Spending European winter in Thailand

Me and my wife are looking to come back to Thailand for 4 to 6 months (more likely 6 months) in December '21, winters in Poland don't do anyone good. We have been looking at the STV but we don't have a set plan for accommodation yet. Which visa would be the best option for us?

Double entry tourist visa with border run used to be our go to option but looks like that's not an option atm.

Any advices on how to get around the accommodation reservation or should this be planned out in advance? 

Happy to hear from the experts 

9 minutes ago, JeanVDB22 said:

Double entry tourist visa with border run used to be our go to option but looks like that's not an option atm.

Double entry tourist visa is long gone. Have you checked if you can get a multi entry tourist visa on the evisa site? https://thaievisa.go.th/

I just got one of those in Denmark. Much easier to get than the STV and cheaper too.

• Thanks 1

The STV would be a good option since it allows a total stay of 270 days without with having to leave the country.

I looked on the Thai embassy in Warsaw but could not find the requirements for the STV.

I suggest you contact them about your visa. See: https://warsaw.thaiembassy.org/pl/page/25701-adres?menu=5d7e827b15e39c3ac0008bbe

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, farang51 said:

Double entry tourist visa is long gone. Have you checked if you can get a multi entry tourist visa on the evisa site? https://thaievisa.go.th/

I just got one of those in Denmark. Much easier to get than the STV and cheaper too.

The embassy in Warsaw does not appear to be using the e visa website. It is not mentioned on their website.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The STV would be a good option since it allows a total stay of 270 days without with having to leave the country.

I looked on the Thai embassy in Warsaw but could not find the requirements for the STV.

I suggest you contact them about your visa. See: https://warsaw.thaiembassy.org/pl/page/25701-adres?menu=5d7e827b15e39c3ac0008bbe

What is the STV ubonjoe ?

34 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The embassy in Warsaw does not appear to be using the e visa website. It is not mentioned on their website.

My bad, I should have checked. It appears that they do offer the multi entry tourist visa:

https://warsaw.thaiembassy.org/en/page/69321-visa?menu=5d7e827b15e39c3ac0008b9d

@JeanVDB22 when you mentioned that the tourist visa does not seem to be an option, did you mean because it may be a problem to do a visa run? It may not be possible to do a visa run using a land based border; but come January, it should not be a problem to do a visa run by air. That is what I plan on doing if a land based visa run is not possible.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, BE88 said:

The Thailand Special Tourist Visa (STV) holders can enter Thailand starting on October 1, 2020 until September 30, 2021.  

Out of date info on a unofficial website set up by a law firm. It has been extended to September of 2022.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Thanks ubonjoe, I also thought the STV would be the way to go, it's just the pre-booked accommodation proof that messes with our plan of spontaneously travelling around the country. 

2 hours ago, farang51 said:

My bad, I should have checked. It appears that they do offer the multi entry tourist visa:

https://warsaw.thaiembassy.org/en/page/69321-visa?menu=5d7e827b15e39c3ac0008b9d

@JeanVDB22 when you mentioned that the tourist visa does not seem to be an option, did you mean because it may be a problem to do a visa run? It may not be possible to do a visa run using a land based border; but come January, it should not be a problem to do a visa run by air. That is what I plan on doing if a land based visa run is not possible.

Exactly the uncertainty of not being able to do a border run makes me think that I'll have to leave after 3 months, but if visa run by air is do able, that would be something to consider. Thanks @farang51

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

No evisa option for us. We can apply gor a 60 day TRV and extend with 30 in TH but still only gives us a 'certain' 3 month stay. 

4 hours ago, JeanVDB22 said:

No evisa option for us. We can apply gor a 60 day TRV and extend with 30 in TH but still only gives us a 'certain' 3 month stay. 

You should be able to get a second SETV, but will have to leave Thailand.  Maybe just plan your vacation around that, such as a trip to Cambodia or some other place, get the SETV then back into Thailand.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, JeanVDB22 said:

Not the best visa IMO as it can't be changed in Thailand (given we are looking like we're almost getting on top of Covid there should be options for visa runs by the time you'd need one) but STV with bookings on Agoda that can be cancelled (you only need to book 90 days not the whole 9 months).

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, gk10012001 said:

You should be able to get a second SETV, but will have to leave Thailand.  Maybe just plan your vacation around that, such as a trip to Cambodia or some other place, get the SETV then back into Thailand.

At this time that is not possible unless you apply for a visa at a Cambodian embassy or consulate and do a quarantine when entering.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

At this time that is not possible unless you apply for a visa at a Cambodian embassy or consulate and do a quarantine when entering.

Understood.  I just gave Cambodia as an example.  There are other more friendly arriving countries in the region that may be better and may be doable three months from now.

19 hours ago, JeanVDB22 said:

We have been looking at the STV but we don't have a set plan for accommodation yet. Which visa would be the best option for us?

If the Thai embassy in Poland offers STV, then that will be your best option without the need to leave- and re-enter the kingdom...????

• Thanks 1