Why Do You Stay?

10 hours ago, Freddy42OZ said:

Unrelated but did you know that ex-Singer Belinda Carlisle and her husband have been living in Bangkok for a number of years? 

I did not know, which is totally cool because I was a fan back in the day. And like many, I crushed on her hard. LOL.

Edited by HappyGoLuckyLife
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Johnny Mac said:

Of course not for everyone, but it's common sense it's why many stay who don't like it. If they had half a million quid they would be gone before you could say somtum and sticky rice.

I get that. I'd rather ask a question than assume how others think. I don't know about you, but I learned some things today. For that, I say mission accomplished. Having people from diverse backgrounds speak from their point of view removes my having to make (possibly false) assumptions.

10 hours ago, Johnny Mac said:

Of course not for everyone, but it's common sense it's why many stay who don't like it. If they had half a million quid they would be gone before you could say somtum and sticky rice.

I get that. I'd rather ask a question than assume how others think. I don't know about you, but I learned some things today. For that, I say mission accomplished. Having people from diverse backgrounds speak from their point of view removes my having to make (possibly false) assumptions.

9 hours ago, Headgame said:

My sweet Thai partner of the past 8 years died suddenly last week from a massive heart attack - age 44. Worst thing that has ever happened to me. But I will recover from that loss (somehow) and continue to be thankful for those amazing 8 years. I mention this not for sympathy, but rather to remember to treasure every day as if it's your last. With that in mind, stop bitching and be happy. Life can kick you in the nuts very quickly and unexpectedly. And it doesn't matter where you are when that happens.

My condolences for your loss. I offer no sympathy, but I do offer a moment of silence for the passing of your loved one. You speak truth and me and everyone else should take a second to listen.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, fredscats said:

This whole thread and others like it...(there are plenty)...is for reassurance

Reassurance for whom? I don't know the intent of other threads similar to this. Haven't come across them (though I am sure others have). For me, this is a discussion based on what I have seen during my time on the forum and wanted to know more about why. There have been those that have shared insights in which I found value. Hope you can say the same.

2 minutes ago, HappyGoLuckyLife said:

Reassurance for whom? I don't know the intent of other threads similar to this. Haven't come across them (though I am sure others have). For me, this is a discussion based on what I have seen during my time on the forum and wanted to know more about why. There have been those that have shared insights in which I found value. Hope you can say the same.

There is one running right now,virtually alongside yours  "name the three countries you would like to move to if you left Thailand" not that its a one off,more like a cry for help as its repeated that often in one form or another,  sort of get me out of here(but nowhere to go)

3 minutes ago, fredscats said:

There is one running right now,virtually alongside yours  "name the three countries you would like to move to if you left Thailand" not that its a one off,more like a cry for help as its repeated that often in one form or another,  sort of get me out of here(but nowhere to go)

I read that. And I think this is a little different because I want to know (for those who say they hate living in Thailand, hate Thai food, etc.,) why they feel that what. What makes them feel that way. I am not sure how that is looking for reassurance versus being interested in their thoughts/feelings about the subject. There's been some very insightful and well-thought-out answers in this thread. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, bbbbooboo said:

Yes, the climate and cost of living generally are the 2 main draw cards, which is why most of us farangs a.k.a “aliens”are in Thailand

Seriously? IMO they are both positives, but I'd have lived in Alaska if the girls were more beautiful and available than in LOS.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HappyGoLuckyLife said:

My condolences for your loss. I offer no sympathy, but I do offer a moment of silence for the passing of your loved one. You speak truth and me and everyone else should take a second to listen.

Very sorry for your loss and may your much loved wife rest in peace. Keep going, and remember the good times.

16 hours ago, crazykopite said:

I have a beautiful beach front villa I have a choice sell it and leave or rent it out long term and leave I would prefer the first option what I’m not prepared to do is give it away for silly money . At 70 I have still got my bucket list to complete and that means visiting other countries and experiencing that countries way of life I havnt left Thailand in 16 years it’s time for new challenges 

I would be careful about renting, especially to Thais

A lot of attacks here about "complainers" and people with "negative attitudes".

But if you sit and think about it, complaints and gripes are the only reason this forum exists. The headlines and lack of details in opening articles are intended to rile and cause reaction, almost inciting complaint. Why? Ever seen how many ads are on each page, each post/click/page refresh provides the money that keeps it going, its self perpetuating based on anger/frustration.

And if you think long and hard about it most of the reactions are complaining about complainers. Self defeating POV?

• Like 2

On 10/11/2021 at 7:53 AM, HappyGoLuckyLife said:

What makes you stay in spite of feeling such misery. I am only trying to understand where it all went to hell for some of you

Thailand has been my home for over 20 years.
I've seen a lot come and go.
I've noticed that some guys come here to live, looking for that young pretty that calls them sexy man as they walk down the road. 
Some of these guys at times end up getting married to a woman that has been rejected by the Thai guys, an awful, horrible woman. I reckon this makes the foreigner unhappy and angry, they hate themselves and everything, never happy always miserable. 
I'm still in my 50's, my children are teenagers and the eldest looking to go to university in Bangkok next year, maybe when I'm older I will get angry and bitter. 
I hope not 
????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/11/2021 at 9:48 AM, Walker88 said:

I'm not sure there is one, or a simple, answer.

If the OP sees lots of moaning on this site, well, that is a self-selected demographic. Folks who want to moan will post. Folks content don't. The thread gets skewed by the self-selection. One issue may draw out certain people; some people get drawn out by every issue.

A second reason is that Thailand may be the first country, other than their birth country, where one has taken up residence. Differences from home can lead to frustration, as one is use to a certain way of doing things, a certain availability of goods and services, etc. It seems to me folks who have lived in many different lands adapt better to Thailand, as one learns how to be 'an expat' and adjust to the idiosyncrasies each culture and land has.

Then there's the 'nostalgia ain't what it used to be'...a funny quip, but one that reflects the fact that 'the past = young', and for most people young is better. My father is wont to tell me over and over, "Aging isn't for sissies".

Another issue, IMO, is that many retired folks came with unrealistic expectations, both about how far their money would go, and how they would be 'welcomed' by young Thai women (the fantasy element). Well, exporting one's self into Thailand doesn't turn a bald, chubby, 65-year old on a meager pension into Brad Pitt with Jeff Bezos' money. One had best be darn entertaining if one's goal is to dally with the local lovelies. I suppose one can also pretend, "She really likes me!"

On my way to work each day I pass a few restaurants with al fresco dining options. I see the exact same people in the same seats each day. They arrive mid morning and stay until closing. I don't think the gym occupied any part of their day, probably for the last 20-30 years. I would have to assume their bodies do not adjust well to spending most of the day immobile and with a waist that is ever expanding. Aches and pains---inevitable if one doesn't take care---can turn a person bitter. Perhaps this immobility and daily drinking is 'living the dream', but I doubt it is the "November of life" they had in mind. At that age it's likely too late to get rich and not particularly easy to get in shape. They seem to be marking time until entering 'the box'. Perhaps my analysis is 100% wrong, but the realization that the dream was a fantasy might lead to bitterness and seeking outlets to moan.

Folks who take care of themselves, planned well, and perhaps had more realistic expectations are more likely to be generally content. All of us get a hair across our backsides on occasion, but as another poster pointed out, those intent on being happy will be happy. Roll with the punches, accept irritations as challenges, and seek out positive experiences and joys is likely to lead to contentment, no matter where one is.

One of the best-written posts I've read in quite sometime.  Thank you. 

• Like 1