Wise transfers not being processed as International (Specifically Bangkok Bank)

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

I just did another transfer and Wise tell me it will be there on Monday but I think it ill b Tuesday as Monday is a substitution day for Chulalongkorn Day (Saturday).

You will get it Monday. The extra day holiday was changed to today. Friday.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pontious said:

Thank you for the information. This lot running the government change rules, regulations, holidays etc more often than they change their underwear.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, pontious said:

I did a Wise transfer and that send it in account faster than a flash of lighting what they said then your bank may take up to 2 days to process the money. 

From quick as lighting to the snail pace of Thailand Bkk bank. ???? 

• Confused 1

Can anyone on here supply me with an example (redacted, of course) of the letter I need from Bangkok Bank to confirm that my transfer to my account originated from Wise? My branch is in Phayao and I'm frightened that I may have a communication problem.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, pontious said:

You contact them and ask them to do it.

Received yesterday from Wise after asking about tagging and what the 'long term' option means. The 'tagging' process no longer exists.

We unfortunately cannot guarantee exclusive routing that will show the payment as an international transfer.

I'm sorry to hear about any frustrations this change may have caused.
The alternative FET solution should be sufficient for these cases.
While we try to send out transfers for long term stays in Thailand as international transfers, it unfortunately is no longer possible for us to guarantee it will show up as an international transfer in the end, due to how we operate and the regulations we must follow

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I did a Wise transfer and that send it in account faster than a flash of lighting what they said then your bank may take up to 2 days to process the money. 

I think you've missed the point somewhat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

You understand why some Bangkok Bank transfers take longer? the clue is in the thread title

19 minutes ago, tommygun809 said:

Can anyone on here supply me with an example (redacted, of course) of the letter I need from Bangkok Bank to confirm that my transfer to my account originated from Wise? My branch is in Phayao and I'm frightened that I may have a communication problem.

Bangkok Bank may not be keen to provide such a letter as they do not have proof of origin.  So first download PDF receipt from Wise.  That may be all you need.  If more required that PDF will advise the account bank used to pay into your Bangkok Bank account and you ask that bank international department for a credit advice using the information from PDF receipt.  As a last resort that credit advise might be used by Bangkok Bank to write letter for immigration.  But in most cases if you show a deposit and a Wise PDF supporting it expect immigration will be happy.

• Like 2

So after 5 emails to Wise asking them to "tag" my transfer to BBL and not getting a reassuring response.

I logged into Wise and added a dollar to dollar swift transfer option.

Haven't tried it yet. Next transfer in Nov.

I see it will cost more, not sure how much, and slower.

A few extra dollars isn't a problem nor is 4 to 5 working days.

I will see if a test transfer on the 1st works, and if not.... what do you think of doing the swift, dollar to dollar?

I also tried another option. I created a new recipient in Wise giving the Bangkok NY ABA routing number. So a transfer in Wise to that account appears as a domestic (US) transfer. Then BBK NY (not Wise) forwards the money to my account in Thailand. Should come through as FFT here. The trans would be BBK NY to BBK here and would never be routed to any other bank. We'll see. I tried a test amount yesterday so it will probably be Monday or even Tuesday before it appears. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

But did it go to BBK bank via KBank and does it show as FTT or International Transfer?

12 minutes ago, billd766 said:

But did it go to BBK bank via KBank and does it show as FTT or International Transfer?

I dunno Bill I don't update my ATM withdrawals in the blue bank book regular but it showed FTT before last year don't know whether it does now. 

I only sent some money so to use my new debit card as my UK bank changed it from Visa to MasterCard for some reason. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, billd766 said:

A sense of humour is essential on some threads such as this one.

Yeah wish Thai immigration would be more helpful for some people here if the money in the bank is enough shown going in and they suspect you are some kind of arms or drugs smuggler they can go around there place and check them out. 

If y'all don't laugh you end up crying. ????

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I dunno Bill I don't update my ATM withdrawals in the blue bank book regular but it showed FTT before last year don't know whether it does now. 

I only sent some money so to use my new debit card as my UK bank changed it from Visa to MasterCard for some reason. 

One way to check if your transfer will be coded FTT if you have online banking with Bangkok Bank is to go look at the transaction online.  If it says International Transfer you know it will be coded FTT in your passbook.  If it says something else, you know it won't be.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, skatewash said:

One way to check if your transfer will be coded FTT if you have online banking with Bangkok Bank is to go look at the transaction online.  If it says International Transfer you know it will be coded FTT in your passbook.  If it says something else, you know it won't be.

The only on-line bank I have is UK. 

Don't bother or need on-line with Thai banks I just keep it simple for immigration by keeping 400,000 in bank for marriage extension.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JohnOFphon said:

So after 5 emails to Wise asking them to "tag" my transfer to BBL and not getting a reassuring response.

I logged into Wise and added a dollar to dollar swift transfer option.

Haven't tried it yet. Next transfer in Nov.

I see it will cost more, not sure how much, and slower.

A few extra dollars isn't a problem nor is 4 to 5 working days.

I will see if a test transfer on the 1st works, and if not.... what do you think of doing the swift, dollar to dollar?

I tested Wise's SWIFT transfer and it works much cheaper than my USA bank options and for USD to Bangkok Bank only less than .5% less Baht than the usual way.  I guess those sending England Pound it is more like 1.0% worse.  If a trial normal Wise transfer in November doesn't show up as FTT I will use the Wise SWIFT transfer as my backup.

