Are you afraid of dying?

connda

Are you afraid of dying?  

199 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

56 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

I fear a long and painful death.

when I feel the time is right I will make it short and sweet.

100% painless, foolproof ways are easily found.

I recommend laying on a sheet of plastic and wearing a diaper - that pesky muscle relaxation thing !

7 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

Unfortunately, that's what they do - part and parcel of their base conditioned character. 

And wonder still why they remain so unhealthy - in spirit and soul.

Agree - they make lists ...

Woulda - Shoulda - Coulda ... senseless and useless

• Confused 1

23 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I'm ready for death.

Done more that I possibly imagined, nothing really left but death.

I wanna see the end of Season 17 - All star Chefs on Hells Kitchen... I don't usually watch these things, and I did not watch season 1-16.. - a cooking show, what drivel... but if I keep pace I might finish by Wednesday next week, then my wife has a doctor appt on Thursday.. then I will have to take my niece to get a vax, then next school term... surely I can work a massage in there somewhere too... 

life is mere distractions.. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, orchis said:

Off topic but could you tell me about those as I go through a very bad case right now. Thank you.

PHN - postherpetic neuralgia / neuropathic pain, and will flare up from not at all, if really lucky, or unlucky like me, and it hangs around for 5-10 to various degree of annoyance.  For myself, half way down my rib cage, from center of back around to chest, return of initial pain, but much less so, although enough to keep you away and da mn annoying.  That being the nerve it 'attacked'.  That was, unfortunately for couple years.  Then finally subsiding a few years later.  Occasionally have a minor flare up, just noticing it, and not sure what sets it off.  Just feels likes someone pushing their thumb in my side.

Would kick in mostly at night time when trying to relax.  Not noticed most of the other times of day.  Seems to be the thing with nerve 'disruption', as I've had back issues, and they only throbbed / bothered me when at rest also.

Good news for me, it was a nerve along the rib cage, although the feeling of having a heart attack would definitely freak most out.  Actually better to attack there than on the optic nerve, as couldn't image that pain, and may force someone to end the pain a bit more drastic.

I luckily had a bunch of valiums with me at the initial time, though TBH, didn't help much with the pain, but enough to eventual knock my butt out ????

I read everyone has varying degree and length (months - years - forever) discomfort.  Only plus, once having shingles, extremely rare to get again.

Hint for you mature folks, if you hear about any local kids with chicken pox, go share a meal, drink from the same glass, get coughed & sneezed on, as guessing that's a great immune booster against shingles in the future.  They do have an extremely expensive, mixed review vaccine for it.  If wanting to go that route.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Chad3000 said:

At 60. I'm sad so much of my life is behind me. Where did it go?

Having said that I feel only sadness for young people. I don't like the direction the world is taking on half a dozen levels.

It sucks being old. I will be 60 in a few years and will be happy to get there but.

Kinda depressing knowing that I could leave my loved ones in a few year, I'd say 20 at most. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

Fear of not existing is real. Nilophobia or Eternal Oblivion. Mark Twain summed this up succinctly...

"I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it."

—  Mark Twain

Thank you Mark Twain , couldn't have put it better.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

It sucks being old. I will be 60 in a few years and will be happy to get there but.

Kinda depressing knowing that I could leave my loved ones in a few year, I'd say 20 at most. 

60 ! Catch up , I am 74 . Someone said to me ' I wonder what I will be doing at 74 '. I said you may not get that far .

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

60 ! Catch up , I am 74 . Someone said to me ' I wonder what I will be doing at 74 '. I said you may not get that far .

Well done! I guess dying is more of a thought as you get nearer 80. 

I am scared more of the body failing, which seems to happen to males in my family around late 70s. 

10 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Well done! I guess dying is more of a thought as you get nearer 80. 

I am scared more of the body failing, which seems to happen to males in my family around late 70s. 

My Ma and Pa got to 90 but my dad just looked up the garden while doing the Telegraph cryptic crossword as he was too old then to do his favourite thing which was gardening , my mother had a thingy on her chest that called the doctor on pressing it. I was not there but my brother was he said she felt a bit off pressed the thingy but colapsed on the way down the drive to meet the doctor, imagine.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Zikomat said:

Yes, I am afraid to die. Life is all we have. Death does not exist : it is what we call when there is no life anymore. It is not a transition from one state to another, it is a transition from everything to nothing, from 1 to 0, something our mind is not ever able to grasp, accept or reconcile with. I try to be honest with myself and not to claim understanding or wisdom where there cannot be any.

