Currently doing 10 days in quarantine in Pattay.

Mike KIWI

2 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

Any luck on Thaifriendly?

signed up and got about 30 messages in about an hour. possibly just girls paid to send out messages but not a single one was hot enough to barfine, let alone pay the subscription fee to read their messages.

1 hour ago, The Hammer2021 said:

No. The issue is people congregating in groups around the pool not a actually swimming. Anyway, how many people are at the hotel?

hard to tell how many people are here as we are all confined to our rooms. have seen 4 other rooms occupied from people being on the balconies. i doubt many people are willing to pay the 56000thb fee,

On 10/19/2021 at 3:18 PM, Mike KIWI said:

Tropicana

The Tropicana?

That place is ancient.  Post some pictures.

Hang in there buddy!

Once you're out there is plenty of trim walking along the beach road making the wait well worth it!

Plus you can move into a nicer hotel to boot.

• Like 1

I did my 10 days at the Tropicana too, back in April. All things considered, it was not that bad. I ended up staying 90 days, so it was worth it. I usually have awful jet lag the 1st week or so anyways, so I didn't mind crashing and resting. Rooms are small though. Wifi connection was fine. Balcony was nice. We weren't allowed to use the pool at any time. My only complaint would be the food. The food itself was OK, although carb heavy. Unless you're a 90 lb. woman, you'll find the portion sizes laughable. I ended up ordering extras to make up for the daily calorie deficit. I was chronically hungry, and lost 8 lbs. while there. And I was slim to begin with (5'11", 168). I'll bring a few boxes of protein bars next time. If there's a next time. 

Edited by Travis179
typo

3 hours ago, Leonard Desharnais said:

Curious. With Phuket open and cheap hotels, why would you pick quarantine in Pattaya? I stayed in Phuket in September and had a blast.

If the criteria was simply having a blast, Pattaya does it cheaper and better. Well it did, pre Covid....

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Leonard Desharnais said:

Curious. With Phuket open and cheap hotels, why would you pick quarantine in Pattaya? I stayed in Phuket in September and had a blast.

I did sandbox, Phuket in September did we meet for a beer on soi Nanai.

On 10/19/2021 at 11:24 AM, Mike KIWI said:

Ha, good idea. Cant get my smart phone to connect to the wifi. Any of them work on a laptop?

Have you considered installing Bluestack on your laptop.

It's an Android emulator that let you run Android apps on your laptop.

19 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

The Tropicana?

That place is ancient.  Post some pictures.

Hang in there buddy!

Once you're out there is plenty of trim walking along the beach road making the wait well worth it!

Plus you can move into a nicer hotel to boot.

day 5 and still going strong. place is a bit run down but the food is ok. Better here than in New Zealand where the lockdowns will go for months. Here is a photo of my new room mate.

IMG10363.jpg

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Leonard Desharnais said:

I lived in Pattaya for 10 days and its convenient as i want to catch up with a few people and collect a pickup who is moving back to England before I head up to esan. Might head down to Phuket for high season if things open up. 

12 hours ago, Travis179 said:

I did my 10 days at the Tropicana too, back in April. All things considered, it was not that bad. I ended up staying 90 days, so it was worth it. I usually have awful jet lag the 1st week or so anyways, so I didn't mind crashing and resting. Rooms are small though. Wifi connection was fine. Balcony was nice. We weren't allowed to use the pool at any time. My only complaint would be the food. The food itself was OK, although carb heavy. Unless you're a 90 lb. woman, you'll find the portion sizes laughable. I ended up ordering extras to make up for the daily calorie deficit. I was chronically hungry, and lost 8 lbs. while there. And I was slim to begin with (5'11", 168). I'll bring a few boxes of protein bars next time. If there's a next time. 

Seems they have upped the portion sizes. Pretty sure I am putting on weight. They said we get an exercise bike in the rooms but maybe that was on an upgraded package. Order in menu looks ok but i havent used it yet. 5200thb per night is a bit more than I like to pay for accommodation. even though my son has a Thai passport he got charged foreigner prices which was a bit annoying.  He does not have a Thai ID card yet.

• Like 1

On 10/20/2021 at 5:49 PM, Mike KIWI said:

Now that you say it I have not seen anyone using the pool in the 4 days i have been here. chlorine might be a super spreader? 

I never left my room in the time I was there other than for the PCR, and they did that in the room across the corridor from me.

I saw one room in the Hotel J next door being cleaned with the cleaners in full PPE, stark reminder of why they have quarantine.

12 minutes ago, sandyf said:

I never left my room in the time I was there other than for the PCR, and they did that in the room across the corridor from me.

I saw one room in the Hotel J next door being cleaned with the cleaners in full PPE, stark reminder of why they have quarantine.