Edited by mojaco
Clarity
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

The only on-line bank I have is UK. 

Don't bother or need on-line with Thai banks I just keep it simple for immigration by keeping 400,000 in bank for marriage extension.

I use online banking for BBK and KBank as the only UK bank I have is Wise.

36 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Yeah wish Thai immigration would be more helpful for some people here if the money in the bank is enough shown going in and they suspect you are some kind of arms or drugs smuggler they can go around there place and check them out. 

If y'all don't laugh you end up crying. ????

Immigration at Kamphaeng Phet are mostly farang and user friendly. I did a 90 day report on Thursday 21 October about 10:30 am and I was in and out in 7 minutes. I was the only customer at that time.

2 hours ago, lexilis said:

I also tried another option. I created a new recipient in Wise giving the Bangkok NY ABA routing number. So a transfer in Wise to that account appears as a domestic (US) transfer. Then BBK NY (not Wise) forwards the money to my account in Thailand. Should come through as FFT here. The trans would be BBK NY to BBK here and would never be routed to any other bank. We'll see. I tried a test amount yesterday so it will probably be Monday or even Tuesday before it appears. 

lexillis,

Interesting....definitely update us on how it goes.  If Bangkok Bank NY accepts the transfer I expect Bangkok Bank will charge their typical NY branch and in-Thailand branch receiving fees as shown below.  And you'll receive the Bangkok Bank TT Buying Exchange Rate.   Also, am I correct that Wise only charges a fee of 51 cents to send the money for a "local transfer" like USD from Wise to the Bangkok Bank NY USA branch.  And where I mentioned "if Bangkok Bank NY accepts the transfer" I really mean if they will accept it because it's in  "International ACH Transaction (IAT)" format (or close enough) vs regular domestic ACH format since Bangkok Bank NY stopped about a year ago relaying to Thailand ACH transfers which are not in IAT format except for those domestic ACH transfers from U.S. govt agencies like Social Security, DFAS Military Retirement, VA, etc. 

Bangkok Bank Fees

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Other-Services/Transfers/Transferring-Into-Thailand/Transfer-money-from-US-to-Thailand-via-Bangkok-Bank-NewYork-branch

image.png.dc5f2802d90e454921a73878af1c421c.png

And for others listening in,

When I first read lexillis' post above I thought to myself "How in the world did he use an "ACH routing number?" because my brain was thinking Wise only used SWIFT codes.   

But a little bit of googling enlightened me....lead me to a Wise article (link below) on how it's done. 

https://wise.com/us/blog/make-us-dollar-to-us-dollar-transfer

But a person does need to have a Wise multicurrency acct as the USD "local transfer" must flow from the multicurrency acct to the local U.S. bank like to the Bangkok Bank New York branch which is a licensed U.S. bank with ACH routing number.   I guess "local" in this case means anywhere within the same country such as the U.S. 

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

I use online banking for BBK and KBank as the only UK bank I have is Wise.

Immigration at Kamphaeng Phet are mostly farang and user friendly. I did a 90 day report on Thursday 21 October about 10:30 am and I was in and out in 7 minutes. I was the only customer at that time.

Yeah Suk is no problem only the change in head of office being changed this year and her wanting something more than the last 2 years also some in-power fighting going on according to the Mrs.

CM head office seems to be the strict one who is in charge of Sukhothai. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pib said:

lexillis,

Interesting....definitely update us on how it goes.  If Bangkok Bank NY accepts the transfer I expect Bangkok Bank will charge their typical NY branch and in-Thailand branch receiving fees as shown below.  And you'll receive the Bangkok Bank TT Buying Exchange Rate.   Also, am I correct that Wise only charges a fee of 51 cents to send the money for a "local transfer" like USD from Wise to the Bangkok Bank NY USA branch.  And where I mentioned "if Bangkok Bank NY accepts the transfer" I really mean if they will accept it because it's in  "International ACH Transaction (IAT)" format (or close enough) vs regular domestic ACH format since Bangkok Bank NY stopped about a year ago relaying to Thailand ACH transfers which are not in IAT format except for those domestic ACH transfers from U.S. govt agencies like Social Security, DFAS Military Retirement, VA, etc. 

Bangkok Bank Fees

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Other-Services/Transfers/Transferring-Into-Thailand/Transfer-money-from-US-to-Thailand-via-Bangkok-Bank-NewYork-branch

image.png.dc5f2802d90e454921a73878af1c421c.png

And for others listening in,

When I first read lexillis' post above I thought to myself "How in the world did he use an "ACH routing number?" because my brain was thinking Wise only used SWIFT codes.   

But a little bit of googling enlightened me....lead me to a Wise article (link below) on how it's done. 

https://wise.com/us/blog/make-us-dollar-to-us-dollar-transfer

But a person does need to have a Wise multicurrency acct as the USD "local transfer" must flow from the multicurrency acct to the local U.S. bank like to the Bangkok Bank New York branch which is a licensed U.S. bank with ACH routing number.   I guess "local" in this case means anywhere within the same country such as the U.S. 

I guess folks in England could use this same system as they have a Bangkok Bank office in their country like we do in the USA.  Or maybe they can use their country's Bangkok Bank for local transfers anyway like in the past?