Jump to content

Toyota car buying queries


Recommended Posts

I purchased a Toyota Fortuner originally with a 4 year loan, negotiated in with a small discount, free first class insurance, and 5 years free servicing.

 

They didn't approve the loan as I'm here currently on a PE visa without a work permit so I just bought it with cash without a new contract drawn up. They wanted remove the discount and the freebies but I said I wouldn't go through with the purchase unless they kept them in so agreed to provide them all.

 

A few questions:

 - The contract states first class insurance is included but it doesn't specify a length. I assumed the length of the insurance would be the length of the original loan like Mercedes does but now they're saying it's only 1 year. What is the norm with Toyota when you get a loan and they include insurance? Is it for 1 year or for the duration of the loan?

 - When I brought the car in for the first service they said only labour is included for free and I had to pay for the oil. Is that normal? I would've thought free service meant the service was completely free.

 - I purchased the "AirLumba" massage seat option which the brochure showed two buttons for (both front seats) but they only installed it on one seat saying I needed to pay extra to have the 2nd seat. Anyone know if that's correct? I wasn't given an option to buy the option twice when I bought it so I assumed it would be on both front seats.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What there doing is normal. 

Wait until they tell your air-con needs cleaning and needs new filters.

Your brake fluid needs changing. 

Your Transmission fluid needs changing. 

What about asking them check your wheel alignment. !!

Just for starters take to Cockpit if the local one has a good reputation.  

 

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Forgot to add you can request to get a Vehicle Owners Manual in English through your Toyota dealer.  Requested and had the English version in 2 weeks.  Toyota actually follows the manufacturers recommendations for servicing as in the Owners Manual when you do your 10K interval service. Good thing about Toyota Khao Yai in Nakhon Ratchasima is there is a viewing area where you can see them service your vehicle.  Have been very impressed by their service after sale.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Saraburi121 said:

Just bought a new Fortuner last month on four year finance. Previous vehicle was a Toyota Rocco purchased through the same Toyota Dealership.

 

- First class insurance was provided for one year for free. Company was Viriyah which I have not had an issue with. Replaced windshield after get a piece of steel kicked up from the road and some trim after I launched a dog into the afterlife.  No issues and had both repairs done at the Toyota dealership.  Go to the Toyota Dealership and renew insurance and pay road tax every year, they take care of everything for 500 baht.  Getting my white plates this week and a nice lady from Toyota is going with us take care of the details. 

-Have to pay for oil and labor is free is the deal.  Haven't had the first oil change in the Fortuner yet but the Rocco was about 1200 baht per oil change for Toyota Semi Senthetic oil.  Probably get it a bit cheaper elsewhere but I can make the appointment and be in and out quickly at the dealership. Replaced the air conditioner filter at 40K on the Rocco but the dealership wanted 1200 baht for a cheap paper filter.  Got it elsewhere for 250 baht. 

-Air lumbar seats looked nice but couldn't negotiate them adding it as a free accessory. Quite expensive at over 30K each.  I just used the Air Lumbar To Go at 3990 baht each from my Rocco https://www.toyota.co.th/accessories/product/detail/4148   Conformable addition to already comfortable seats. 

 

2,500 thb on shopee

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Air Lumba To Go were freebies from the Rocco purchase and are over 4 years old and still look good and function the same.  I would put due diligence into researching the quality and authenticity of the products from online shopping sites. 

 

Looking for some nice seat covers for the Fortuner but seem hard to find.  Lots of cheap ones but they cover the side airbag on the outboard of the seat which is not good. 

 

Good luck and enjoy the Fortuner!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Saraburi121 said:

The Air Lumba To Go were freebies from the Rocco purchase and are over 4 years old and still look good and function the same.  I would put due diligence into researching the quality and authenticity of the products from online shopping sites. 

 

Looking for some nice seat covers for the Fortuner but seem hard to find.  Lots of cheap ones but they cover the side airbag on the outboard of the seat which is not good. 