Sounds like you described "Nirvana", the escape from samsara. Accepting Gautama's precept that "life is suffering" makes it seem good.  I like a good, deep sleep. Just not ready.

On 10/16/2021 at 1:42 PM, BritManToo said:

I'm ready for death.

Done more that I possibly imagined, nothing really left but death.

Well, yes and no.

I too have done more than I ever imagined possible. And I accept death as inevitable and have no truck with all these afterlife superstitions (which are really just a way of denying the reality of death) whatever form they take. Dead is dead, deal with it. Once you've accepted that you have no need of any kind of 'metaphysical' superstition, and life is glorious and real and intense and you are genuinely free.

My gym has the slogan 'One life, live it well'. I try.

If it was to happen now, just about to retire and still young and fit enough to do a lot more, then I'd be very urinated to put it mildly. But I suppose I'd adapt to that like I've adapted to a couple of other major changes in life - maybe not, who knows. I have the advantage of having known several people who came to terms with an early death and they did it well and with dignity, serenity and even happiness.

In the end I'm more concerned about the manner of my demise.

Edited by BusyB
  • Like 2

On 10/16/2021 at 2:05 PM, 473geo said:

I am hoping by the time I arrive at death it will come as a release rather than some desperate need to cling on to life 

Yeah, that's mine too. Sort of 'Hey folks it's been a great ride, but I really am tired and it's all getting to be a bit much. Time for sleep now'.

23 hours ago, CharlieH said:

If you think about we die every night, hence the expression "dead to the world" only difference is whetherr you wake up in the morning.????

I hope I dont drag on, watching the body fall apart, ever increasing restrictions and possibility of losing functions and mental capacity, possibly a burden to others.. That to me and I think most people would be the nightmare.

My Dad died at 94 in his sleep, great way to go but I really dont want to go on that long.

Oh, I don't know. If I'm still on my feet and up to a reasonable quality of life, I'll always be curious to see what comes next. Imagine dying just before Apollo 11, or the fall of the Wall. But I doubt I'll make 94. I'd be happy with 85 in reasonable shape. Anything more is gravy.

But falling apart and dependent on carers to wipe my backside, with only the TV to go adventuring on then I think I'd rather top myself.

I think Dante said something on the lines of the pains of the death bed making all the triumphs of a life as worthless, because all you have at that moment is the pain and the knowledge it won't get any better - only worse. And those triumphs and their associated emotions are long long gone.

Edited by BusyB
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, inThailand said:

Are you afraid of dying?

If I was, I wouldn't be driving a motorcycle here. 

Death no.

I am scared of being quadriplegic ... those things are an occasional necessity in LOS, otherwise I avoid them.

(I can fly and dive - much safer)

I have to much to live for, therefore fear of dying.

Eventually we will all die, it's a given, but I will never be ready, having worked my rear off all of my life, saving & suffering and having watched mates, younger than most pass early, family members pass early, and me almost passing early, you can say that was my wake up call, I can't get enough of life.

Waking up every morning is a new day, a new beginning and I want to breath in all of that fresh free air as I awake just before dawn, besides I still have a couple of dozen young fillies to take before I go.

But when I do go, not waking up would be my preference.

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 2

On 10/16/2021 at 2:26 PM, Zikomat said:

Yes, I am afraid to die. Life is all we have. Death does not exist : it is what we call when there is no life anymore. It is not a transition from one state to another, it is a transition from everything to nothing, from 1 to 0, something our mind is not ever able to grasp, accept or reconcile with. I try to be honest with myself and not to claim understanding or wisdom where there cannot be any.

Most people find it too much of a horror to go from 1 to 0. = 0 being absolute "nothingness".

That's why we had to invent "Religions". The most successful Religions are the ones that offer some "afterlife/rebirth". Other Religions, not offering this, have not been very successful in the marketplace of "Religions".

Therefore, Religions are a blessing, giving hope to a majority of people, that "something better" is awaiting us. Without this promess, the thin varnish of civilisation would have been torn apart by the centrifugal forces of daily life for humans a long time ago.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Inala said:

That's interesting, how old are you?

I am 69. I have lived longer in years than my Father and older brothers and at this time am in relatively good  non medicated health but increasingly aware of the physical deterioration that is inevitable. My Mother lived to the age of 93. My father died as the result of a  cerebral hemorrhage, oldest brother from a sudden massive heart seizure, second older brother from sudden onset of rapid dementia, and my Mother from a pancreatic infection.

So in essence I have no consistent familial record to refer to in expectation of cause of death.

I enjoy life while I am am able to participate in it productively.

• Like 2