Why Do You Stay?

24 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

Because they're economic refugees who were miserable in their home countries and are miserable here.  They find it convenient to blame Thailand, and the Thai people, for their own bad decisions in life.  Although constantly talking up every other country as a better place to live, the vast majority have no wish to actually move elsewhere, as then they would be forced to confront what they already know deep down, that they, rather than the place they live, are the problem, and they would be just as miserable wherever they happen to be.  And so they remain here, hitting out at every success story about Thailand, and passing bitter scorn on everyone who is happy and successful here, whether they be Thai or Westerner.

youre  upbeat post changed  my mind from  pulling the trigger of my  gun whilst teetering on the 37th floor  balcony with a pianowire  around my neck other end tied to the railings and hand grenade  pin  pulled  clenched in my  buttocks.......well I didnt want a half  hearted  attempt

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

You forgot lack of slim young available women, who can't divorce rape you.

Which is the main negative in any western country.

The west is a great place for guys that don't want women.

For whatever reason.

haha I agree, but I am already married to a lovely Thai lady.

Being single and in Thailand is a huge benefit.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Who said anything about great misery or that it ahs gone to hell. Most of us here are living great lives with absolutely no economic or or other problems. Except the mental health is crippled by to much BS in the news and questions like yours. ????????

Several folks throughout various threads that I am reading. There's a lot of information so I am sure I will come across more (which is why I dropped this question). I appreciate the conversation going on as it has provided some insight that might help me or someone else in the future. 

I mean, if you're happy and you know it... this question probably isn't for you.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Climate and cost of living, the same 2 reasons I moved here.

Just because people live here, it doesn't mean they have to love everything about the place.

I despise the current government, but I try not to let it affect me too much, and hope that once these clowns are voted, or thrown, out, the whole country will be happier. 

and that makes 2

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, HappyGoLuckyLife said:

Several folks throughout various threads that I am reading. There's a lot of information so I am sure I will come across more (which is why I dropped this question). I appreciate the conversation going on as it has provided some insight that might help me or someone else in the future. 

I mean, if you're happy and you know it... this question probably isn't for you.

Hope you are getting picture now about people on this forum.

There is an ignore facility available.  ????

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, robblok said:

I stressed (not exactly stressed) but got worked up about all the lies and corruption in Thailand. When I arrived it was Thaksin time and he lied and cheated (just like the current mob). Back then it affected me more as I was used to clean politicians. For a long time I was under the impression (wrongfully) that an other government would be cleaner. 

In which country were you lucky enough to find clean politicians?

11 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I want to still be riding my big bike at 80 it will make me feel good just like it does now.

What you want and what you will be able to do are entirely different.

I'd like to go trail running and mountain biking in the mountains ..... that all finished for me at 63.

At 65, I can still sit around eating and drinking but that's about it.

I can't even wee without daily medication.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Sad 2

20 minutes ago, HappyGoLuckyLife said:

Honestly, if that fit for everyone, I wouldn't have made the post, but that isn't necessarily the case. But thank you for your input.

Of course not for everyone, but it's common sense it's why many stay who don't like it. If they had half a million quid they would be gone before you could say somtum and sticky rice.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

Thanks for the unpleasant  insult. I'm 80, lived here permanently since 1980, with a 5 year break in Taiwan 1987-1993. Very happy in Thailand, and still have my hair and my teeth although a bit slower these days walking upstairs.

I  once  told my dentist that at 56 I didnt  have a  filling in my  mouth, he  was  amazed, I then added I didnt have any teeth

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, CharlieH said:

The decisions made as a 50 yr old dont always sit with a 65 yr old, but the bed has been mde so they lie in it.

Some have gone "all in " and basically would be going back to nothing and no one, the country they knew is long gone.

Better the devil you know for many. Like or not it is there home now.

A good answer to the OP question. I think I fit with that pattern to some extent. The main factor for me is the "back to nothing and no one". I have a wonderful woman in Thailand. However, I'm not "all in", invested yes but I don't spend the whole year around in Thailand. No way I could do it, I hate the hot weather and the lack of intellectual curiosity of the Thais, the near total impossibility to hold a 2 minutes discussion with any of them. So yes I keep going back, I'm hooked.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I want to still be riding my big bike at 80 it will make me feel good just like it does now.

