Is This Thailand Post Email A Scam?

JetsetBkk

The 3 scams I have experienced recently are 

Latest IPhone for 1$- I did stupidly fill in a credit card form but MasterCard picked this up themselves and blocked it 

Malware alert piping up every few minutes saying you have a virus your phone will be locked download software which I didn't as I have 2 virus blockers on my phone so I spent several days playing whack a mole with them till they stopped 

A courier allied to customs adding additional charges to an imported item which I told them to return to sender. Again MasterCard came up trump's and refunded all payments 

I have now frozen all cards or reduced transactions to nil to keep a better control on scams

20 hours ago, cliveshep said:

Take it to the Police who will be able to do - well, nothing probably! After all if they cannot after 6 years get the on-line 90 day Report working you can bet your last s'tang they aren't going to track down the originator of this scam without some pretty smart outside agency's help.

Shame you can't get the Americans tracking it down as they almost certainly have the expertise, or maybe the Japanese or even Koreans but Thais? Highly unlikely! This is probably some of those Russian Mafia sorts from Pattaya who are so clever at this sort of activity.

nsa_tshirt1.jpg

• Haha 1

There asking for 36.14 baht.

Roughly the same amount thats being reported being taken from thousands of Thai bank accounts.

Unless you know the sender I would avoid opening any links in the email.

Make a copy and bring it to your local Post Office.

Bring someone who speaks Thai.

Check your bank account for any suspicious withdrawals.

5 hours ago, millymoopoo said:

One way to check is right click over the link, choose the copy link address option and paste it into notepad or some similar offline program.

Then you can examine the address without going to it.

This is what I did with the first one about a month ago. Persistent little beggars sent me two more. 

I spoke to my local ( Banphai Khon Kaen ) post office manager and he stated firmly that the post office never contacts someone by email asking for payment for a parcel etc.
I had similar emails to one of my accounts, I opened one of the emails and showed the PO manager, it IS a scam.  
Blacklist the email site and don't open any more.

Report to your local PO although there is little they can do.

• Thanks 1

".sv" in the link, El Salvador

That would be the point for me to swipe to the bin.

It's an elaborate pishing attempt but also the "thailandpost" links are not genuine.

I would not bother post office with it.

It's a cyber crime affair and Thai post itself can't do much except warn.

With the already many thousand victims just dump and forget.

Check your account and be happy if no unusual activity.

Thanks for showing your experience.

Just today paid for a domestic ticket via online banking (1130 Baht).

As usual being directed to banks login site and have to enter an 8 digit OTP received as SMS on the smartphone.

Wonder how they managed this fraud. Is it for the low amounts deducted?

I just won 40000 Euro in the lottery and Angel is waiting for me :cheesy:

Edited by KhunBENQ

• 1 year later...