School Testing Covid-19

Chad3000

Hi

I'm curious if any of you have considered what may occur if a teacher (you) test positive by an outside testing group while at school. My understanding remains that all foreigners are to be sent to private hospitals €£$ which you will be out of pocket for. Poor insurance, double pricing the bill could be substantial. How many of you have 250-600k put away to blow on a hospital stay? I'm seriously thinking of stopping teaching altogether. Have any of your schools laid this out in black and white? I don't think there will be any slipping out the side door as the school will no longer let you teach and the testing group will want to report you. Even if you get home will you be allowed to stay? More than a bit concerned. Thanks.

• Like 2

You worry too much. If the school actually cares about its (foreign) teachers, it will make sure you don't end up with those kind of bills and/or lose your job.

I'm enrolled in the govt social security program and expect to be taken to a public field hospital or hospitel if testing positive. So far I haven't even been tested. I have received the double jab already though.

• Confused 2

It doesn't really matter if you are a teacher or not, in any case you get tested positive you are locked up in a hospital. I have a friend who is in it now for more than a week already even he had just few symptoms for 2 days.

But yeah if they are gonna test you constantly that is quite risky VS the pay hehe, I would insist the school I teach at covers me on that or get an insurance to cover it. There is some choice in pricing but it is certainly true that this can easily set one back 100-150K baht (and that is in case of mild symptoms).

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ChaiyaTH said:

It doesn't really matter if you are a teacher or not, in any case you get tested positive you are locked up in a hospital. I have a friend who is in it now for more than a week already even he had just few symptoms for 2 days.

But yeah if they are gonna test you constantly that is quite risky VS the pay hehe, I would insist the school I teach at covers me on that or get an insurance to cover it. There is some choice in pricing but it is certainly true that this can easily set one back 100-150K baht (and that is in case of mild symptoms).

This is exactly my concern. Even with insurance a bill for 1-300k. The school will be only to happy to ship off their best and worst. What choice do they have?

Farang don't go to field hospitals never heard that as an option ever. Anyone post a news story or first hand report? Even then it's anecdotal not protocol. I distinctly recall reading we'd be shipped off to a private hospital.

Maybe, just maybe in the provinces if the teacher speaks Thai but I'm doubting it bigly. I have government insurance as well as additional coverage. Next year who knows what will be covered outside my government insurance.

Many field hospitals around Bangkok are now closed as well.

I think it's a serious issue all teachers need think about. Carted off to private hospital. I'd guess even asymptomatic cases the hospital would crank the bill to at least 550k for private room and 'care'.

BTW this isn't just a teacher thing. Any farang caught up in a proper covid snare is off to hospital jail. Retirees just not forced to test. Even if the school is poor as soon as someone turns up positive teachers will be tested.

I can easily see only the private room in (semi) central Bangkok hospital running 15-25k per day at farang rates plus whatever else they slip on the bill double charged. Seriously doubt you'll be able to shop that around they'll just drop you at most profitable for the testing company.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Chad3000 said:

Hi

I'm curious if any of you have considered what may occur if a teacher (you) test positive by an outside testing group while at school. My understanding remains that all foreigners are to be sent to private hospitals €£$ which you will be out of pocket for. Poor insurance, double pricing the bill could be substantial. How many of you have 250-600k put away to blow on a hospital stay? I'm seriously thinking of stopping teaching altogether. Have any of your schools laid this out in black and white? I don't think there will be any slipping out the side door as the school will no longer let you teach and the testing group will want to report you. Even if you get home will you be allowed to stay? More than a bit concerned. Thanks.

What makes you think they will have extensive testing at schools? In Thailand the numbers tested are really low, I think that will continue. I think schools will expect teachers to be vaccinated but there will only be testing if there is a major confirmed outbreak at the school.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, chessman said:

What makes you think they will have extensive testing at schools? In Thailand the numbers tested are really low, I think that will continue. I think schools will expect teachers to be vaccinated but there will only be testing if there is a major confirmed outbreak at the school.

What's extensive? Weekly? Biweekly? Monthly? I'd expect any time a student or teacher excludes themselves from school over covid that could very well warrant random test.

I've no idea honestly, just being paranoid because the penalty is so great. I think it will depend on a number of factors.

It's very possible that poor schools only test students as necessary but you can bet they'll still send the teachers off for test if there's even remote possibility you've become infected. The last thing a school wants is super spreader teacher lol

1 importance, wealth of school private or public. Power of PTA.

2 volume of students returning.

3 if teachers and or students tested positive.

4 regional or national mandates.

5 as prathom students can't be given the vax maybe these schools would test more.

** ability of admin to make money off testing.

Just to borrow more trouble I bet we all have to have b3500 PCR tests before we either get WP or contract or both.

Edited by Chad3000

I should have spoken to my wife before posting. This is perhaps even more problematic.

My wife works at a large office in Bangkok that has routinely done covid tests when special workgroups had to assemble in person. This is the procedure for Thais:

Everyone takes an atk test. A few have in fact tested positive. Her employer required them to go to hospital for PCR test. She said half are positive and half negative. Employees return to work only with negative PCR test. Company pays 100% all tests.

