Whats your neighbours and privacy like?

georgegeorgia

When i retire to Asia whether that be thailand phillipines or cambodia i will be looking at somewhere where there is privacy number 1 and then i guess peacefulness and then number 3 security aspects

At the moment i live in a big city here in Australia and im laying  here on my bed and i can see the whole apartment building opposite even their TV Shows they are watching and they can see me .

I dont like that,along with the guy next door bouncing his ball against the wall

Noise from traffic outside doesnt worry me but i dont like neighbours especially in a condo building playing loud music or banging their apartment doors slamming them

I looked at a couple of condo and houses  in pattaya last visit and i didnt  like the privacy aspect ,i like a house with a backyard but not if your neighbours can see you from their back windows 

Tell me about your home ,is it private ,secure and peaceful?

where in Asia are you ?

and if you live on a farm do you feel safe at night knowing no one is around ? That maybe strange to say but i had a friend who lives in a rural setting say to me once he had to get dogs as he had people knocking on his doors at night saying they re car broke down and they need a phone ,obviously doesnt go on much nowadays with a mobile phones around but still i wouldnt feel safe being say in a rural area of the phillipines or thailand with no one nearby

i probaly feel more safe in a large  condo building i guess

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

it's ok......   but all the bom bom I can see daily makes my eyes sore.  And when they see me banging everything that moves when I get up in the morning its a bit annoying.  the gang across the condo romps around naked all the time and I do the same.  I gotta get some privacy .....  how can I get privacy  ?

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Sleep well on the 'edge' of the village, as someone posted in another thread no real valuables to steal ???? it's only 7:30pm and all I can hear faintly is my son's phone on Tv mode as I sit outside, no traffic, family homes in the vicinity maybe 40 meters away closing up for the evening, as I let my supper settle, browse the forum, ponder the days events and consider tomorrow. Never felt unsafe here in Thai countryside.

but probaly dogs barking ? 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, steven100 said:

it's ok......   but all the bom bom I can see daily makes my eyes sore.  And when they see me banging everything that moves when I get up in the morning its a bit annoying.  the gang across the condo romps around naked all the time and I do the same.  I gotta get some privacy .....  how can I get privacy  ?

same with me????here in Sydney i live opposite a big condo building i can see a guy ironing his bed ????

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I'm in a gated community 10Km outside Chiang Mai city center.

250 x 3 bed houses on small plots around a village green where the old folk sit around drinking beer of an evening. Early evening at dusk all the kids are out playing in the road, mine included. After dark it's deserted, no noise at all.

Don't bother to lock the doors or close the windows when we go out, zero crime.

IMG_20201113_081105.jpg

i never considered a gated community ,yes it probaly would be safe but what about privacy when you walk in your backyard not to mention how close the neighbours house seems to be,but i guess you have fences separating.

Do any single people live in gated communities ,i guess theres nothing stopping them although i imagine its families

Edited by georgegeorgia

2 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

same with me????here in Sydney i live opposite a big condo building i can see a guy ironing his bed ????

so how can I get privacy ? my high curtains are stuck and they don't track/move .... so when i'm bangin on the sofa it's all can see, and the opposite condo do it also. young dudes romping,  so good,  what can I do ?

4 minutes ago, steven100 said:

so how can I get privacy ? my high curtains are stuck and they don't track/move .... so when i'm bangin on the sofa it's all can see, and the opposite condo do it also. young dudes romping,  so good,  what can I do ?

Video it with your phone,i do it all the time when i see it opposite building from me

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, simon43 said:

I live in an old wooden house on the outskirts of Luang Prabang (north Laos).  From the road, it looks like a dilapidated shack!, but it's much better inside ????  The house has standard bars on the windows, so no problems with theft from the house.  But 6 months ago, some 'plonker' entered my garden after dark to steal anything that they could sell.  The only thing of value (for them) was the hundreds of metres of copper wire stretched out across my garden as the antenna and grounding system for my amateur radio station.  The thief made the almost-fatal mistake of trying to remove this wire while I was actually transmitting!  They made a very hasty exit, no doubt with burnt fingers.... ????

My landlord wasn't happy with this (I was furious, since the thief had stripped out maybe 200 metres of wire before he got electrocuted..).  The next day, my landlord paid to install a high fence and gate all around the property.  I also installed night lights and CCTV in the garden, and placed a sign next to my amateur antenna in Lao language that says 'You steal this - you die!!'.

No problems since the security was improved.  I have generally found that if you look poor and mentally-disturbed, most potential thieves leave you alone....

i wouldnt feel safe living in a old house miles from no where and especially by yourself,are the neighbours ok ?

41 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

but probaly dogs barking ? 

Not at all, as, I described, you will have a problem sure if you go with pre conceived thoughts. Occasionally yes but not tonight in fact can't remember the last barking interruption but does happen. I think given time in a village such as this chickens are grabbed by stray dogs which tends to see the problem addressed.

49 minutes ago, Damrongsak said:

Our compound in Loei is close in, but fairly private as it borders a swamp.  The soi was just a dirt road until recently.  View from the porch is nice.  HOWEVER, there is a big Wat a few hundred meters away.  They occasionally have one of those all night parties and it's very noisy.

image.jpeg.c916e6fd4a0a8670d1775915ab225776.jpeg   image.jpeg.20428470c672624d46a889882169c341.jpegimage.png.f37ba2ea97a0ff8c38d91bdf9805f90b.png

Praise be to the lord,  no neighbours for me

Edited by Rampant Rabbit

Just now, bbabythai said:

gated community houses are a shocker. dont rent or buy. we lived in one for a few yrs. nightmare dog situation with rat dogs barking left, right and centre. selfish middle class thais

And yet, in mine the only noise is the birds tweeting and the insects.

We also get the occasional bellow from a buffalo or two in the fields over the wall

• Thanks 2

neighbours are a nightmare here. theres an old lady near our back yard area that burns charcoal everyday to cook. She doesnt have gas cooker. it comes in our windows everyday. 

another neighbour sometimes burns plastic. all neighbours have to smell this and would you believe its at 4am in the morning. 

lucky for us we are renting...