Who are these Foreign Teachers who have "problems " with their Visas or Work Permits

Hearing a lot of vague things by teachers claiming they cannot be hired and are qualified and in-country. Here is a quote from a facebook ad from American English -- "We understand that there are many, good teachers out there who, through no fault of their own, cannot currently get a legal visa or work permit. Sorry, nothing personal, but we can't help you."  What Are They Talking About?  ANYONE?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Many shonky schools might not provide visas or work permits leaving the teacher to DIY. Of course, one should run from these jobs but if you're not particularly employable the teacher might overlook the clear and present danger and look for any means to land THAT job. Of course, many chancers rock up here still with no plan and no diploma. Finally, lots of teachers with more than there share of *bad luck* which is really general incompetence. Largely what landed them here in the first place.

• Like 1

I'm out in Issan and easily had my Covid extension converted to a Non-B, about 6 months ago for my current job. I actually got it and my work permit in record speed, about 2 weeks. I was amazed.

They could be talking about the "waiver" problem. Before you can get the full teaching license you apply for waivers at each school. Once the teachers' council doesn't want to give a teacher any more, they're sent packing. However, I have heard of teachers with a high number of waivers (3 and up) still getting another, in light of this current shortage.

29 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

This thread is about getting an Extension of Stay and work permit for TEFL teachers, not the B visa required to enter Thailand.

Post doesn't say that at all. It says qualified people in country unable to get visa or work permits.  No work permit unless have B visa or O marriage.  If have either & your testamur and transcript and job offer then no problem getting WP

• Like 2

20 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

It might be that Thailand requires most TEFL teachers to have a Bachelor degree (in any subject!), in order for a work permit to be issued.  Some teachers have impeccable TEFL qualifications and experience, but no degree.

Why not buy one on the internet, many have done in the past

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

So that's the process?

Why can't someone obtain a full teaching license straight up?

You can if you have one from your home country, but as I understand it the restriction is that it must pertain to the subject you are going to teach., e.g. a teaching cert in PE will not necessarily allow you a teachers license for English.

20 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

It might be that Thailand requires most TEFL teachers to have a Bachelor degree (in any subject!), in order for a work permit to be issued.  Some teachers have impeccable TEFL qualifications and experience, but no degree.

What High degree teacher is going to work for a small wage such as 50000 baht a month they would have to be crackers

21 hours ago, sapson said:

No preferred the eighties

Of course they have along with the circa 35k salaries and directors envelopes.

Very optimistic.

There are Facebook ads paying native English teachers 17,000b a month.

5 minutes ago, Colabamumbai said:

Many schools wanted to hire me to teach, few would provide paperwork for Non B visa and Work Permit. Still teaching at 71.

Maybe time to get a degree in something

23 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I did not have any degrees, but did have impeccable TEFL qualifications and experience, and the two schools I worked at always got me work permits.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I did not have any degrees, but did have impeccable TEFL qualifications and experience, and the two schools I worked at always got me work permits.

How long does a TEFL course take in Thailand.

The characters in Bui Vien street, Saigon, seem to obtain them without lot of commitment hours wise.

Edited by DrJack54

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

The characters in Bui Vien street Saigon seem to obtain them without lot of commitment hours wise.

Only about 3 months, with the option to do it again free of charge if you failed the course, but out of a class of about 15, two dropped out during the course.

• Sad 1

23 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Not possible to have a quality TEFL Certificate without a degree. Not possible to work at prestigious institutions without a degree. Only cowboy outfits offer TEFL Certs to non degree holders

13 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

The characters in Bui Vien street, Saigon, seem to obtain them without lot of commitment hours wise.

How many hours of classroom teaching does the course include. Real employers that pay real wages require real qualifications

30 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Not possible to have a quality TEFL Certificate without a degree. Not possible to work at prestigious institutions without a degree. Only cowboy outfits offer TEFL Certs to non degree holders

Did you read @possum1931's post above?  A CELTA or Trinity TESOL qualification does not require students to have a degree.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, EvetsKram said:

Try being in Thailand and get yourself a B visa.  These are obtainable out of country only.  

Incorrect, as are many posts on this thread. 

Seems many people either have never taught in Thailand or are quoting something they were told years ago and assume it is still correct.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Hammer2021 said:

How many hours of classroom teaching does the course include. Real employers that pay real wages require real qualifications

Why you telling me. I'm not looking to be a teacher. 

I asked how long does a TEFL course take to complete in Thailand.

Just didn't answer the question so.......

On 10/12/2021 at 1:52 PM, sapson said:

With the khaosan road university department being closed for a while it could makes it more difficult.

That's permanently closed. Schools are now required to certify transcripts and immigration is (for once) actually doing their job and scrutinizing the process closely.

1 hour ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Absolutely wrong. I have a legitimate TEFL certificate I earned in Phuket, no bachelors degree (which IS a requirement to teach legally in Thailand).