After testing positive at the hospital Thais have two options. If I'll they must check in two weeks. If pos but asymmetrical they can possibly register online with the Thai government.

From what she tells me if the Thai has insurance they can go to hospital, the bill is covered it's non issue for Thais (!). Her coworkers just do that. As for stay at home she says it's not an option really for many reasons I don't want to type out.

Therefore, if you tested positive you'd be expected to go with ambulance or on your own to get a PCR test. If you test positive it's hospital jail for you. Hope this helps.

Are their still some basic covid insurance policies for less than 2k that will get you 200ks worth of cover or more? They may no longer be available?

Could make it a condition of returning to on premises teacher instead of online that you are covered for covid treatment by the school or the agency you work for.

7 minutes ago, sapson said:

Are their still some basic covid insurance policies for less than 2k that will get you 200ks worth of cover or more? They may no longer be available?

Could make it a condition of returning to on premises teacher instead of online that you are covered for covid treatment by the school or the agency you work for.

My wife tells me that these policies no longer exist and especially for foreigners. Insurance has had to actually pay out and not happy. Only thing that is available is death by covid coverage.

On the second note I'd rather not get into what schools could or should do for us. Let's just expect we are covered now as we are and in the future maybe even a covid exclusion given inscos have stopped issuing covid insurance in general. She's no insurance agent but pre6up on this stuff due to her work, parents with covid and I'd bought her family policies for two years running.

Y'all think way too much into this, guys. Just go with the flow and let your school take care of it if worst comes to worst.
I do not for a minute worry about financial ramifications of getting tested positive. I worry more about when my school's gonna reopen. LOL

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chad3000 said:

What's extensive? Weekly? Biweekly? Monthly? I'd expect any time a student or teacher excludes themselves from school over covid that could very well warrant random test.

I've no idea honestly, just being paranoid because the penalty is so great. I think it will depend on a number of factors.

It's very possible that poor schools only test students as necessary but you can bet they'll still send the teachers off for test if there's even remote possibility you've become infected. The last thing a school wants is super spreader teacher lol

1 importance, wealth of school private or public. Power of PTA.

2 volume of students returning.

3 if teachers and or students tested positive.

4 regional or national mandates.

5 as prathom students can't be given the vax maybe these schools would test more.

** ability of admin to make money off testing.

Just to borrow more trouble I bet we all have to have b3500 PCR tests before we either get WP or contract or both.

I wouldn’t say this has no chance of happening at all but I do think you are piling worst case scenario on worst case scenario.

I think schools will do very little testing… and it will become normal for people with mild symptoms to isolate at home… and private hospitals will not be forced upon teachers who clearly won’t be able to afford really high hospital bills.

but maybe I am an optimist!

6 hours ago, Chad3000 said:

Therefore, if you tested positive you'd be expected to go with ambulance or on your own to get a PCR test. If you test positive it's hospital jail for you. Hope this helps.

That is what happened with my friend wife, kid too and he is even double vaccinated and just came from Phuket a month earlier lol. Regarding to my wife also said that she couldn't get me in the insurance that she did manage to get for herself and my son.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chessman said:

I wouldn’t say this has no chance of happening at all but I do think you are piling worst case scenario on worst case scenario.

Agree to that but I think it is wise the OP at least thinks about it, just like with even minor car accidents, costs can easily run up to 100-150K and many people arrive here teaching or backpacking with no access to such resources (directly). 

I'd say that it is really needed to be able to get up to 150K cash in your hands guaranteed, in case of emergencies, minimum, while in Thailand. Having that amount directly available can prevent bigger issues too in case of being extorted or other crazy events, that do happen from time to time.

Some are lucky for 2 decades, other get bad luck within their first week, for me it was after 9 years. 

Edited by ChaiyaTH

I suspect most teachers who are asymptomatic or have mild illness will stay in a hospitel - at their own expense. I've had a student do that this year as she was exposed to her fater who was positive. She still managed to do her online classes from there:) But I would budget for about 100K for such a place. Alternatively, they will probably allow home isolation in some cases. 

If it gets too strict I will retire temporrily and get a marriage extension and live off my wife's salary for a year or 2. But I know that's not an alternative for all. 

Why not wait for official announcements? Nothing has been announced yet. 

I hate to say this....but what about teachers that have not had the jab? I am getting my 2nd in a couple of weeks. I can see there is no choice. I foresee problems for any foreign teacher that tests positive and cannot show proof of double dose. I think you may be left on your own....sad but lets be realistic about all this. I have basic health insurance through my company...its better than nothing.... Man, its going to be very interesting to see what happens in these coming months....

I just heard a bit of a rumor that makes sense. No Prathom level students at school in term 2, only Matthayom which...BINGO have been vaccinated! My timetable is a bit of a split between the two. I could have an interesting timetable coming up. Anyway, again....if you get Covid and are unvaxxed...damn. We live in interesting times...

4 minutes ago, 248900_1469958220 said:

I just heard a bit of a rumor that makes sense. No Prathom level students at school in term 2, only Matthayom which...BINGO have been vaccinated!

