What is it with loud exhausts ? (and tail tidy's)

piston broke

19 minutes ago, transam said:

I thought Dick was the USA abbreviated version of Richard....

Yes, and in UK too, but other countries also have the name and in my case it is derived from Dirk, a hundreds year old name that also has been in the family for some generations. Polite people (with sufficient IQ) tend to call me Richard sometimes....

• Like 1

Well, tail tidy's enhance the aesthetics of the bike and reduce weight. I'd go as far as to say that massive piece of black plastic hanging out further than the back wheel ruins the look of many bikes. Also, I doubt that having a massive, heavy sail at the back of the bike does much for the aerodynamics (I've never seen a MotoGP bike running one).

Aftermarket exhausts also save weight, look better, make a nicer sound (if it's a decent exhaust - the Termignoni twin pipes on my Panigale sounds incredible under full load) and can also increase power although an ECU remap may be required to get the full benefit of this. I also take immense pleasure removing anything that the Fun Nazis at the EU attempts to mandate ????.

All of this applies to proper motorbikes by the way. I wouldn't do it to a moped. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, transam said:

I thought Dick was the USA abbreviated version of Richard....

I was bought by a cockney father so saying that lemon squeezer is a Richard the Third. ????

It would be shorten to that lemon is a Richard. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, piston broke said:

i'm assuming you're in the "loud pipes save lives" gang ??

Not really, none of my bikes have loud pipes...the loudest is probably the CRF, it's got a genuine Yoshimura system on it, along with an EJK and modded air-box (stage #1 mods) so that it actually runs properly now...it's road legal at 95dB. The early CRF's (up to about 2017) ran really lean.

I don't have a problem with loud pipes, mainly because I was young once and remember what it was all about...the sound of a RD350 on cans is a truly beautiful sound, not to all, granted, but to me, yes! At least a loud bike has passed and gone in a few seconds...unlike dogs who bark for hours on end ????

Changing exhaust systems used to be easy, on modern bikes not so...most now have catalytic converters and sealed ECU's so unless you know what you're doing you will do more harm than good.

If you don't get the idea of modifying your ride then you're not really biker at heart...hence my comment about Facebook 'bike groups' ...as someone's signature on here says...

a82bec04123609e2b934a3bc13405892 (Phone).jpg

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, piston broke said:

i'm assuming you're in the "loud pipes save lives" gang ??

I'm more of a "guys with loud pipes are selfish self centred plonkers" kind of guy myself .....

Really, with you a "Piston Broke" too.....Hmmmm..????

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Only just. ????

I know it's on the limit...but the bike spends 80% of it's time off-road and I hardly ever ride it thru town. It's a 2013 so has been tested quite a few times and I've never been pulled up about it ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neilly said:

I know it's on the limit...but the bike spends 80% of it's time off-road and I hardly ever ride it thru town. It's a 2013 so has been tested quite a few times and I've never been pulled up about it ????

Nothing wrong with what your doing at all in my book even the kids having some fun is OK as far as I'm concerned. 

Just only saying it's on db level and big bikes can be 99 db. 

Just got an end-can with a TIS mark. 

IMG_20211013_142859.thumb.jpg.f3cd971e6b8f67931e6d852351d6338c.jpg

????????????????????

21 minutes ago, Neilly said:

At least they spelt Yoshimura right ????

Well they are American. ????

In the pix it's not that clear but they put the new internationally approved stamp mark just after 'U' I guess the Thai police don't know about that. 

3 minutes ago, vinci said:

when you are young you like everything to be loud the more the better, when you hit middle age you like moderate sound, and when you get old you like to have peace and quiet, the cycle of life

Nah !!! I don't ever want to to be an old aged moaning crusty.

On 10/13/2021 at 4:27 PM, Neilly said:

At least they spelt Yoshimura right ????

Put a db app on my phone and with the silencer piece fitted it reads 86 decibels.

Although the end can is a cheap copy that's well within limits so not bad. 

• Like 1

Similar to the USA where it is "fashionable" in the black community to have boom boxes in their cars the size of small cargo containers.  Then they feel compelled to share their "rap" with the entire world by turning the sound up to the point where the vibration could break the cement roadway.  

• Haha 1

Loud noise , go faster bikes/cars ,  silly  rumbling exhausts on Nissan Note's ,  lowered suspensions, wheels protruding outside the vehicle body , black smoke   -- you name it the list is endless  !!!  lack of law enforcement , no insurance checks or premium hikes .  Nothing will change just as the road death rate !!     

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Jen65 said:

Loud noise , go faster bikes/cars ,  silly  rumbling exhausts on Nissan Note's ,  lowered suspensions, wheels protruding outside the vehicle body , black smoke   -- you name it the list is endless  !!!  lack of law enforcement , no insurance checks or premium hikes .  Nothing will change just as the road death rate !!     

Yeah good ain't it apart the death of course,  I for one prefer the freedom here compared to somewhere like UK. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/9/2021 at 2:50 PM, khastan said:

Fantastic bike and a true riders dream but eye watering expensive now to buy a genuine one and not a fake. I had a Rocket Gold Star in full racing trim made road legal that had been raced at the IOM. It had much larger amal monoblock carbs than a standard and a very high compression ratio and was extremly fast for a road bike in those days. it used to drink fuel but fortunately I had a mate who worked at a garage selling it!  On the front of the fairing 2 naked girls were painted in all their explicit glory. I wonder if you would get away with that now. Sold it for 300 quid to get married and current price for a standard one is over 20000 quid. Sorry no pics same wife destroyed them all!

I thought the Rocket Goldie was the dog's testicals.  My Bro. wasn't satisfied with the 5 gal. alloy tank it had other bits .  The compression was raised to 11-1 , only ran on 5 star petrol. A slipper piston , lightened and polished flywheel , ......................pity he missed a gear , said it went to 11,000 rpm just before the conrod appeared through the bottom of the crankcase .  Can't remember how it all ended up but then the middle '60s was an odd time. Oh my Norton was loaded up for the IoM TT races in '67.  Agostini's chain broke , what a sound from that machine , my chain didn't IoM no prob. Sorry , just remembering being 20 years old.

• Like 1