You  know at 18 my  first  bike wa s so so good, I had a few  after that  and then when here got a 650..........it sits unused in the garage but I will  not  sell  it, maybe it reminds me of that 18 yr  old  kid..............sh%^ its  a  sad  day today☹️

listening to this dont help either 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Walker88 said:

[snipped] that is a self-selected demographic. Folks who want to moan will post. Folks content don't.

That's a  good point.

Differences from home can lead to frustration, as one is use to a certain way of doing things, a certain availability of goods and services, etc.

Do you think better research on their part could have helped staved this off? Maybe in settling in a country that "feels" more like what they were used to?

Another issue, IMO, is that many retired folks came with unrealistic expectations, both about how far their money would go, and how they would be 'welcomed' by young Thai women (the fantasy element).

To speak on the first part of this. This is where I think we today have the advantage over those retiring yesteryear. I think we're more in tune with how little or how far money goes these days. I do come across posts where talking about the days where the dollar came close to 70 baht, even during an event like the pandemic, those numbers won't come again. I think many of us know that and spend accordingly.

As for the last part. Hey, happy hunting to the Elmer Fudds of the world!

They arrive mid morning and stay until closing. I don't think the gym occupied any part of their day, probably for the last 20-30 years. I would have to assume their bodies do not adjust well to spending most of the day immobile and with a waist that is ever expanding. Aches and pains

Again, touched on another important set of topics, keeping busy and keeping in shape. First, I was blown away that Thailand has gym equipment in almost all parks and just set up randomly for people to exercise. I mean, no, they don't have power racks and what not laying around, but you can get a damn good workout in and all the cardio you can handle.

Another important aspect is simply keeping busy in your "retirement". Just because you're on a retirement Visa doesn't mean there aren't things people can do to enrich their minds, health, etc., That would give people plenty to do and to bring variety to the day. 

Roll with the punches, accept irritations as challenges, and seek out positive experiences and joys is likely to lead to contentment, no matter where one is.

I'm turning this into a motivational graphic to use as a computer wallpaper. Well said! Thanks for your input!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MRToMRT said:

In defence of the older posters (of which I am one). They experienced a different Thailand, a more 3rd world, on the edge, ruralistic, culturally dependent, cheaper, base, developing Thailand than exists today. They simply miss those days and times. The times when Thailand was a thrilling foreign and cultural experience to the young foreigner, not the standard internationalised concrete culturally devoid capitalistic template it offers today like most other places.

Worse  still is the change in many Thais, seems  rife with greed

• Like 1

Unfortunately am too entrenched now with property , partner etc but I never thought 10 years down the line and having my only residence here ,that I would still not be a "resident" , just a one year tourist with a visas that could be snatched away in a flash and told to leave . I also did not think 10 years down the line that there would still be a Military Junta in power   SO , one has to accept the bed one has made and sleep in it - for now anyway !  

• Thanks 1

This whole thread and others like it...(there are plenty)...is for reassurance ,liked to a floating lifebelt ,  You are not on your own,others around you same opinion,its sad tho,there are more likened to this than other way around (if there are any)

• Confused 2

6 minutes ago, Headgame said:

Always get a kick out of this topic.
I'm 77 and have lived here happily for 11 yrs.
I don't give a <deleted> about the politics here - nothing I can do about it.

Covid has been worrisome but I took all the reasonable precautions and have avoided that monster. Now have my shots but still wear the mask, etc.
Never have sought out other westerner friends. My limited experience was, they all drank too damn much.

Went a little crazy in my first few years here but damn, that was fun.

My sweet Thai partner of the past 8 years died suddenly last week from a massive heart attack - age 44. Worst thing that has ever happened to me. But I will recover from that loss (somehow) and continue to be thankful for those amazing 8 years. I mention this not for sympathy, but rather to remember to treasure every day as if it's your last. With that in mind, stop bitching and be happy. Life can kick you in the nuts very quickly and unexpectedly. And it doesn't matter where you are when that happens.

Namaste mate. Take care of yourself. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

What you want and what you will be able to do are entirely different.

I'd like to go trail running and mountain biking in the mountains ..... that all finished for me at 63.

At 65, I can still sit around eating and drinking but that's about it.

I can't even wee without daily medication.

Do you even care that your story changes faster than the weather. Gotta love anonymous forums.