Thailand to allow quarantine-free travel from 46 countries, PM says

webfact

4 minutes ago, sandyf said:

I have a house in Chonburi and it was 15 days when I applied to return on 21st Sept, significant improvement in a short time.

What you want and what you get are never the same but feel free to keep on whinging.

No one's whingeing.

You have a house in Thailand, go back to your house.

99.9% of "tourists", understand "tourists"?

aren't going to come.

What does 20% of Thailand's GDP depend on?

Yes, you guessed it "tourism".

That means slowly but surely the tourist areas of Thailand are going to fail big time.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, WEBBYB808 said:

Will alcohol  be sold in bars and restaurants?

The curfew will be cancelled in the 17 opening Provinces but alcohol still cannot be served, although 17 provinces in the pilot tourism area can apply to ease some restrictions. For example, authorities on Koh Tao are creating their own Covid-19 Free Zone where restaurants can apply for permission to serve alcohol. Expect other areas to do the same. Via tweets R.B.

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

Not quite, it needs to be in an SHA+ or AQ hotel.

Sure some of the hotels are quite cheap.

But to me there's another issue. I need to fly into swampy then do a domestic flight to my family/family home in Chiang Mai.

Whilst there's all this backwards and forwards about the 1 night hotel stay / can't move until receive NEGATIVE report, I'm not game to make a domestic flight booking.

For tourists it's the same plus many will probably have a confirmed hotel booking in Pattaya, Khon Kaen, Sth. of Thailand etc. But, because of the 1 night in Bkk mess they are unsure when they will arrive at their final hotel. And many maybe already have a confirmed domestic flight booking but there's the possibility they will be delayed a further 24 hrs in Bkk but can't change their domestic flight date. A mess. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 10baht said:

I read this: According to the foreign ministry, travellers must have resided in the eligible countries and territories for at least 21 consecutive days--- So if you are living in Thailand and travel to one of these countries and stay less than 21 consecutive days, then WHAT?

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/asia/thailand-pm-announces-quarantine-free-travel-visitors-45-countries-2259711

A very good question. I need to travel to the UAE for 15 days. Why is it that whenever declarations are made by the Thai government there are still questions that need to be asked. Another example of Thais being totally unable to think something through.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

It's a big deal for my daughter's family of five who usually have an annual holiday in Thailand.

PCR checks in both UK and Thailand followed by an expensive Govt Quarantine Hotel, albeit only for one night, will add hundreds of pounds to the cost.

Factor in the risk should one of their kids test positive in Thailand it just isn't worth it right now.

Yes sadly it’s the cost of travelling safely in the future and everyone can make a judgement if it’s right for them or not. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul Henry said:

Desperate actions in desperate times. Great Britain on the list with 100,000 cases a day and going back into lockdown. Thailand badly needs  a government that knows how to govern rather than one that flops around  trying to be popular. What happened to the great wine announcement about CHEAPER WINE? Oh maybe I dreamt that it really wasn't announced. 

There are not currently 100,000 cases a day or are they going into lockdown. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

The curfew will be cancelled in the 17 opening Provinces but alcohol still cannot be served, although 17 provinces in the pilot tourism area can apply to ease some restrictions. For example, authorities on Koh Tao are creating their own Covid-19 Free Zone where restaurants can apply for permission to serve alcohol. Expect other areas to do the same. Via tweets R.B.

What's a covid free zone and how does someone create one?  Is this even scientifically possible or does this mean the same as "quarantine-free" arrival for tourists where there is still quarantine but just not as much as before.  

image.png.cb9588405f48c9d4500d5fa1bf6ee061.png

Obviously this suggests vaccinations are required which I am sure restaurants will happily implement if they can be allowed to sell alcohol again, but what does the other text say - anyone know?  

2 hours ago, 10baht said:

I read this: According to the foreign ministry, travellers must have resided in the eligible countries and territories for at least 21 consecutive days--- So if you are living in Thailand and travel to one of these countries and stay less than 21 consecutive days, then WHAT?

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/asia/thailand-pm-announces-quarantine-free-travel-visitors-45-countries-2259711

Very good question. I am planning a trip to a country not listed. I hope that it is either added in the next 3 months or there will be consideration for returning travellers who reside here.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Then don't bother.... I expect you have to either accept their requirements or not travel. 

I really don't see it as so bad considering what was previously required. 

So it's not as bad as before so thats good? Wake up, analyze the intent, if its so that you can be "contacted", then straight to your own apartment should be allowed. If it is to keep you in a secure hotel to keep you away from others until the test result is positive, then this is quarantine. Say it like it is. "One day quarantine if test is positive".

2 minutes ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

The "big deal" as you put it is, a PCR test and at least one night in a hotel, not of your choice, so for a family of 4, that's quite a lot?

4 PCR tests at 3,800 baht and one night in a hotel, that will way over 20,000 before they even start their vacation.

If one of the family tests positive, then its not going to be much fun, is it??

I’m sure you will be able to go to the hotel of your choice under the scheme.

I would guess it wouldn’t be much fun for many people if a family member tests positive and was out and about spreading the virus undetected so for that reason it’s probably a good thing. 

It’s the new way of travelling. Those are the suggested rules. You can either accept them and the increased inconvenience/cost or stay at home, but either way it’s a massive step in the right direction. 

• Like 1