of restaurants you are choosing. There is some spectacular food here that I am incredibly thankful for!

No doubt there is a lot of great Thai food. and I enjoy a lot of it, but it all depends where in Thailand you are. We are in khon Kaen and they put way too much sugar  and or stinky stuff in food here for my taste. 

Even western can foods that I was familiar with back in the US here in Thailand  are produced  different .

I enjoy making my own Pizza, so the other day that we were at Macro I bought a couple of jars of Heinz spaghetti sauce for those days that I am lazy and don't feel making tomato sauce. After I made the pizza it tasted very sweet and I was confused. I did not remember putting any sugar in it? 

I thought I made a mistake and instead of salt I had put sugar in the dough. Then another day , before again making pizza, i opened another can of the spaghetti sauce,and for some reason I decided to test it before I used it. It was full of sugar!! 

Same when I ordered Wonton soup from a sheet vendor.. It was sweet!!

I like sweet in my deserts, but certainly not in my dinner. 

18 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

Thai food is probably the biggest reason I’m still living here.

Would agree--pretty much financial for me and always has been --been in LOS since 2008 and return home to work but come here to spend it

Housing

Food options

Healthcare

So basic human needs which are way too $$$ in the states where ive been cooking for over 30+yrs

I was even a Chef for Whole Foods Organic market--where I couldnt even afford to shop-but got to eat what i was cooking

I like the thought of access for all in LOS....everyone can eat healthy--but have to "CHOOSE" to...

I think of the locality..the rice, and effort to plant it--the fruit right off the trees--the local butcher shop--local markets

and enjoy eating a simple grilled chicken(normal size) or pork steak with a side salad and fries for less then 2usd

Vegetarian options, fruits I never tried back home or ones that are imported and $$$ and taste like <deleted>

Only the rich can eat well in the states and they make it so easy to eat <deleted> food--thailand is just accessible to me

for ready to eat options--fruit lady---soup from stock, slow roasted pork leg, fresh ground chilis for curries..etc, cheap veggies

And where I am up north in CNX there is such a variety--indian-western-japanese-vietnamese-thai-mexican-burmese-etc--all affordable

I recall coming home after first trip to LOS in 2008 and wanting thai food-spent 15usd in pad gra prow(basil chicken) and it sucked and was $$$

I lose weight without trying when i return to LOS and gain weight when i return home to the junky processed boxed <deleted> that is western diets for the poor

As noted being culinary trained and a working chef, alot comes down to WHO is cooking your food, same as who is giving you a massage! ????

47 minutes ago, sirineou said:

No doubt there is a lot of great Thai food. and I enjoy a lot of it, but it all depends where in Thailand you are. We are in khon Kaen and they put way too much sugar  and or stinky stuff in food here for my taste. 

Even western can foods that I was familiar with back in the US here in Thailand  are produced  different .

I enjoy making my own Pizza, so the other day that we were at Macro I bought a couple of jars of Heinz spaghetti sauce for those days that I am lazy and don't feel making tomato sauce. After I made the pizza it tasted very sweet and I was confused. I did not remember putting any sugar in it? 

I thought I made a mistake and instead of salt I had put sugar in the dough. Then another day , before again making pizza, i opened another can of the spaghetti sauce,and for some reason I decided to test it before I used it. It was full of sugar!! 

Same when I ordered Wonton soup from a sheet vendor.. It was sweet!!

I like sweet in my deserts, but certainly not in my dinner. 

555 Yep I was a Chef in CNX for a Hiso market and I cooked live in store...I too remember the Heinz sauce and the "sweetness"..had to cut it with other options to balance it...same as the mayo--needing a western mayo(best foods) and the thai mayo(ugh)....thais and their sweet stuff!!! But the theory of the hot spots in your mouth--sweet-salty-spicy-sour makes sense for the condiments on a street stall shop--which makes the taste buds fire on all cylinders....but all about "balance"!