I came from the South Island of NZ. Zero cases there. Loads in Thailand. I wonder what happens if I catch the virus while I am in quarantine. Another 10 days I guess.

10 minutes ago, Mike KIWI said:

I came from the South Island of NZ. Zero cases there. Loads in Thailand. I wonder what happens if I catch the virus while I am in quarantine. Another 10 days I guess.

I think you would be shipped off to a hospital, what the insurance is for.

On 10/21/2021 at 2:43 AM, Mike KIWI said:

Seems they have upped the portion sizes. Pretty sure I am putting on weight. They said we get an exercise bike in the rooms but maybe that was on an upgraded package. Order in menu looks ok but i havent used it yet. 5200thb per night is a bit more than I like to pay for accommodation. even though my son has a Thai passport he got charged foreigner prices which was a bit annoying.  He does not have a Thai ID card yet.

Yes, sounds like you may have a different package. I remember ordering a club sandwich for lunch one day. When it arrived I had to laugh. I could fit the entire sandwich in the palm of my hand. I was hungry again a few hours later. The whole ASQ thing is a major scam. I forget the total cost, I think it was about $1,000 for 10 days (30,000 baht?). After I left the ASQ, I moved to a beautiful, serviced apartment, new building, near the beach, it was only 8000 baht for an entire month (plus utilities). 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Travis179 said:

The whole ASQ thing is a major scam. I forget the total cost, I think it was about $1,000 for 10 days (30,000 baht?).

I think people have a wide variance on the definition of "major scam" dependant on their normal lifestyle. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Salerno said:

I think people have a wide variance on the definition of "major scam" dependant on their normal lifestyle. 

True enough. I meant "scam" comparatively speaking. That is, the cost of 10 days at a run down hotel with sketchy service, and subpar food. Versus a non-ASQ setting where the free market determines the cost. Few would consider most ASQ's reasonably priced. But just my .2c, I respect differing viewpoints. Cheers! 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Travis179 said:

True enough. I meant "scam" comparatively speaking. That is, the cost of 10 days at a run down hotel with sketchy service, and subpar food. Versus a non-ASQ setting where the free market determines the cost. Few would consider most ASQ's reasonably priced. But just my .2c, I respect differing viewpoints. Cheers! 

I saw some pics of the food people were getting in UK quarantine, that was not so great and costing more. Be glad when this scam/rip-off is done with. It is going to hurt stopping this, along with the obligatory insurance money spinner. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Travis179 said:

Yes, sounds like you may have a different package. I remember ordering a club sandwich for lunch one day. When it arrived I had to laugh. I could fit the entire sandwich in the palm of my hand. I was hungry again a few hours later. The whole ASQ thing is a major scam. I forget the total cost, I think it was about $1,000 for 10 days (30,000 baht?). After I left the ASQ, I moved to a beautiful, serviced apartment, new building, near the beach, it was only 8000 baht for an entire month (plus utilities). 

I am paying 5200thb per day for me and my son so 3000thb per days souns about right. i bet the whole thing is corrupt with kickbacks going everywhere. Just had the club sandwiches. 2 tripple deckers with fries, not my first choice fore breakfast but i am not complaining. my son says we are living the dream as he does not have to go to school.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mike KIWI said:

Less than 2% of cases require hospitalization.  Doubt it would be necessary.

It is not about requiring hospitalisation, if tested positive the hotel want you out. The hospital would be the one tied to the hotel which should be in your quarantine handbook.

During your stay, your package includes two Covid-19 swab tests, on days 5 and 13. Should either test return positive, World Medical Hospital staff will provide special transportation directly from the hotel to the hospital where you will be monitored under close supervision. Please note that while the tests are included, other health expenses are not covered. Should you test positive on Day 0 test, the hotel will refund 70% of your package price, and 60% should you test positive on your Day 5 test.

http://www.thesukosol.com/asq-frequently-asked-questions/

1 minute ago, sandyf said:

It is not about requiring hospitalisation, if tested positive the hotel want you out. The hospital would be the one tied to the hotel which should be in your quarantine handbook.

During your stay, your package includes two Covid-19 swab tests, on days 5 and 13. Should either test return positive, World Medical Hospital staff will provide special transportation directly from the hotel to the hospital where you will be monitored under close supervision. Please note that while the tests are included, other health expenses are not covered. Should you test positive on Day 0 test, the hotel will refund 70% of your package price, and 60% should you test positive on your Day 5 test.

http://www.thesukosol.com/asq-frequently-asked-questions/

dam, with thousands of cases in the community that seems like a waste of resources. My home country of NZ has finally started letting positive cases quarantine at home. Many people dont even have symptoms let alone needing hospital care.

• Like 2