Honda new car warrantee. Paint, rust

notrub

15 10 2021

My friend bought a new honda from the main dealer in Buriram.  After the first month he noticed a tiny orange spot under the rear window rubber seal.  He washed it and forgot it.  It became a typical rust spot, under the rubber-no scratches etc.- weeping an orange drip line down the back door.  He showed it to the dealer who said it was not part of warrantee and he must claim on his insurance.  The car is only a few months old.

I wrote earlier about his battery experience.  He was told his battery was faulty and had to be replaced.  He was unhappy but paid.  Sorry, I forget your name, but you replied to a problem I had with my Toyota CH-R wiring and at the same time said batteries were not covered by the car warrantee.  (My problem was mice)

Same friend just took his car for a service last week (5or6000 km only) and sat back to back with a Thai lady customer in reception.  The service guy came out and spoke to her and my friend heard 'battery' whereupon the lady jumped up and said NO, NO! I do not have any problems with my battery.  My friends GF translated the exchange and it was about the need to change the battery and how the garage would not help her if she was broken down by the side of the road.  The lady basically told this guy to FO (politely) and that was that.

Later, same day, his car was ready, oil change etc. and the service mngr said he had changed the tires front to back for 'winter'.  (He had already said the rust problem was a matter for his car insurance)  He then started on about how the tires were looking worn and he should consider replacing them as they may be dangerous.  That was too much and my friend left (containing his anger).  

This does not sound like an honest garage.  First question is about paint warrantee and second is how to report them to Honda if they are a dishonest service centre?    (There was also some other 'funny stuff' about paying 1/2 for the next service and it would be free , or something but I don't remember all the details)  Any comments/solutions please?  Thank you.

• Haha 1

Regarding the rust issue, I think an email to Head Office with all the details ( copy of purchase docs etc ) and photos of the rusting would be a good place to start .

On a regular service Honda will check your battery and inform you of its status. Happened to me, I thanked them and bought another battery from a local dealer, doesn’t affect your warranty.

The service guy at Honda also offered me the “ pay xxx now and your next service will be free deal “ although I think it is only labour that’s free , you still have to pay for parts ( if I remember correctly ). It seemed like a bit of a useless deal so I declined.

21 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

Dont waste  your  time write straight to Japan Honda  , done it  before and had a  written letterb  back then  head of  Honda in Thailand contact me to come round and  apologise, incredible service, kept the letter even to this  day

I did that with a motorbike problem and Honda Japan were great. 

Have you got the number for OP.

Because I tried to contact them again sometime over a year ago and couldn't get to find any contact to Japan. 

Messages were contact your local Honda dealership. ????

12 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I did that with a motorbike problem and Honda Japan were great. 

Have you got the number for OP.

Because I tried to contact them again sometime over a year ago and couldn't get to find any contact to Japan. 

Messages were contact your local Honda dealership. ????

It was  difficult to find their address  but  after sometime I got their hq  in Japan of which there are quite  a few, I dont have the letter in the current house I am in its  in Bangkok   https://headquartersof.com/honda-headquarters-contact-information/

Edited by Rampant Rabbit
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, notrub said:

After the first month he noticed a tiny orange spot under the rear window rubber seal.  

Dealer saying battery needs replacing.

Dealer saying Tyres could be dangerous.

Sounds like a bad dealer buying a completely flooded out car cheap and passing problems on to an owner. 

Is he sure the warranty does cover bodywork problems.

Honda own batteries are guaranteed for 1 year and had experience of them failing 1 year and 1 week. ????

Outdoor replacement.

As for tyres main dealers are hoping they are always talking to mugs who will listen to them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Sounds like a bad dealer buying a completely flooded out car cheap and passing problems on to an owner. 

Is he sure the warranty does cover bodywork problems.

Honda own batteries are guaranteed for 1 year and had experience of them failing 1 year and 1 week. ????

Outdoor replacement.

As for tyres main dealers are hoping they are always talking to mugs who will listen to them.

The car is definitely new and there is not evidence of a refurbished car that had just been damaged and cleaned up. As Transam noted the car body is dipped and there may be other rust issues covered up by other body parts, trim etc..

28 minutes ago, notrub said:

The car is definitely new and there is not evidence of a refurbished car that had just been damaged and cleaned up. As Transam noted the car body is dipped and there may be other rust issues covered up by other body parts, trim etc..

Probably just a bad egg it happens. 

Has the warranty been checked for what is covered, I would of that is covered as a factory fault and should be covered by warranty. 

You have Honda's contact details for Japan so needs to contact them. 

Edited by Kwasaki

Wonder if the bodies for the Thai made ones are made here ?

Rust problems like that are most likely a result of insufficient or poorly applied anti rust coating prior to assembly, which on a unibody car means before the thousands of spot welds are made joining the panels together.