Are you afraid of dying?

connda

Are you afraid of dying?  

199 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

10 hours ago, steven100 said:

I'm not sure ......    when the doors are lit bright, which I did see in my sleep sometimes, I have to accept and walk through them.

All my relatives are gone and most friends are gone so it's very very close to the end for me.

I've always had the impression that you're a younger sort of guy? But this post makes it sound like you're at death's door. Funny how social media conveys sometimes very inaccurate impressions.

Do you have any kids? This would be a fear of mine also, to be the last man standing and have no family or friends left. A lonely death.    

9 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I have to much to live for, therefore fear of dying.

Eventually we will all die, it's a given, but I will never be ready, having worked my rear off all of my life, saving & suffering and having watched mates, younger than most pass early, family members pass early, and me almost passing early, you can say that was my wake up call, I can't get enough of life.

Waking up every morning is a new day, a new beginning and I want to breath in all of that fresh free air as I awake just before dawn, besides I still have a couple of dozen young fillies to take before I go.

But when I do go, not waking up would be my preference.

What was your near death experience?

48 minutes ago, Inala said:

I've always had the impression that you're a younger sort of guy? But this post makes it sound like you're at death's door. Funny how social media conveys sometimes very inaccurate impressions.

Do you have any kids? This would be a fear of mine also, to be the last man standing and have no family or friends left. A lonely death.    

Alone does not have to equal lonely.

We come into the world with nothing, and leave the same way.

Edited by RJRS1301
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Inala said:

no, no kids. no one.

• Sad 1

the question is dying......not to be dead.... Being dead does not afraid me , but the way you go.. I have seen many people dying of cancer with a lot of pain and suffering or Alzheimer totally lived out, That is not the way I want to go. I choose for quality of life ....dying in my sleep a heartattack, or something.... just suddenly gone...I am a bit curious with will be hereafter,,,,

Edited by ikke1959

1 hour ago, RJRS1301 said:

Alone does not have to equal lonely.

We come into the world with nothing, and leave the same way.

True enough. I just need the company of people. That's why I can't be one of those guys that have the revolving door of women, I did it for a few years but in the end I needed a deeper connection than what I could get out of my rented girls. 

• Like 1

"Death is nature's way of telling you to slow down." (Woody Allen)

No, I don't fear it. I'm a Raymond Chandler fan, so death is only 'The Big Sleep'.

'Where did it matter where you lay once you were dead? in a dirty sump or in a marble tower on top of a high hill? You were dead, you were sleeping the big sleep, you were not bothered by things like that...not caring about the nastiness of how you died or where you fell.'

But, like so many others here, I fear the pain. Dad went through terrible years of cancer. I am not that brave. His father had an inoperable brain tumour and drowned himself. I saw how upset Dad was at the time, BUT I have no close family. Euthanasia is the answer if I am terminally ill, even if I have to travel to Europe for it.

'And you, my father, there on the sad height,

Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.

Do not go gentle into that good night.

Rage, rage, against the dying of the light.'

I think I'm a bit less concerned about it than Dylan Thomas!

• Thanks 1

Not afraid of death so much.  More afraid of the long slow ride before arriving at deaths doorstep.  My father slipped into dementia/alzheimer's in his 80's and passed away at age 93.  His last 6-7 years of life were not that good.  Despite having two double heart bypasses in his late 70's and diabetes, it was the big A that finally took it's toll.  

My Thai wife passed away from brain cancer but never suffered as when she was diagnosed it was already too late.  Passed away some two weeks after first being diagnosed.  My Mom was a pillar of health until diagnosed with bladder cancer.  She passed away less than five months later at age 88.  

I'm probably more concerned about getting the big "C" and not being able to live my life as I would like.  

3 hours ago, Inala said:

Bloody hell! That would've been frightening.

When you have a sever crushing pain smack right in the middle of your chest, can't breath and just when you think it has stopped and you gasp for air, then back it comes, turning it up a notch, yep, absolutely frightening, you know there and then something is definitely not right, painful and unless you get to hospital a$$-up as I did, just around the corner, leaving the car in the middle of the street at midnight....you will more than likely die waiting for an ambulance.

The thing I learnt most from this experience was that there was no need for me to rush anymore, so I haven't had sex 4 times in one day since, I now have it 4 times a week....lol ????

True story.

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, Inala said:

That's interesting, how old are you?

I don't know how old he is but I doubt any young man with all the possibilities of life to come wants to off himself, unless his life is really bad.

It's different when the only thing to look forward to is ill health, pain and suffering, and the only good things in life are memories.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Inala said:

These days, having kids does not mean they care. Elder abuse is most often from family, apparently.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Inala said:

Bloody hell! That would've been frightening.

