A way to limit the cost Covid Travel Insurance for someone staying longer than 30 days?

This Covid insurance will be the last hoop to be junked on the rubbish heap, if at all. An average 3 week tourist would barely notice it. Anybody on 12 months extensions better start timing their entry/exits to minimise it if funds are tight. Particularly if there is no option between 6 and 12 months worth of it as I found through whichever ripoff I went through.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Bluetongue said:

This Covid insurance will be the last hoop to be junked on the rubbish heap, if at all. An average 3 week tourist would barely notice it. Anybody on 12 months extensions better start timing their entry/exits to minimise it if funds are tight. Particularly if there is no option between 6 and 12 months worth of it as I found through whichever ripoff I went through.

Luma has a 270 day option. Or did less than 1 month ago.

On 10/10/2021 at 12:18 AM, cape said:

But when you extend, would immigration check the insurance before making the extension? 

Yes, that is correct.  I know someone who got refused an extension because they didn't have Covid insurance covering the length of the extension, so they had to to purchase that and then go back the next day.

Edited by shdmn
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

On 10/15/2021 at 10:12 AM, Martin Brit said:

I have been in touch with a Thai travel/visa agent re coming for 90 days. They suggest Tourist Visa 60 days and extend for a further 30 at immigration. They also stated I would only need 60 days covid insurance if I did it that way making it cheaper.

Then they don't know what they are talking about.  When you go to immigration to apply for the extension they will check for Covid insurance covering the extension time.  No insurance, no extension, so then you will have to purchase addition insurance and then go back.

Edited by shdmn
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, shdmn said:

Yes, that is correct.  I know someone who got refused an extension because they didn't have Covid insurance covering the length of the extension, so they had to do that and then go back the next day.

What category of extension was it.

At this time only the extension of a STV visa entry requires proof of covid 19 insurance.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

What category of extension was it.

At this time only the extension of a STV visa entry requires proof of covid 19 insurance.

As far as I know they just had the regular 60 day tourist visa but I am not 100% sure.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, shdmn said:

As far as I know they just had the regular 60 day tourist visa but I am not 100% sure.

They would require covid insurance to cover their initial 60 day stamp upon entry. 

Why state with such confidence that's it's required for 30 day extension.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

They would require covid insurance to cover their initial 60 day stamp upon entry. 

Why state with such confidence that's it's required for 30 day extension.

Because that's what they told me firsthand.  Like I said, they went to immigration on Soi 6 in Jomtien after their 60 days were almost up, wasted an hour and got told they had to get more Covid insurance.  So they had to purchase more and then go to a print shop to get it printed out and then go back to immigration the next day. If you don't believe me then too bad so sad.  That's what the guy told me.  End of story.

Edited by shdmn
  • Haha 1