Work Permit - 2nd Place of Work

Sir Trevor

Hey Everyone,

I have been working for a private language centre with a valid WP and also added a 2nd place of work (a private university). I am now in the process of moving my main place of work from the LC to a government college. However, I am being told that because it is a government school, I cannot continue to have my 2nd place of work in my WP. I have never heard of this 'rule' and can't find anything online to confirm this.

Has anyone come across this before? Does anyone have a 2nd place of work in WP as well as working in a government institution?

I'd appreciate any feedback.

Cheers.

No such rule exists. The only rule is that you need permission from your first employer to be also employed elsewhere. In your case you will need to apply for a new work permit and thus get permission from the new school. You will also need to visit immigration if your permission to stay is based on your employment.

If it is an elementary or secondary school you will need to have a university degree and a teaching license or waiver. 

• Like 1

A friend of mine, then (and still) employed at a government school, had a 2nd job at another nearby public vocational school.  He was required to get a letter from the director of the govt. school stating "no objection", but did not get an actual written amendment to hi Work Permit.  I don't know if this constituted full compliance with the law, but it worked for him.

• Like 2

On 10/16/2021 at 9:47 AM, Preacher said:

The only rule is that you need permission from your first employer to be also employed elsewhere.

This is the rule lol. So, if they say no it's no.

If your second employer is not in your blue book that work is illegal.