Banks to return money to cardholders who encounter recent irregular transactions

snoop1130

48 minutes ago, roquefort said:

As I said above, my bank (Bangkok Bank) did flag these transactions and refunded them automatically.

This was *after* it made the news, right? What I mean is that their automatic fraud detection system should have noticed the unusual activity and at a minimum brought it to the attention of a human. But difficult to say without more information about what actually happened here, it does happen that hackers find a new method to abuse the system.

But from what I have heard, trying to do small charges on a large number of cards is common when somebody wants to “clean” a list of leaked card numbers, and the challenge (for the hackers) is to find a channel where they can actually do this, without the system flagging them as suspect.

49 minutes ago, Blumpie said:

Speaking of which, can you really pull all your money out?  I wonder how many hoops they would put you through.  Maybe none but I do wonder. 

Out of the bank? Of course you can. I am surprised someone would even ask this, but for the records, I have closed accounts with several banks (and thus, taken out all the money), no problem what so ever.

Maybe if you have 100M they will ask what they can do to keep you as a customer, but I don’t think the staff in the branch care much about this, they get their salary regardless of you leaving or not.

12 minutes ago, lkn said:

This was *after* it made the news, right? What I mean is that their automatic fraud detection system should have noticed the unusual activity and at a minimum brought it to the attention of a human.

Well no, it wasn't. This was back in September before it even made headline news. The automatic fraud detection must have noticed it, as it was refunded very quickly without my even knowing it had happened.

• Like 1

On 10/20/2021 at 5:19 PM, roquefort said:

In my case the bank's system did pick up the fraudulent transactions (all under 100 baht) and automatically refunded them with 2-3 days. Except for one larger amount (over 2,000 baht) which is under investigation.

A pity their system did not simply block them before they happened, but otherwise good news. Some programmer thinking over 100 baht was a matter  needing scrutiny, but 1000x99baht within 2 minutes was normal usage.