A way to limit the cost Covid Travel Insurance for someone staying longer than 30 days?

Someone suggested that one could reduce the cost of insurance by booking a return flight for 30 days and then changing the return flight to a later date? Is this doable? Or will immigration check your documents on departure to make sure you have complied with the rules? And if they do catch you, what would be the penalty? I personally wouldn't try it, but someone in the Covid forum has suggested this ploy.  

Edited by placeholder

The insurance must cover the number of days you are stamped in for. Not for how long you will be in the country. 

So for example, if enter on tourist visa you would need insurance cover for minimum 60 days.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

The insurance must cover the number of days you are stamped in for. Not for how long you will be in the country. 

So for example, if enter on tourist visa you would need insurance cover for minimum 60 days.

So Thai immigration won't check your documents on the way out to see if you were covered for Covid the entire time you were in the country? 

29 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

That is not true.

Yesterday I was stamped in until 10th Aug 22 and my insurance is valid until 16th Dec 21

Immigration do not ask to see your insurance, there is half a dozen people already done that.

• Confused 2

10 minutes ago, sandyf said:

That is not true.

Yesterday I was stamped in until 10th Aug 22 and my insurance is valid until 16th Dec 21

Immigration do not ask to see your insurance, there is half a dozen people already done that.

You are, I suppose, returning wit a re-entry permit based on an earlier extension of stay till August next year. I have been told that when applying for the CoE, the Embassy requires insurance covering the remaining period of stay of the visa, irrespective of your actual intended stay, But you didn’t encounter any problems in this regard?

• Like 2

18 hours ago, damascase said:

You are, I suppose, returning wit a re-entry permit based on an earlier extension of stay till August next year. I have been told that when applying for the CoE, the Embassy requires insurance covering the remaining period of stay of the visa, irrespective of your actual intended stay, But you didn’t encounter any problems in this regard?

You have to weigh up what you have been told over reality. There are some that read something and then make out that their interpretation is the right one and then try and make out it is fact.

The only problem that I had with my COE application was over vaccination status, the Embassy was then overruled by the Disease Control Officer at the airport.

There are no predictable outcomes, you can only take on board all available information and make the most comfortable decision.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, sandyf said:

You have to weigh up what you have been told over reality. There are some that read something and then make out that their interpretation is the right one and then try and make out it is fact.

The only problem that I had with my COE application was over vaccination status, the Embassy was then overruled by the Disease Control Officer at the airport.

There are no predictable outcomes, you can only take on board all available information and make the most comfortable decision.

COE references quarantine time based on information provided and regulation on the day it is issued. Disease Control issues your quarantine certificate requirement based on the vaccine certificate and regulation on the day of arrival. That's been the protocol  for about 9 months. 

• Like 1

my agent offered me covid cover from 3100 to 6100 per month.

Later, when asked for a yearly premium (my extension starts in November and I am planning travel in November) they have suggested https://www.tuneprotect.co.th/en/product/coronavirus-covid-19-insurance/ONCOVIDL

it's only 15k so 1250b/month, but limitations 75 yo and no underlying conditions. Also has 14 days waiting period.

I don't think it's worth playing with consulate a game over COE. Each consulate might interpret rules differently. 

In my case delay in returning to thailand would mean paying e100 per night for hotel and also losing income.

4 hours ago, Dan O said:

COE references quarantine time based on information provided and regulation on the day it is issued. Disease Control issues your quarantine certificate requirement based on the vaccine certificate and regulation on the day of arrival. That's been the protocol  for about 9 months. 

Protocol doesn't come into it, nothing changed between between my COE rejection and arrival. Quite simply, presented with the same information Disease Control took a different view to the Embassy.

Neither Thailand or the UK issue vaccine certificates for a single dose, but one and one being two has been the protocol for as long as I remember.

• Haha 1

On 10/9/2021 at 9:52 AM, DrJack54 said:

Hi, I plan on coming with a 60 day tourist visa and then extending 30 days at immigration. Should I apply for a COVID insurance 90 days ? I have also normal travel insurance that covers everything else on a yearly plan. Thanks.

2 minutes ago, geisha said:

Hi, I plan on coming with a 60 day tourist visa and then extending 30 days at immigration. Should I apply for a COVID insurance 90 days ? I have also normal travel insurance that covers everything else on a yearly plan. Thanks.

You covid insurance needs to coved your 60 days that you will be given on arrival with your tourist visa.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

I bought the Covid insurance for 14 days, had to buy a cheap ticket to Singapore after 14days for getting my COE accepted. 

I think that worked due to you going into the Phuket sandbox.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Covida 19 insurance is not required for extensions unless you are on a STV (special tourist visa).

Does it mean that if I go to Europe for Christmas (retirement extension) I do not have to worry about getting a Covid insurance before coming back to Thailand?

Edited by lazygourmet

8 minutes ago, lazygourmet said:

Does it mean that if I go to Europe for Christmas (retirement extension) I do not have to worry about getting a Covid insurance before coming back to Thailand?

You will require a COE and all that entails including insurance.

20 minutes ago, lazygourmet said:

No

That was a reply about it being needed for to apply for extension of stay at

6 minutes ago, lazygourmet said:

Even if I've been fully vaccinated, here, in Thailand?

Yes unless they change things before your trip..

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

Would a ONE way tix work with a 30 day stamp at swampy and extend that by another 30?

And having paid for 30 days insurance--would I be able to get the COE and clear the hurdles?

Immigration does not normally check for a ticket out within 30 days. But the airline you are flying on can ask for it and many depmand it.

Thirty days of covid 19 insurance would be enough for a 30 day visa exempt entry.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, freedomnow said:

Better to have long cover in this case - than save on pennies and lose on pounds if you are here without cover after a point....

I think some of these folks already have health insurance. The problem is that the authorities specifically stipulate that the policy explicitly guarantee that up to 3.5 million baht in coverage is provided  for covid treatment.

Edited by placeholder
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, roobaa01 said:

Gday my idea as long as the Coe remains in place you better take up a covid insurance. Once the Coe is abolished i would not bother much about a covid insurance.

Wbr

Roobaa01

inclined to agree, not sure what the benefits of a COE are, and it will be an administrative nightmare for the consuls when tourism really takes off.

on the other hand, thailand has been trying for years to flog mandatory insurance to visitors, this may be their opportunity to implement it full time. some quick research indicates around 40% of brits travel without adequate insurance; is thailand prepared to risk losing this market share?