Why Do You Stay?

I would rather turn this upside down. Very few people find their own paradise because life, generally, isn't conducive to that end. Those who came to Thailand seeking such, I think are in a small minority because most accept that while they do not have to deal with (our own) native problems, they are replaced with other problems. For example, perhaps in our native country the crime rate may be higher but road accidents/deaths in Thailand will almost certainly be higher.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, MarleyMarl said:

I think the main negatives of my home country (NZ) are all just about money and cost of living, but if those aren't an issue, maybe it could be great?

You forgot lack of slim young available women, who can't divorce rape you.

Which is the main negative in any western country.

The west is a great place for guys that don't want women.

For whatever reason.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

When I came to Bangkok some 30+ years ago I was full filling a promise I had made to my wife when we married. That when I retired in 1991, I would bring her back home to be near her family. Though I was still young only 49 and I still what'd to work. Had a hard time finding a job here due to all the Thai work restrictions. Took 2 1/2 years but got the job I wanted and new I could move up the ladder there. Before working I had little money and school cost for my 8 year old daughter took most of what I had left after pay the monthly bills. I had planed well begging in 1986 to make the move. Wife bought land next to her family and had house build just before we move here. Once working a I had more then enough money. Back then things were simple like going to IMO in and out within 30 minutes, doing it all by myself. As the time moved on things got more difficult to do, IMO with 10 years now took 1 hour and each year I went always something new. Daughter grew-up went to the states for college which ended up being 12 years finishing with 1 BS, 2 MS and 1 Phd. Married and no way moving back hear. That made it a little more harder. Then I had to retire 13 years ago now a lot more time on my hands with nothing to do. Money after the first 3 years was never a issue, what to do was. Now to old to move back  to the states and I problely would not like it there anyways. Wife's family is getting smaller each year, I'll be here until I die or if my wife goes first then just maybe I'll return to be with my daughter, but not to live with her just near by.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

People have a right to moan wherever they are, personally I'd rather moan here than anywhere else. I think those who imply that they don't complain are hypocrites, especially the "If you don't like it here why don't you leave" crowd.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I do my fair share of complaining but I live here because I feel safer and more free than in my home country. There are also no big issue sellers or chuggers on every high street. I'll also admit I'm more of a 'catch' here. It's nice to have the 7/11 staff getting excited when I walk in. I can put a smile on others' faces quite easily. I know that probably won't last forever but it's nice to be liked. 

Edited by alien365
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, CharlieH said:

The decisions made as a 50 yr old dont always sit with a 65 yr old, but the bed has been mde so they lie in it.

Some have gone "all in " and basically would be going back to nothing and no one, the country they knew is long gone.

Better the devil you know for many. Like or not it is there home now.

....but bet the hell they would like to change it.  "give up all hope"  sort of suggests,its money that dictates,choices limited with none, its none       its me and my mutts keep me here,plus cheap cleaning sh.ag or two too,daily life  bit of a mix,   keep doint the lotto tho in uk

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Old people are generally unhappy because they're old and their bodies are failing.

Doesn't matter where they are.

Also a lot of them are not rich and never have been, so they are doubly miserable. 

I know a few old guys who don't need to worry about money and you'll never hear them complaining about anything.  

Unrelated but did you know that ex-Singer Belinda Carlisle and her husband have been living in Bangkok for a number of years?  

One of my friends met them at a dinner party here.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Freddy42OZ said:

I know a few old guys who don't need to worry about money and you'll never hear them complaining about anything.  

I know a super rich Thai guy and his wife, and they're the unhappiest people in the world.

They never stop complaining about each other.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

well they  kind  of did stating 150k  of  them were  for  foreigners

And this was recently if I'm not mistaken. If every country would have shipped vaccines for their citizens, Thailand could have (hopefully) better focused on securing vaccines for the Thais. If other countries sent testing kits, etc, for their respective populations living in Thailand, then Thai resources could have (again hopefully) have been better allocated. As you can see, there's a lot of hopefully going on with me. LOL.