How to renew expired Thai driving license

norbra

I was a similar situation two years ago. You'll need a certificate from a doc, some kind of residency certificate, fill some forms, pass the test - as mentioned above, and pay a small fee (don't remember how much).

I paid a company to take care of most of it, just arrived at Bang Chak BTS for the doctors appointment and then was taken to the DLT and directed to the right places at the right time. Whole process took around 3 hours.

Edited by shadowofacloud
  • Like 1

The real problem currently are the long queues (according to reports from Bangkok and other sites).

A guy complained that he would have to get up at 5 AM to join the "foreigner queue" (40 per day at his office).

Foreigner queue: there is an online queue/appointment website but seemingly not usable for foreigners.

Edited by KhunBENQ

26 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

The real problem currently are the long queues (according to reports from Bangkok and other sites).

A guy complained that he would have to get up at 5 AM to join the "foreigner queue" (40 per day at his office).

Foreigner queue: there is an online queue/appointment website but seemingly not usable for foreigners.

Thanks for the informative posts, unfortunately my licence expired 2 yours ago

1 minute ago, norbra said:

Thanks for the informative posts, unfortunately my licence expired 2 yours ago

In which case, at least as far as the DLT website goes, you'll need to do a theory test as well as the normal renewal requirements already mentioned.

5 minutes ago, norbra said:

I was hopeful that I would not have to do the peripheral test,last time I successfully passed by timing the applicant before me who had an OK test.

The Phuket Land Transport Office doesn't require the peripheral vision test for some reason.  I have heard that you can get a driver's license in any province in Thailand, it doesn't have to be where you live.  I'm not sure this last sentence is actually true, it just sticks in my mind having heard it a few times.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OneeyedJohn said:

Yep, get 48 out of 50 questions correct. 47 is a fail.

Has it been raised?

In 2017 for motorbike license it was 45 of 50, I passed with 47 :tongue:

(seen some Thai language sources up to this year, 45 of 50 is pass)

From the last check of the rules:

expired between one to three years: redo theory (multiple choice test) in addition to the usual.

Edited by KhunBENQ

If you have a valid foreign driver's license you shouldn't have to take the multiple choice test. You will get a 2 yr initial licence again and you apparently don't need to view the 1 the video training update. Using a local driving school next to the DLT office will get you an early place in the foreigner queue. At Banglamung they only do the color depth perception and reaction tests. Driving school will also help with medical and residency certificates 

• Thanks 1

If you're over a year ya gotta do it again from scratch as far as I can advise.

Mine was pretty easy (Phuket DLT) - in 2019.

Arrived as advised at 'sparrows' i.e. 7 a.m. to await the opening of the offices.

Got me a delicious gaffee buran prior.

Only test - was eye (I wear multifocal lenses) and reflex - They were amazed that papa had such fast reflexes too lol ????

No video to watch, no written, or computer test.

Full Aussie (riders and HC) drivers license current (and presented) at time of application for full Thai motor and bike license.

Arrived at site, copies of everything done by nice lady with tiny shop next to the license building (she knew exactly what was what and sorted in order all the copies for me too☺️).

- Copy of my then lease (not bought my home by that stage)

- copies of home country drivers license

- Copies of passport ID page

- Copies of visa page

- copies of T.M. card

- 2 white background passport sized photos (had to be white for some reason)

- I had a print out of my 'nice n clean' driving record from Australia too for good luck ????

- Copies of landlords ID card 

Can't think of anything else but may have forgotten something on the list (other OP's can add).

Into building - maybe 3rd in a queue that grew steadily behind me, given number told to sit, waited about 15 minutes, called - papers processed, return to seat over there, sat, called - take new photo (supplied some too), told to sit, called to reflex and eye test, did those, told to sit, called and handed my new license in total time less than 1 hour. All done on the same ground floor. 

It seems ease of attaining a Thai license hinges somewhat on what country you come from as to how easy it is (as far as the Phuket offices where concerned at the time of my applying) .

This was told to me by a DLT employee who spoke good English, when I thanked her and remarked on how pleasant and easy this was today, and how helpful the staff had been.

If UK, Aussie, German, Dutch license etc its relatively easy. If you come from some places deemed to not have good training and driving law systems then you get to watch videos and p.ss about a bit. 

Edited by Tropposurfer

2 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

If you're over a year ya gotta do it again form scratch as far as I can advise.

Mine was pretty easy (Phuket DLT) - in 2019.

Arrives as advised at 7 a.m. to await the opening of the offices.

Only test - was eye and reflex - They were amazed that papa had such fast reflexes too lol ????

No video to watch, no written, or computer test.

