Are you afraid of dying?

connda

Are you afraid of dying?  

199 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

13 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

I'm more <deleted> off at the thought of dying than afraid of it.  I always want to see around the next corner.  I want to see my grandson grow up, get married, have children of his own.  I want to see what new discoveries will be made in physics, aiding our understanding of life, the universe and everything.  I want to see how it all ends.  I also agree with Christopher Hitchens that the thought that the newspapers will come out the next day, people will go about their everyday business, but I won't be around to see it, is a scarier thought than death itself. 

I was involved in a traffic accident a number of years ago and blacked out before impact, waking up in hospital with serious injuries which could very well have ended my life. Should I have died at that time, I wouldn't have known a thing about it, and certainly wouldn't have been able to care about how my loved ones in particular, and the world in general, were getting on without me in it, so I do know better than most that the actual moment of death is nothing to be afraid off, but the anticipation of it could very well be.  In short, I will not go gentle into that good night, but will rage against it.  I like to think that I did so while unconscious following my accident, which is why I'm still around today.

So..you can go in peace, knowing full well that we will never ever figure it out or solve anything. Rest assured - 

11 hours ago, ballpoint said:

In short, I will not go gentle into that good night, but will rage against it. 

Agreed - Kickin' and Screamin'

Or shot by a jealous teenage husband while climbing out the bedroom window !

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

Afraid of Any Pain, Fear or Family Grief preceding my Death.

Slow/Extended Death:Torture, Maiming, Laceration, Battering, Falling, Drowning, Fire, Freezing =Terrifying. 

Quick / Instant Death : Bullet, Explosion, Car Crash = Fearless

Join the club!

I do not want a prolonged or painful death scenario.

Prefer, as most of us would, for it to fast and efficient and painless.

Have faced my mortality twice and it was ok, except for fractured sternum after an enthusiastic resus.

15 hours ago, G Rex said:

I have had/am having a fantastic life - and I honestly have no ‘bucket list’.

As my body physically deteriorates , I may enact protocols to speed up proceedings.

Both of my parents died with dementia. I do not want to play that game.

In my working life I euthanised thousands of patients - so I have a more blasé attitude to the sanctity of life.

I am all about Quality Of Life.

Were you friends with Harold Shipman?  

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, G Rex said:

I have had/am having a fantastic life - and I honestly have no ‘bucket list’.

As my body physically deteriorates , I may enact protocols to speed up proceedings.

Both of my parents died with dementia. I do not want to play that game.

In my working life I euthanised thousands of patients - so I have a more blasé attitude to the sanctity of life.

I am all about Quality Of Life.

Where did you work - - and are they still in business... ??

Me too, - both parents had dementia and their last 10 years were very difficult for me to deal with... I would not want to inflict that on my family. 

Did your parents retain some semblance of their personality? My mom was mostly sweet and my dad was constantly difficult... as they were before D. 

• Like 1

A few years ago in Pattaya there was an old farang in his late 80s who died while getting a HE massage. The old boy's heart gave in while he was enjoying his final orgasm. That's what I call winning first prize in the lottery of death. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, ezzra said:

Die in my sleep, best outcome i can hope for...

Many years ago a very good friend of about 40 years gave up on life , I was about 2 weeks away from coming out here. His mother said as I left their house ' I wish I didn't have to wake up in the morning '.

Very sad but I know why she said that.   As for me here in 2021 ,  If dying means the same as before being born , i e knowing nothing fine , if more is yet to come , fine.    A priest asked Steven Fry who didn't believe in the hereafter ' How about meeting your parents again '  To which he replied something like ' How awful talking to them for an eternity '.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, grain said:

A few years ago in Pattaya there was an old farang in his late 80s who died while getting a HE massage. The old boy's heart gave in while he was enjoying his final orgasm. That's what I call winning first prize in the lottery of death. 

Go as you come , a great way to go , just hope if I am still here at 80 to get that happy ending.

• Like 2