Even those maniacs wouldn't dare to do it... Or they would ? ????

I think the rumor is right, but the timing is wrong.

They do want to extend the vaccination to... children as young as 5 years old... But the local FDA is still working on the issue (they can't just mimic the US decision... they need to save face, and spend time... like they are really working...)

I think they will push for it next year... In a few months.

Edited by cclub75

Update from my side, my friend with wife and kid just got released after lock up with little to no symptoms and presented the bill: 380K baht. Another farang who did it alone paid 150K baht. Both were vaccinated.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Update from my side, my friend with wife and kid just got released after lock up with little to no symptoms and presented the bill: 380K baht. Another farang who did it alone paid 150K baht. Both were vaccinated.

Locked up where exactly?

4 minutes ago, DavisH said:

...field hospitals....

If you prefer to also risk and actually die, that is the only cheap alternative, even you would still lose 30-50K in that case. They didn't have much choice, they were sent to international hospital that was most near by.

Again bear in my mind, they had zero to mild symptoms, if it actually went bad, the bill must have been near a million. Could bankrupt people, specially teachers that not earn that much. I am no longer going to advice people coming to Thailand as long this continues. 

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, DavisH said:

...field hospitals and hospitels. 

There has never been an option for field hospitals for foreigners. If someone can produce a link that would be great but that's not going to happen. We will all be force marched to a private hospital.

380k in probs sounds about right. Add a minimum of 50% for central Bangkok hospitals imo.

Of course schools will push for everyone to return.

Prathom cannot so waiting on a solution. Mathayom if the school has it's act together will return. I'd expect they want all teachers vaxed up but will go till year's end if a teacher can only get one. I expect it to be a demand of employment next year. I'm kinda ok with AZ JJ non mRNA vaccines. The rest I'll quit first.

Two of the posters says just wait. I suspect many of us will return and nothing will be said about it TBH. At best...let me get back to you on that...never.

Edited by Chad3000

3 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

If you prefer to also risk and actually die, that is the only cheap alternative, even you would still lose 30-50K in that case. They didn't have much choice, they were sent to international hospital that was most near by.

Again bear in my mind, they had zero to mild symptoms, if it actually went bad, the bill must have been near a million. Could bankrupt people, specially teachers that not earn that much. I am no longer going to advice people coming to Thailand as long this continues. 

This is all true but my OP was about us showing up to school asymptomatic. That's not going to turn into a 1m bill but it could be 6-700k!

To your last point I totally agree. We are all whistling past the graveyard. This year I have decent insurance. Next year  will be ok. Still on a 650k bill I'm out half years savings after insurance. Many other teachers are toast.

Remember, you don't get to leave hospital until the bill is paid. It's debtor's prison. If you have little or no insurance you should probably leave. It's only a matter of time before we all get this blasted malady.

9 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

Most foreigners who show a positive PCR test but with mild or no symptoms would be sent to a hospitel, if there is one.

60,000 baht here on Samui.

This sounds like the perfectly sensible solution. I'd forgotten about them. Thank you.

Insurance won't pay this imo. You must be in hospital standard or field hospital for ins to pay out. My in-laws just went thru this.

Edited by Chad3000

21 hours ago, Chad3000 said:

My wife tells me that these policies no longer exist and especially for foreigners. Insurance has had to actually pay out and not happy. Only thing that is available is death by covid coverage.

On the second note I'd rather not get into what schools could or should do for us. Let's just expect we are covered now as we are and in the future maybe even a covid exclusion given inscos have stopped issuing covid insurance in general. She's no insurance agent but pre6up on this stuff due to her work, parents with covid and I'd bought her family policies for two years running.

Rubbish.

https://www.dhipaya.co.th/en/product-detail-10-37-12.html

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, rbkk said:

All those plans pay out only if you are comatose. Maybe posting this link you ought to have checked the plans and made a purchase ????

https://www.tipinsure.com/Ph/step_2

I actually have this insurance proper. Bought for 800b. Bought for my in-laws. It's a decent company. They came down with covid and went to field hospital. They paid out both 35k each. They were never comatose lol.

1 minute ago, Chad3000 said:

All those plans pay out only if you are comatose. Maybe posting this link you ought to have checked the plans and made a purchase ????

Or even if they are not, they often only cover a small amount for actual medical cost, which would be 50x higher if anything serious. And then hoping they payout when many people get this.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

Even going to hospitEL could cost 60-90k... That would be for larger cities only. If upcountry you might be able to get to Chaing Mai or KK. Still that's a lot of cash for many of us.

I recall reading within the last day or so about the Foreigner that was shoved into a hospitEL. As I recall he did not stay the two weeks for whatever reason maybe he tested negative I would think. There was some huge blowout over the bill and it ended up being 60,000 as a former poster had stated. Samui.

Maybe the first thing to do when you arrive at the hospital is to tell them that you have no money lol.

Next year I'll have to show my government insurance card and try and get deflected to a government hospital if I was infected.

Edited by Chad3000