Is This Thailand Post Email A Scam?

JetsetBkk

1 minute ago, CharlieH said:

It seems a coincidence that 34.16 is the EXACT amount featured in the recent bank account hacks .

Really? I didn't hear about that!

Edit: Have you got a link? ????

Edited by JetsetBkk
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, CharlieH said:

This  originally broke on the forum with an amount like your here ;

Wow! Thanks Charlie. Could change the title to "Email and SMS Alert"! ????

Obviously I didn't fill in my card details, but I wonder if the email could be of use to anyone investigating the scam?

3 minutes ago, JetsetBkk said:

Obviously I didn't fill in my card details, but I wonder if the email could be of use to anyone investigating the scam?

If you feel inclined take it to the nearest Police station.As it has been featured in the Media etc it may be helpful.

The Post Office would also be a good choice.

• Like 1

Take it to the Police who will be able to do - well, nothing probably! After all if they cannot after 6 years get the on-line 90 day Report working you can bet your last s'tang they aren't going to track down the originator of this scam without some pretty smart outside agency's help.

Shame you can't get the Americans tracking it down as they almost certainly have the expertise, or maybe the Japanese or even Koreans but Thais? Highly unlikely! This is probably some of those Russian Mafia sorts from Pattaya who are so clever at this sort of activity.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, CharlieH said:
12 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

12 hours ago, CharlieH said:

If you feel inclined take it to the nearest Police station.As it has been featured in the Media etc it may be helpful.

The Post Office would also be a good choice.

It's too much of a coincidence to ignore isn't it. If you feel that you want to be helpful @JetsetBkk I'd suggest you find a way of getting to the attention of the banking system, but not as a printout. They would need it in its original digital format for it to be of use to them.

Sorry but I can't help with an email address.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

It's too much of a coincidence to ignore isn't it. If you feel that you want to be helpful @JetsetBkk I'd suggest you find a way of getting to the attention of the banking system, but not as a printout. They would need it in its original digital format for it to be of use to them.

Sorry but I can't help with an email address.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I could forward the original email to whoever was investigation this "phishing" scam. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

I've gotten several of these "Thailand Post" e-mails but always ignored them.  It never made any sense that they would have my e-mail address when I've never given it to the Post Office.  I wonder if this is how some people got fleeced. 

Exactly - I think some of the people who complained about losing money need to think back to when they (or their spouse) filled in their debit card details - including the CVV - in response to an email stating that they owed money.

Yeah, I've had them too, and one from Kasikorn asking me to validate my account details. Since I've never banked with them, that one was easy to spot. The message header may say something like "Thailand Post" or whatever, but when you check the actual address it came from it will be something like [email protected], or [email protected], so it's easy to tell that it's a fake.

• Like 1

It's best not to click on links in messages/emails that you get.

If you want to find out if it is legitimate go directly to the site yourself, not through the link.

You might want to show this at the local post office or police station.  They might investigate it.

17 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

By the way, this email was sent to my old Hotmail account which I rarely use now.

I suppose I could print it out and take it to the post office in Rawai and ask them if this is a scam!

What do you think?

If I receive an email like this and I haven't a clue what it's about or where it's from I flag it as spam & block it.

I don't click it to see what it's all about.

You're inviting spam/hackers if you do.

• Like 2

Clicking on suspicious links that are attached or embedded in an email is dangerous.

It can infect your Computer or mobile with a virus or possibly ransomware.  Also, in most cases it will re-direct you to another fake site where the fraudsters will require your details and bank information.

Never open mail that you are not aware of or that looks suspicious in the heading.  Just delete them,  or better still have them put as junk mail or spam so your email blocks them in future.

Edited by steven100
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, JustAnotherHun said:

It's not very smart toopen links in mails from unknown senders. 

One way to check is right click over the link, choose the copy link address option and paste it into notepad or some similar offline program.

Then you can examine the address without going to it.

Generally I would expect a genuine thai post page to have 'thaipost' somewhere in the link address, if not, better to take the cautious approach and suspect it is a scam.!

As 10k others may have found that out recently.!

Definitely a scam

The post doesnt know your email address

The post doesnt ask your card info through unsollicited emails

And yeah it is somewehere in Salvador.

What I do with these kind of emails is:

I go to www.samedyfreeday.co.uk

There i fill in their email address

and within 5 minutes they receive 8000 spam emails

I just vuck them back

spam them

• Thanks 1