Perhaps not.  My best friend died of a massive heart attack in his late 40s.
6 foot 4, strong looking guy, a biker though not affiliated with a gang.
My friend looked like he should live forever.
Walked out of church one Sunday with his wife, and dropped like a sack of potatoes.

I don't see that as 'frightening.' 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

These days, having kids does not mean they care. Elder abuse is most often from family, apparently.

True. Although from my own personal experience I see my sisters looking after my very elderly mum and they do a fantastic job.

On 10/17/2021 at 11:55 AM, 1FinickyOne said:

that's my dream too... maybe a month in a lovely resort w/all things peaceful... and fine. A gradual increase of some sort of sleeping med and pain killers and to fade away in lovely dreams... we should be able to accomplish that as a society... right? 

Yes. It frustrates me that humans keep terminally ill people going so long, suffering and in pain...sometimes for years...bedridden and semi conscious on medications...with no hope of recovery. 

All that suffering and heartache for the patient as well and their family and friends.  

Yet, if we were to do that to our pet dog or cat we would be accused of being selfish and of animal cruelty....and rightly so.

So in that case we treat animals better than ourselves. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Yes. It frustrates me that humans keep terminally ill people going so long, suffering and in pain...sometimes for years...bedridden and semi conscious on medications...with no hope of recovery. 

All that suffering and heartache for the patient as well and their family and friends.  

Yet, if we were to do that to our pet dog or cat we would be accused of being selfish and of animal cruelty....and rightly so.

So in that case we treat animals better than ourselves. 

when my parents were in a home w/dementia, alz wing, we spoke to one of the doctors... he said it gets difficult as half the family members think as we do and the other half are hysterical - don't let granny go!

I did have these haunting nightmares that they were well again and had just had some bad meds... 

I have heard that on average, in USA, the last 6 months of a life average out to $500,000 per person in medical costs... I know this can't be enacted but how much better would your entire life had been if you were given that $500k when you were in your 20s rather than at age 95? 

You could have started a business or bought a home - etc etc...

• Like 1

16 hours ago, swissie said:

Most people find it too much of a horror to go from 1 to 0. = 0 being absolute "nothingness".

That's why we had to invent "Religions". The most successful Religions are the ones that offer some "afterlife/rebirth". Other Religions, not offering this, have not been very successful in the marketplace of "Religions".

Therefore, Religions are a blessing, giving hope to a majority of people, that "something better" is awaiting us. Without this promess, the thin varnish of civilisation would have been torn apart by the centrifugal forces of daily life for humans a long time ago.

Opium is bad for people whatever form it comes in, because it tricks people into believing things which aren't true.

Not many people would be willing to die for some spurious god if they knew there's no such thing as heaven and your only real choice is heaven or hell - on Earth.

Most would tell the hate sellers to get lost.

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I don't know how old he is but I doubt any young man with all the possibilities of life to come wants to off himself, unless his life is really bad.

It's different when the only thing to look forward to is ill health, pain and suffering, and the only good things in life are memories.

Or unless s/he's been brainwashed into thinking they'll go to 'heaven'.

1 hour ago, BusyB said:

Opium is bad for people whatever form it comes in, because it tricks people into believing things which aren't true.

Not many people would be willing to die for some spurious god if they knew there's no such thing as heaven and your only real choice is heaven or hell - on Earth.

Most would tell the hate sellers to get lost.

So I am assuming, you have never had pre=or post operative pain relief under medical supervision.

No had any other medication, which will interact with your synapses, neuroreceptors , including alcohol.

• Like 1

Natural opiates are the best analgesic found in the world so far.

No side effects, stable, dosage well understood.

Downside is risk of physical addiction if taken for a prolonged interval. But this is understood and easily countered.

If you have ever had serious injury you would be aware of this fact.

They don't call it Sister Mary for nuttin'

67% liars ! hahahaha

All the "real men" have rushed to vaccinate like cattle, even traveling different provinces or countries, and then they pretend that they do not fear death ! hahahaha, you are lucky to live in Thailand, as nowhere in the developed world you would be considered as men !

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

when my parents were in a home w/dementia, alz wing, we spoke to one of the doctors... he said it gets difficult as half the family members think as we do and the other half are hysterical - don't let granny go!

I did have these haunting nightmares that they were well again and had just had some bad meds... 

I have heard that on average, in USA, the last 6 months of a life average out to $500,000 per person in medical costs... I know this can't be enacted but how much better would your entire life had been if you were given that $500k when you were in your 20s rather than at age 95? 

You could have started a business or bought a home - etc etc...

I think money is the real reason governments want to keep euthanasia illegal.  

Care homes, private hospitals and the like all make big money from 'care' and keeping their patients alive as long as they can. 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1