Thailand’s ‘Bold Move’ to revive tourism to take years, analysts say

webfact

7 hours ago, nkg said:

China claim to have had 4,636 covid deaths in total, and 96,435 cases of covid since 2019. With a similar population, India have 451,220 deaths and 34,000,500 cases.

If those figures are close to being accurate, China's borders are likely to stay sealed for a long time to come.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/china/

But surely Thailand can get 'take aways' by calling and ordering "One million tourists to go please"

4 hours ago, nkg said:

Why would anyone want to come to your expensive, sanitised tourist destination? Cities like Singapore and Tokyo have higher safety standards, cleaner streets and better drivers than Thailand could ever have.

Why don't you live in one of those safe, expensive cities? Not enough money, right? ????

cleaner  but not as much fun, like America

8 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Correct, China isn't even issuing passports to its own citizens anymore.

'No Ordinary Passports to be Issued': China Restricts Overseas Travel to Curb Fresh Covid Outbreak
https://www.news18.com/news/world/no-ordinary-passports-to-be-issued-china-restricts-overseas-travel-to-curb-fresh-covid-outbreak-4044824.html

For what it's worth that was dated the 5th of September. 

3 hours ago, hottrader77 said:

What makes me laugh is that Thailand is  letting in fully vaccinated , when in fact fully vaccinated can spread covid , catch covide and die from covid so what was the point in getting vaccinated in the first place ? And also what's the difference between vaccinated and unvaccinated answer NOTHING so why just let in vaccinated ?? As if they are special when it's them that can spread the virus and catch it and die from it same as unvaccinated. Fortunately I am naturally immune with antibodies against covid having had covid and now not got it through an antigen test , but yet I am not able to enter Thailand without quarentine when natural immunity is stronger than the vaccine crazy Thailand and other countries. I will never go for the vaccine as I don't need it.

That's true to a certain extent. But foreigners double-vaccinated with Pfizer are unlikely to need hospital treatment if they get covid, and as things stand they are compelled to buy very expensive covid insurance. Most Thais do not have that kind of immunity, or $100,000 to spend on covid treatments.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

To win foreign tourists ... so , a foreign tourist is a prize to win ?

If they want to be the winner , need to make the country and it's people more attractive to foreigners then . Much more attractive . And stop all that bad behavior against foreigners . By the government officials and the local xenophobes as well .

"And stop all that bad behavior against foreigners . By the government officials and the local xenophobes as well ."...What on earth are you talking about. Thailand is one of the most open, tolerant, friendly relaxed places in the world with regards to tourists. You are talking rubbish, or have been very unlucky, or you behaved badly. Please describe what happened to you to support your assertions.

• Confused 2

9 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Where's the risk?

International double vaxed and multi tested travelers or partially vaxed Thailand?

Though, that's changing quite rapidly. 

Seen the fully vaccinated numbers lately?

5 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

They're suppose to ignore 1.5B potential tourists just to the north of them...with 300-400M in the middle class and like to travel ????

No is saying ignore them!  You see anything in my post that uses the word ignore?   The saying never put your eggs in one basket!  If you get your head out of the sand this is a big world that includes a lot of people different people whether they match the Thai skin color or not. A balance approach regardless of how many the reason the world and Thailand are having problems is because of the Chinese!  Your approach is the reason why big business and countries won't speak up because they have $$$$ to gain. 

Up to now even with their great sinovac and sinopham approved instantly by the W.H.O has their people locked down unable to travel ever try to put things together and ask yourself Why?  I have lots of relatives in China they tell me once for Thailand is good enough it has nothing really to offer you can see the temples and elephant <deleted> on YouTube/

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sirineou said:

The only thing I can think of that can improve on that, would be to have Thais dressed in traditional native costumes lined up where the tourist arrivals exit at the airport, 

and throw rotten tomatoes at them, because if there is one thing that tourists like more than paying extra tax for their vacation, is having rotten tomatoes hurled at them by friendly locals in colorful costumes. :tongue:

Indeed. Where do I sign up?! ????

8 hours ago, BusyB said:

Nice post. But when you read the whole story, it is sick how many still castigated China for 'overpopulation' even after being told it had nothing to do with China. That, unfortunately, is what we in the rational world are dealing with.

Are you saying that the world overpopulation has nothing to do with China?

Since 1950 China and India together has increased the world population with more people than what the whole world population was year 1900.

So I would argue it has a lot to do with China. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, webfact said:

Minister Phiphat said Thailand's reopening plan coincides with many other nations' efforts to allow easier cross-border travel and is a fight to win foreign tourists in the next few months.

