What is it with loud exhausts ? (and tail tidy's)

piston broke

38 minutes ago, Bassosa said:

In 10/20 years loud motorbikes will be thought of as smoking around children and driving without a seatbelt.

The majority will be wondering "why on earth did we tolerate that?"

I think in 20 years young people will still be smoking pot. 

Seat belts dunno I rarely wear one. 

My motorbike exhaust is loud but passing the noise inspection test. 

For electric bikes you can buy speakers so it sounds like a motorbike. ????

Seems like I need to clarify.

Overly loud motorcycles will sooner or later be banned. This is already happening in Europe. Noise pollution literally makes people sick, yes Thais also. Nothing wrong with motorcycles themselves, perfectly viable mode of transport, but no real need to tinker with the exhaust for the "look at me" factor. It bothers so so many people.

In ten/twenty years time we'll look back at loud motorcycles the same way we look back on things like smoking in airplanes and driving without a seatbelt: why the heck did we do/tolerate that?

Southpark is foreshadowing that already with that Youtube-clip I posted.

Let's be honest, blokes on Harley-Davidson's are kind of embarrassing themselves. No wonder Harley sales are suffering, at least the old archaic Harleys.

A good development imho.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bassosa said:

Let's be honest, blokes on Harley-Davidson's are kind of embarrassing themselves. No wonder Harley sales are suffering, at least the old archaic Harleys.

You have you view and opinions that's a fair call on a forum.

I have always been what they call here a big motorbike enthusiast I don't think you understand people who like motorbikes.  

There many big bikes that make noise not just H.D's because of the large engines.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I have always been what they call here a big motorbike enthusiast I don't think you understand people who like motorbikes.  

There many big bikes that make noise not just H.D's because of the large engines.

And Tom Lawrence would have been waking up the dead on his 1000cc Brough Superior  SS100 V-Twin back in the 30's.....????

• Like 1

With the young Thais, I think it is them trying to make the bikes go faster.

That's why they fit those lethal skinny wheels and tyres (less rolling resistance) and remove almost all the padding from the seat, (less weight).

Several dead through hitting a pothole and the wheel just disintegrated.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, phetphet said:

With the young Thais, I think it is them trying to make the bikes go faster.

That's why they fit those lethal skinny wheels and tyres (less rolling resistance) and remove almost all the padding from the seat, (less weight).

Several dead through hitting a pothole and the wheel just disintegrated.

I don't think so, it's the local bike bling shops giving them a wow. We did the same back in the 60's with our Vespa and Lambretta's, looking at all those lovely chrome exhausts etc, hanging on the wall....

Which brings back a memory...????

I was sixteen, I bought this lovely chrome box from a scooter bling shop, one night I got pulled by a noddy for excessive noise, he said I am reporting you.

A letter came to attend juvenile court in front of a Judge. Mum had to go with me as I was a juvenile, I also had my brand new chrome exhaust with me..

The copper was there too, going on about trying to stop the imports of silencers that were too loud.

My turn came, judge had head in hands, I held up my nice new chrome box and told him, "I bought it in good faith because it was made to fit my scooter and was for sale." 

The judge was looking over his half rim glasses...

"I understand what you are saying, but it seems you were still making a noise with it, hmmmmm, 2 pound fine, no endorsement"..... ????

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, transam said:

looking at all those lovely chrome exhausts etc, hanging on the wall....

I had two shinny ones.  A long megaphone type and one with two short trumpets that exited on the left under the floorboards. Seemed to be all the rage at the time.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

I had two shinny ones.  A long megaphone type and one with two short trumpets that exited on the left under the floorboards. Seemed to be all the rage at the time.

You couple of old oldies. ???? ????

27 minutes ago, Dick Z said:

There is an inverse relationship between the dB's of noise and the size of an essential part of the (male) driver's anatomy.

Simon says

Dick zed 

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

The excess noise is just power being wasted on vanity rather than being used to drive the wheels. Nothing to do with engine size especially - I mean, have you heard any deafening Gold Wings?

F1 cars are now much quieter than 10 years ago because they now waste so little power making noise. They also have broken virtually every lap record at every track they visit because they are so much faster - even though the engine is half the cc it was.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, mrfill said:

The excess noise is just power being wasted on vanity rather than being used to drive the wheels. Nothing to do with engine size especially - I mean, have you heard any deafening Gold Wings?

F1 cars are now much quieter than 10 years ago because they now waste so little power making noise. They also have broken virtually every lap record at every track they visit because they are so much faster - even though the engine is half the cc it was.

Depends on engine, induction, and exhaust exit design..

4 stroke, 2 stroke, many variables...????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrfill said:

That's funny are you a tree hugger. ????

• Haha 1

Talking about modern big bikes, they are no longer built with performance but rather noise and emission regulations in mind. Most of the new original exhausts are heavy and restrict performance, so they must go first thing. As to tail tidy's, well most of the original licence plate holders just look absolutely horrible. 

I've upgraded my exhaust on my bike for the following reasons:
-More power, smoother power delivery, engine runs cooler (tuned properly, of course)
-Lost 4kg from a high point of the bike
-Sounds nicer (not trying to go for as loud as possible, but decent sound)
-Safety (it helps a lot in Bangkok, when 90% of the time you're filtering between slow moving cars)

Edited by SS1
  • Like 2

Vibrations created by the noise cause their private parts to produce  pleasure inducing chemicals into their bodily system. Similar to just placing a vibrator on  sensitive parts. 

Edited by IAMHERE
sensitivity of potential audience

On 10/9/2021 at 11:50 AM, transam said:

Perhaps they just like the noise, I was young once, and did enjoy the noise, just being different to the old farts....????

I had a Lambretta  175  in 1965/6 twin stack exhaust, numerous chrome lights not wired and so much chrome on a sunny day it was a distraction, but yes I complain these idiots of today.