Product Safety: Angle Grinder Chainsaw Disc Attachment

Morakot

From the Tools from Hell forum...

Saw this official announcement; it basically concluded that a chainsaw disc attached to an angle grinder has a safety profile of a chainsaw crossed with an M80. ????‍♂️

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-safety-alert-issued-for-angle-grinder-chainsaw-disc-attachment

Widely sold in Thailand at various online retailers. Definitely NOT recommended!

85c06576e22e37a400e79d27894e747e.jpg_2200x2200q80.jpg

7b77348db72a3880f04d39deda08351f.jpg_2200x2200q80.jpg

Edited by Morakot
  • Like 1

On 10/12/2021 at 5:10 AM, worgeordie said:

Chainsaw attachment for a angle grinder

Yes, BLADE attachments are not very safe because --unlike a proper chainsaw-- they don't have a brake that disengages the drive in the event of a kickback. Likewise there's a lack of a trigger switch as you already mentioned is a problem.

The DISC attachment apparently is even worse! The report states that chainsaw discs attached to angel grinders have caused several catastrophic injuries to face and neck areas. Apparently the entire contraption can propel itself upwards when kickback happens.

Edited by Morakot

2 hours ago, Morakot said:

The DISC attachment apparently is even worse! The report states that chainsaw discs attached to angel grinders have caused several catastrophic injuries to face and neck areas. Apparently the entire contraption can propel itself upwards when kickback happens.

you are absolutely correct. The above video was made as a public service by an extremely experienced woodworker.

957EA0F7-7A93-4707-8D24-2A30EF9D16FD.thumb.jpeg.086ae842e7badf5d22b88b022ecca22b.jpeg

this is the result of a relatively mild kickback and he was wearing protection. He was lucky enough to get what most would consider mild injuries considering what could have happened.

A chainsaw spinning between 7,000-11,000 rpms, what could go wrong? 

Edit; I heard larger chainsaws need a permit in Thailand but this mini-saw is absurd.

Edited by bbko

2 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

you are absolutely correct. The above video was made as a public service by an extremely experienced woodworker.

957EA0F7-7A93-4707-8D24-2A30EF9D16FD.thumb.jpeg.086ae842e7badf5d22b88b022ecca22b.jpeg

this is the result of a relatively mild kickback and he was wearing protection. He was lucky enough to get what most would consider mild injuries considering what could have happened.

The  switch is  the main problem, I ended  up with 6  stitches in my  knee, it  wa s on the END  of the angle grinder, As i moved it  past my leg it  caught  on my trouser material and turned it  on..............right over my leg....I .just  tell  everyone it was from my days  as a Ninja in Japan.

But YES those switches are atrocious, I  have 2  angles grindersone at  my  other  house a Bosch has the  switch when you release it  it stops, wouldnt  have happened with that one but the other a Makkta or Makta is a death trap......have nightmares  now of  looking like Joker in Batman

20190714_155114.jpg.7b48650e890824a3f2db3eb8744fb4d7 - Copy.jpg

Edited by Rampant Rabbit

1 hour ago, bbko said:

A chainsaw spinning between 7,000-11,000 rpms, what could go wrong? 

Edit; I heard larger chainsaws need a permit in Thailand but this mini-saw is absurd.

Ah well  like everything else  here its  supposedly  limited to a  bar  length of  less than 12  inch  without a  permit BUT when you  buy it  they sell it  as a 12  inch and after  sell  it you they then can add a 14-16-18  inch bar and chain......to  by pass regs

If you want to buy a more powerful name brand petrol chain saw it is not difficult in Thailand. You need only work with your retailer to go to the correct government office to obtain the FREE permit for a chain saw in Thailand. There is a police background check requited, which is inexpensive. Once you or your Thai spouse pass the requirements you can obtain the permit for a specific larger more powerful chainsaw than the "normal" 11.5 inch chainsaws sold all over Thailand. A responsible retailer will not sell the longer bar, or the more powerful chainsaw unless you have the permit. The longer cutting chain is not an issue as it is a consumable. Husqvarna and Stihl chainsaws have decent service and parts in Thailand in my personal experience. 

Buriram Husqvarna petrol chain saw repaired.jpg

Buriram Husqvarna gasoline chainsaw tested.jpg

Buriram Stihl Chainsaw Bar Oil Delivery.JPG