Thailand's reopening plan may coincide with other nations from a timing perspective, but from a complexity / unpredictability / and obsession with alcohol bans perspective Thailand is on another planet. Such a shame

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, bokningar said:

Are you saying that the world overpopulation has nothing to do with China?

Since 1950 China and India together has increased the world population with more people than what the whole world population was year 1900.

So I would argue it has a lot to do with China. 

It’s true in real numbers sure but China actually has the lowest birth rate of any country, indeed they are predicted to reduce their population by 500 million in the next 30 years as a result of the one child policy . Even thought that policy had been relaxed it hasn’t encouraged the masses to have bite kids as living in China had got too expensive 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Thaindrew said:

It’s true in real numbers sure but China actually has the lowest birth rate of any country, indeed they are predicted to reduce their population by 500 million in the next 30 years as a result of the one child policy . Even thought that policy had been relaxed it hasn’t encouraged the masses to have bite kids as living in China had got too expensive 

Hope you are right, then they only need to reduce by another 360-400 million people to get back to 1950,s population. Any hope that India will follow?

15 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Correct, China isn't even issuing passports to its own citizens anymore.

'No Ordinary Passports to be Issued': China Restricts Overseas Travel to Curb Fresh Covid Outbreak
https://www.news18.com/news/world/no-ordinary-passports-to-be-issued-china-restricts-overseas-travel-to-curb-fresh-covid-outbreak-4044824.html

Thought I remembered something to that effect in the article about low turn out for the "Golden Whatever" in Chinatown.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, thailand49 said:

Bold move!  OK if he say so!  Bold is to open now and let get on with ones life and what is surely to come instead of all the dreaming it has been close to two years one would think with that time one could get their <deleted> together?  Bold is open without any restriction not slowly crack the door an CM then slam it back close the next day!

Chiang Mai has 300 cases today

• Confused 1

Management of the pandemic has not been very successful, but the stream of absurd projections of tourist numbers has destroyed the reputation.

Another approach might be to publicise what has been achieved.

The drivers for tourism are ease of entry, in-country attractions and pricing. Skip the quarantine and health insurance deal with access.

Those able to upgrade the tourist infrastructure could "furloughed" and put on cleaning the sights and restoring monuments and museums.

As to pricing, this country has something of a good reputation to earn offering reliable value for money.

3 hours ago, Thaindrew said:

I can't be bothered ;D

On 10/13/2021 at 7:49 AM, RichardColeman said:

Wont be any travel trends - apart from stagnation - if they don't decide 100% of entry demands and stick to it for tourists to actually plan anything

From Link. Krungsri expects Thailand's population to reach 70 per cent vaccination rate by year-end with tourist arrivals forecast maintained at 300,000 this year, 14 million in 2022, 34 million in 2023, and a rebound to pre-pandemic levels of 40 million by 2024.

I think a jump from say 100,000 to 14 million in 2023 is optimistic to say the least without restrictions being completely removed, and 34 million in 26 months time is even funnier.

Not surprised considering the ridiculous figures they were quoting back in May.

9 hours ago, moe666 said:

9 hours ago, moe666 said:

CM is no different than Chon Buri!   These cases aren't coming from any past " bold move " from opening the country it has been stated many times nearly daily in the numbers the spread and numbers come from MIGRANTS!  CM being close to the border is no exception  just scroll down today Asean and you will see an article about CM " wet market "  in Chon Buri the numbers have been in the 600-800 with the Governor constantly closing factories as he is doing this the numbers are dropping.

The infection rate in Phuket isn't due to Foreigners they have already admitted in an article " Migrants "  how does one blame foreigners when those coming are all vaccinated being tested and quarantine?  The numbers could be a million in CM today do we point to foreigners?

Thailand may want China to come back, but with its huge population, it will take China years to even get 50 percent of

its population to have 1 vaccination for COVID.   Russia is not all vaxxed up either, so I do not see that many countries

who are ready to sent their populations away on an international escape vacation.  Maybe Brazil with its 600,000

dead will have a few rich people double vaxxed that want to come to Thailand, hmmm.

Thailand should just keep giving its population the COVID vaccines and get at least 80 percent doubly jabbed, including

the children.  Keep on jabbing, and good luck Thailand.

Geezer

1 hour ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Thailand may want China to come back, but with its huge population, it will take China years to even get 50 percent of

its population to have 1 vaccination for COVID.   Russia is not all vaxxed up either, so I do not see that many countries

who are ready to sent their populations away on an international escape vacation. 

Approximately 70 % of China 1.4 Billion population have had 2 doses of vaccines as of today  Oct 14, 2021