 

Good luck and enjoy the Fortuner!

I was just razzing. I don't doubt the thing on Lazada is junk. A few thousand Baht one way or the other does not mean much in the scheme of things. the important thing is that you are happy with them. 

 

You do not like the existing seats or you just want to protect them? The seat in mine are one of my favorite things. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Same for me, One year  insurance  only paid. After  5 years, insurance  drops to  2nd Class,  and  no,  no claim discount , allowed on   that class of insurance.

I  had noticed  after  each  service at my Toyota dealer  they were not  greasing the Universal Joints each 10,,000 kms, as recommended.   Next time I went in I asked for this to be done. Not one person there spoke  English,  I had the Thai word for grease written down, and  drew  a  diagram of underneath  a car,   drive shaft,   motor, diif etc,, and  indicated the three  grease nipples to be done.   "OK. Ok" I  was assured,,  Got the car back,,, they had bloody well changed the diif oil.    Went home  crawled under the car and did the UV joints myself.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, HAPPYNUFF said:

After  5 years, insurance  drops to  2nd Class,  and  no,  no claim discount , allowed on   that class of insurance.

Better check around - First Class available for vehicles older than 5 years.

As is a No Claims bonus - have it on all my riders/drives

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, HAPPYNUFF said:

Same for me, One year  insurance  only paid. After  5 years, insurance  drops to  2nd Class,  and  no,  no claim discount , allowed on   that class of insurance.

I  had noticed  after  each  service at my Toyota dealer  they were not  greasing the Universal Joints each 10,,000 kms, as recommended.   Next time I went in I asked for this to be done. Not one person there spoke  English,  I had the Thai word for grease written down, and  drew  a  diagram of underneath  a car,   drive shaft,   motor, diif etc,, and  indicated the three  grease nipples to be done.   "OK. Ok" I  was assured,,  Got the car back,,, they had bloody well changed the diif oil.    Went home  crawled under the car and did the UV joints myself.

I no doubt there are some good Toyota frachizie dealerships in Thailand I never found one. 

Even Isuzu dealership I found expensive and wanting change things that didn't need changing on the 2nd service so I never bother and go where I always have done. 

 

Edited by Kwasaki
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just purchased a new Toyota Corolla Cross.  Different experience at different dealerships.  It appears as though Toyota controls the discount on new Toyota.  So the difference ends up being the "extras" that the dealership will include.  Mine included free ceramic film, cargo liner, free 1 year insurance, labor only on service, 15% discount on other service, full tank of gas, and door handle scratch protection inserts. 

I opted not to take the insurance which they offered 20,000 baht discount.  I got online with road service, and rental car insurance and still bought for only 12,800 baht. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One thing that puzzled me was there was only 15 liters of diesel in the tank when I bought the Fortuner.  I asked the dealer to fill it up and they would not.  Kind of odd you spend a lot of money but they can’t send you out the door with a full tank of fuel. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, wprime said:

and 5 years free servicing.

LOL free ? my car is past that but Nissan wanted 1k + for air con filter, 1k + engine air filter i brought them on laz for less than 200 thb each. Electric rad fan motor 6200 thb packed up after 14 months very low klm in that time, I got an after sales one for 1500 thb still ok after 30 months.   main dealers are just robbing barstewards. Wanted to do a brake fluid change and fit new brakes at exurbanite price 2 years ago, total BS brakes are fine, fluid will get changed when brakes need changing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, wprime said:

A few questions:...

From my experience with Toyota and buying a new car...

 

- The contract states first class insurance is included but it doesn't specify a length. I assumed the length of the insurance would be the length of the original loan like Mercedes does but now they're saying it's only 1 year. What is the norm with Toyota when you get a loan and they include insurance? Is it for 1 year or for the duration of the loan? 

