UK drops advice against non-urgent travel to 32 destinations

webfact

15 hours ago, sirineou said:

The red list is not punitive but rather reflects conditions on the said country , number of infections and levels of vaccination.

In Thailand not only are the levels of infection still relatively high , but the numbers are not trusted to be accurate because of the low rate of testing. In addition only a small percentage of the population is vaccinated, and those that are vaccinated , are by substandard vaccines,  giving fear of the rise of a new Covid variant geveloping there and being imported back to the UK. 

And the UK with 20 to 30 thousand cases per day, few people wearing masks, large gatherings for leisure and protests, inconsistent rules between the different 'countries', political in-fighting creating inconsistent messages, and an overloaded and largely ignored App based quarantine system, is the gold standard by which all others shall be judged?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Thaiophil said:

There is no link between FCDO advice and the red list which is run by the Health Dept. It has been clear from the start that there is no coordination between the two depts. So Thailand may still come off the red list later this week 

It is widely reported in UK media that the red list will be cut to about 12 countries. On official figures, Thailand would not be in the worst 12, but cynics might think the positive trend in the figures here is convenient for the start of the tourist season

This is correct. The Red List is expected to be revised today (7 Oct) or very shortly. 

1 hour ago, DoctorB said:

This is correct. The Red List is expected to be revised today (7 Oct) or very shortly. 

It's done and Thailand are off the red list, and vaccines administered here are now approved (AZ, Pfizer, Moderna and Janssen).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kinnock said:

And the UK with 20 to 30 thousand cases per day, few people wearing masks, large gatherings for leisure and protests, inconsistent rules between the different 'countries', political in-fighting creating inconsistent messages, and an overloaded and largely ignored App based quarantine system, is the gold standard by which all others shall be judged?

Not at al.

I just checked and it seems you are right. The UK with  comparable population numbers had 40,701  cases  yesterday, and as such seems to be in worst shape than  Thailand. 

The only thing I can think is that the UK does not depend on Tourism as much as Thailand does, and they can afford to be more strict, And that they might not trust the Thai numbers.  Other than that there seems to be a double standard. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I just checked and it seems you are right. The UK with  comparable population numbers had 40,701  cases  yesterday, and as such seems to be in worst shape than  Thailand.

Four times the cases, but maybe more than four times the tests carried out?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, treetops said:

Four times the cases, but maybe more than four times the tests carried out?

i agree, I think cases in Thailand are widely under-reported.

I am not sure if it is still true, but it was the case that if you were reported to be positive with covid, even if you were asymptomatic, you would have to go into state run  quarantine. Who in their right mind would want o be tested them? and even if they were tested positive but were asymptomatic, they would try to have the results not reported. 

11 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

They will find craap in your rented home - be it your sofa, tv, bed, tables, they can take it all. The only things they can't take is things you need for work. 

Do yourself a favour and get this 'ill play the system' out of your thought process. 

No way, it is every UK persons duty to get as much out of the system as they can, the MPs are doing it, having 2nd mortgages on houses at taxpayers expense, they are stealing of OAPs by not allowing their annual state pension increases in most other countries, putting up migrants arriving in boats from France after they have passed through other countries making their way to the UK gravy train, again at the taxpayers expense, want me to go on?