Full Aussie (riders and HC) drivers license current (and presented) at time of application for full Thai motor and bike license.

Arrived at site, copies of everything done by nice lady with tiny shop next to the license building (she knew exactly what was what and sorted in order all the copies for me too☺️).

Into building - maybe 3rd in a queue that grew steadily behind me, given number told to sit, waited about 15 minutes, called - papers processed, return to seat over there, sat, called - take new photo (supplied some too), told to sit, called to reflex and eye test, did those, told to sit, called and handed my new license in total time less than 1 hour. All done on the same ground floor. 

I depends on what country you come from as to how easy it is. This was told to me by a DLT employee who spoke good English, when I thanked her and remarked on how pleasant and easy this was today, and how helpful the staff had been.

If UK, Aussie, German, Dutch license etc its relatively easy. If you come from some places deemed to not have good training and driving law systems then you get to watch videos and p.ss about a bit. 

Australian licence expired while I was here

Just renewed mine last week, they, Bike and Car, expired over a year and a half ago, same prob had to go home, UK and stuck for a while, I came back with an IDL just in case, they didn't even look at it, the Thai licences were sufficient, no problem at all, just the docs cert, immi address, and copies of usual passport/visa etc. Had to watch a video at home for an hour with 3 questions as it progresses, easy, then turn up, take the brake and eye colour test, pay the fee, pic taken and out with two new 5 year licences, all within 25 mins. This was however not in Bankok so may be different there, really quiet here, Krabi.

• Like 2

Yeah, the1 hour video is sneaky, it stops every so often to ask u a question that u already answered at the beginning, after answereing the same question 3 times, I began to doubt myself, and changed my answer to the wrong one, about driving through a puddle. Anyway it made no difference, I passed for what it was worth.

A paper driven beaurocracy gone mad, where did they learn this way of governance.

On 10/16/2021 at 4:51 PM, OneeyedJohn said:

Yep, get 48 out of 50 questions correct. 47 is a fail.

you need to get 45/50 to pass the test - you can try 2x a day until you pass...

the problem is that there is no book w/questions and answers... I did find practice tests on line but the translations were horrible... this is a real challenge.. 

18 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

you need to get 45/50 to pass the test - you can try 2x a day until you pass...

the problem is that there is no book w/questions and answers... I did find practice tests on line but the translations were horrible... this is a real challenge.. 

Last time I rocked up with embassy letter,Australian licence and passport,did the practical tests and walked out with 5 year licence.

The funny thing is that 10 years ago a farang on a big motorbike never got stopped by the police, just lift the visor and carry on through, but then it changed and when I got stopped without a license it cost me 500 baht. So after a few occurences like this I went for my license.

10 hours ago, OneeyedJohn said:

The funny thing is that 10 years ago a farang on a big motorbike never got stopped by the police, just lift the visor and carry on through, but then it changed and when I got stopped without a license it cost me 500 baht. So after a few occurences like this I went for my license.

Whilst I had a licence I was stopped many times but never ever showed my licence

On 10/16/2021 at 5:05 PM, skatewash said:

Yes, unless you have foreign driver's licenses that are still valid.  If so, you could use those to skip the theory and practical test.  You would still have to do the normal renewal tests, reaction time braking test, color recognition test, etc.

If you still have your foreign license then get a international for your return to Thailand.

The international you can convert to a Thai after the testing mentioned above.

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...

Hello, I am in the same situation. On DLT website it says below. So I understand it is possible to Renew, you just need to take written and practical test depending on how long it's been expired. I have 5 years license, and I don't want to go back to 2 years by starting from scratch... I don't mind taking test. 

However, a company I am in contact told me that in this case it is treated as "new", so the booking will be one month later. 

I already booked renewal online. When booking it asked the expiry date, I said 2020. It let me book "renewal".

Does anyone have this experience, in Chiang Mai or somewhere else? 

https://www.dlt.go.th/en/two-year-license/

REMARK :

1. 1
    IN CASE OF DRIVING LICENCE EXPIRED MORE THAN 1 YEAR
    - TAKE A THEORY TEST
  2. 2
    IN CASE OF DRIVING LICENCE EXPIRED MORE THAN 3 YEARS
    - TAKE A THEORY TEST AND PRACTICAL TEST
Edited by chikuwa

On 10/16/2021 at 1:32 PM, Upnotover said:

I believe you have 1 year after expiry to renew without any additional requirements.

On 10/16/2021 at 4:53 PM, transam said:

You will have to start from scratch....????

Just renewed in Pattaya, motorbike expired 3 years, 11 months ago, car two years, 11 months ago. 

No problem, only reaction and colour blind test.