Only first year insurance is normally included, you pay for the additional years - Mercedes is probably just adding the cost for additional insurance years to the price of their car, which is in another price range; remember nothing is "free" - I choose the same insurer that I used for my old car, and got a discount for my additional years.

 

- When I brought the car in for the first service they said only labour is included for free and I had to pay for the oil. Is that normal? I would've thought free service meant the service was completely free. 

Yes, that is correct, normally you get an agreed number of years free labor on service included, but not parts and oil etc,; except if it's something broken under warranty.

 

- I purchased the "AirLumba" massage seat option which the brochure showed two buttons for (both front seats) but they only installed it on one seat saying I needed to pay extra to have the 2nd seat. Anyone know if that's correct? I wasn't given an option to buy the option twice when I bought it so I assumed it would be on both front seats. 

I didn't buy massage seats, so I don't know, but normally there is a small tiny print in brochures saying something like that shown images might be different from actual product.

 

Edit: PS, I've been extremely happy with both Toyota's service, and the actual product, i.e. the car...????????

Edited by khunPer
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/12/2021 at 5:41 PM, KhunLA said:

OP needed to read the not so fine print a wee bit better, before buying.  But as stated, normal, 1 yr ins. / labor only.  Massage seat, haven't a clue.

 

On dealers, yea, franchises, so everyone's experience may be different.  Toyota / Udon Thani was steller.

 

Mazda / Udon Thani, also excellent.

Mazda / Hua Hin, very good

Mazda / Pranburi ... avoid at all cost, drive the extra to HH.

 

MG / Hua Hin, OK, new dealer, techs, learning process, but satisfied.  Now have one closer to home.

Im interested to hear how the MG is ?

My buddys is a lemon , and its been back in the shop over TWENTY times in 16 months.

Its the top line SUV...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/12/2021 at 6:27 PM, Saraburi121 said:

 Forgot to add you can request to get a Vehicle Owners Manual in English through your Toyota dealer.  Requested and had the English version in 2 weeks.  Toyota actually follows the manufacturers recommendations for servicing as in the Owners Manual when you do your 10K interval service. Good thing about Toyota Khao Yai in Nakhon Ratchasima is there is a viewing area where you can see them service your vehicle.  Have been very impressed by their service after sale.

I did that and they claimed they posted it but it never turned up, I'm sure the girl was lying though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, zaZa9 said:

Im interested to hear how the MG is ?

My buddys is a lemon , and its been back in the shop over TWENTY times in 16 months.

Its the top line SUV...

Only got 23k kms on it, but no issues, 2 oil changes, the only 'service' done.  Dash cam cra pped out, they gave us a new one.  Besides that, really liking it.  Don't care for the app, iSmart, useless, and just marketing, don't need or use it.

 

I think it's the smallest & cheapest out there, but we don't use the few extras that it offers, so really didn't need anything else, especially for what others were priced at.  They offer 3 versions (entry/mid/top) + an EV model and we got the mid level,  Less electronics, I don't need to worry about failing, and no sunroof, that I sure don't need or would use in the tropics. Not worth paying 100k more for.

 

If passes the test of time, I'd buy another, if nothing else caught my eye. ????

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Only got 23k kms on it, but no issues, 2 oil changes, the only 'service' done.  Dash cam cra pped out, they gave us a new one.  Besides that, really liking it.  Don't care for the app, iSmart, useless, and just marketing, don't need or use it.

 

I think it's the smallest & cheapest out there, but we don't use the few extras that it offers, so really didn't need anything else, especially for what others were priced at.  They offer 3 versions (entry/mid/top) + an EV model and we got the mid level,  Less electronics, I don't need to worry about failing, and no sunroof, that I sure don't need or would use in the tropics. Not worth paying 100k more for.

 

If passes the test of time, I'd buy another, if nothing else caught my eye. ????

They are good looking, and I seem to see a lot of them. Seems to be a lot of dealerships popping up as well.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...