Bangkok Bank not allowing overseas transaction with mastercard

Been trying to do an online transaction with my mastercard but it keeps getting denied using it direct and through paypal, it worked fine earlier this afternoon, then  after being denied a few times I tried it on a thai online  purchase(lazada) that went straight through so it appears they are not allowing any transactions that are outside Thailand for some reason, anyone else having this problem., hopefully it is only a glitch and will not continue as I got the mastercard to enable me to make out of Thailand transactions with it.

• Like 2

On 10/23/2021 at 8:20 PM, atpeace said:

Just got off the phone with Bangkok bank. I was told it would be fixed within a week.  Her English was terrible so I have no idea what the reason is for not allowing international purchases.  I  asked her 10 times at least to repeat what she uttered and after 5 minutes gave up.

I believe the reason is the recent debacle where many people had close to 100+ transactions of 34.15 baht taken out of their accounts by some overseas mobile gaming app company so I'm assuming they've just decided to disable all transactions. It sucks because I can't even renew my Netflix Thailand subscription with my debit card anymore even though it's charged in baht.

• Like 1

This is beginning to be very troubling.   All my out of country transactions at Bangkok Bank are being rejected until they resolve whatever issue they are currently having,  I have multiple automatic payments that will be rejected and my Ebay and Aliexpress payments are in limbo.

I wonder if all Bangkok Bank accounts are not accepting out of country transactions or just a few of us?  Very few on this forum seem to be having any issues or not many members use Bangkok Bank.

On 10/26/2021 at 12:21 PM, Bounder said:

Yes, having the same problem here. 1333 advised me it's due to the big fraud, as others have said. I was advised 1 or 2 weeks to be cleared up! Until then ...

Just got off the phone and was told the same. 2 weeks is the estimate and have little confidence in that estimate. Told me a week ago it would be not more than a week.

• Haha 1

On 10/23/2021 at 12:26 AM, seajae said:

Been trying to do an online transaction with my mastercard but it keeps getting denied using it direct and through paypal,

I am a former banker.  It is not unusual for credit card companies to deny transactions when the charge is outside of their home country or fits a suspicious pattern.  The vast majority of credit card fraud is online like Paypal. 

If however you call your credit card issuer and tell them that you are traveling overseas, or making purchases online from overseas merchants they will put the notation in your file not to deny those transactions.  

The denials are decreasing as the number of financial institutions go to one time codes to the credit card holder to authorize the transaction 

On 10/23/2021 at 8:20 PM, atpeace said:

Just got off the phone with Bangkok bank. I was told it would be fixed within a week.  Her English was terrible so I have no idea what the reason is for not allowing international purchases.  I  asked her 10 times at least to repeat what she uttered and after 5 minutes gave up.

You should have spoken in Thai to her!

just received this messge from the bank "Regarding for your inquiry, we would like to inform you that due to the current situation as shown in the news meet some credit and debit card holder customers facing the problem of making a payment transaction without manually transacting for the security of account information, therefore the bank suspends the payment of goods and services transactions with most online merchants registered abroad which has a lot of fraudulent shops". it appears that overseas institutions(amazon, paypal to name a couple) are now considered fraudulent by bangkok bank but that all thai ones are ok, looks like they are taking their queues from the health minister, does this mean that we can no longer do verseas buys from Thailand to keep the bank happy and only spend OUR money in Thailand

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Longwood50 said:

I am a former banker.  It is not unusual for credit card companies to deny transactions when the charge is outside of their home country or fits a suspicious pattern.  The vast majority of credit card fraud is online like Paypal. 

If however you call your credit card issuer and tell them that you are traveling overseas, or making purchases online from overseas merchants they will put the notation in your file not to deny those transactions.  

The denials are decreasing as the number of financial institutions go to one time codes to the credit card holder to authorize the transaction 

Not the case.  They  are having system issues with international payments.  Currently am being told all international payments will be rejected.

Do they have a virtual debit card like Kasikorn where you can set the spending limit? It is very useful for online shopping. Also, you can cancel it anytime and issue a new one, if you think that card is compromised (via desktop internet bank).

Edited by clearance
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, atpeace said:

Not the case.  They  are having system issues with international payments.  Currently am being told all international payments will be rejected.

That is unusual.  Typically banks all operate within what is called an interchange.  So if there was a problem with processing charges it would impact all the financial institutions that use that interchange service to process their transactions. 

14 minutes ago, Longwood50 said:

That is unusual.  Typically banks all operate within what is called an interchange.  So if there was a problem with processing charges it would impact all the financial institutions that use that interchange service to process their transactions. 

Did you miss the news about the fraudulent international credit card payments?

7 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Did you miss the news about the fraudulent international credit card payments?

I did see that, however the OP was saying that this was Bangkok Bank.  Others said they did not have a problem with other Thai Banks.  If that is true, it is unusual that only one bank is impacted rather than all the banks. 

19 hours ago, Longwood50 said:

I agree but nothing I can do about it.  They decided not to allow international payments for the time being.  One work-around is to call them and politely explain your predicament in simple terms.  Ask them to allow payments from  a small list of vendors.  The limit is 5 and not sure if that is transactions or vendors.  Probably need to do some major <deleted> kissing before they offer the above the solution. Just successfully paid Aliexpress!

• Like 1

On 10/25/2021 at 1:13 PM, Ohyesuare said:

I believe the reason is the recent debacle where many people had close to 100+ transactions of 34.15 baht taken out of their accounts by some overseas mobile gaming app company so I'm assuming they've just decided to disable all transactions. It sucks because I can't even renew my Netflix Thailand subscription with my debit card anymore even though it's charged in baht.

You can but top up cards for Netflix in 7-11 if it helps.

1 minute ago, Bundesengel said:

Yep, and it looks it becomes more worse. Since today i also no more be able to make my payments by Lazada with my mastercard.

What the hell is bangkok bank doing ?

Last 10 days this has been happening to me. I deleted the card off their system then re-entered it again hoping that would work. It didn't.

14 hours ago, Bundesengel said:

Yep, and it looks it becomes more worse. Since today i also no more be able to make my payments by Lazada with my mastercard.

This is the response on my card not been accepted by Lazada .

Screenshot 2021-11-02 at 08.53.41.png

14 hours ago, Bundesengel said:

BKB Mastercard has always been problematic as it isn't the real deal, it's processed through a local Thai system ...... and we all know how effective the local Thai systems are.

• Like 1

I have had a BKB Master debit card and outside of Thailand (and sometimes even in T) it has pretty much always been about as useful as teats on a bull.

It doesn't even have my name on it, so often times I can't even use it for the most basic online purchases like domestic flights (not all airlines, but most, since the final payment step usually involves entering the card holder name along with the card # etc.

Utterly unimpressed, will change banks net time I visit (so in 2055 once the ThaiPass problems are fixed^^).