Hotel tycoon calls for Thailand to ease restrictions on alcohol

webfact

1 hour ago, itsari said:

A few public holidays , not most, Why ? Because the country is a predominately Buddhist country . Backwards ? Ask your self that 

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

So only Buddhist on a few days of the year?

1 hour ago, itsari said:

Only banning alcohol on Buddhist religious days . 

My wife claims to be buddhist yet I have my doubts now and then

Surely being Buddhist is a voluntary choice; surely being Buddhist and deciding you want to drink alcohol on a Buddhist holiday, as opposed to any other day is a voluntary choice? Does the government make merit by making these laws? Thai Buddhism is another control in the toolbox. The other tenets of Buddhism seem to be applied to suit those who want to apply them, and to subjugate those they want to control. Although not a religion per se, other religions have similar rules to control their followers. If people do not have the innate sensibilities of morality and goodness, no rules are going to contain them.  They all ensure hypocrisy is the most common feature, in Christianity, Islam, etc.

• Like 1

Thailand has not thought it out!

No bars open = No atmosphere

No Bars Open = No nightlife

No Bars open = No relaxation

No Bars open = No fun, no holiday

1 -2 days quarantine = No holiday

Thailand Covid tests = More expense

ASQ Hotels = More expense

ASQ Hotels = Holiday time lost

Additional Insurances = More expense

Exiting Thailand charges = More expense

Tracking app required = Intrusion

Double charging - No booking

Thailand attitude towards Tourists = No booking

Pre-flight forms passes etc = No booking

Thailand changes rules every day = No Booking

Limited Freedom = No Booking

Rest of World is open = NO THAILAND HOLIDAY!

Sorry, but that's life!  Enough said!

Edited by Pdavies99
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Pdavies99 said:

Thailand has not thought it out!

No bars open = No atmosphere

No Bars Open = No nightlife

No Bars open = No relaxation

No Bars open = No fun, no holiday

1 -2 days quarantine = No holiday

Thailand Covid tests = More expense

ASQ Hotels = More expense

ASQ Hotels = Holiday time lost

Additional Insurances = More expense

Exiting Thailand charges = More expense

Tracking app required = Intrusion

Double charging - No booking

Thailand attitude towards Tourists = No booking

Pre-flight forms passes etc = No booking

Thailand changes rules every day = No Booking

Limited Freedom = No Booking

Rest of World is open = NO THAILAND HOLIDAY!

Sorry, but that's life!  Enough said!

That would make a nice song.

Someone gifted here to compose?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, ukrules said:

He's right, no alcohol = nobody's coming.

Far easier to just go elsewhere and enjoy a bottle of wine or a few beers in the evening, or even on the beach in the afternoon if you're so inclined.

We might even simply ask ourselves what imbibing alcohol and anything COVID have to do with each other. 

It appears that this little episode is just one of many - using COVID/COVID era to justify most any reasoning and whim. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

We might even simply ask ourselves what imbibing alcohol and anything COVID have to do with each other. 

It appears that this little episode is just one of many - using COVID/COVID era to justify most any reasoning and whim. 

Wash and disinfect your hands as often as possible.

What's better than cleaning your mouth with some drinks with a high level of alcohol. That should kill the virus.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Thaiophil said:

He could have said all the bars with reasonable budgets to pay off the police are already serving alcohol in paper cups or (here in Phuket) pretending to be restaurants.

A restaurateur friend told me the local cops had a printed sheet of the cost to sell alcohol.  

1 minute ago, internationalism said:

yet they still exist despite months of prohibition

No they don't. Hundreds have closed, many have closed for good. I personally know of five restaurants that have shut up shop just in my circle of friends. Several others have had to fund their businesses by taking out substantial loans, another survived by drawing from his offshore restaurant. Most have had to fire staff - even the local street place we go to once a week or so is down to 2 owners. Their 5 other staff have all had to be let go and are currently unemployed. In every case I know of the place exists because of external cash infusions. People are broken.

The profit or break even in a great many places is in the alcohol. Stick to whatever you know about. It's clearly not hospitality.  

3 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Not sure why, but pretty sure he won't ????

There are plenty of examples of foreigners who have stuck their heads up on stuff, thinking it was fine, only to realise that it isn't okay to comment, in such overt ways, since the current lot have taken over.

Edited by Sir Dude
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Sir Dude said:

There are plenty of examples of foreigners who have stuck their heads up on stuff, thinking it was fine, only to realise that it isn't okay to comment, in such overt ways, since the current lot have taken over.

How many of them are Thai citizens?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Clarkey611 said:
2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I doubt very much that he has ever said that he "was in favour of the coup".     Happy to be corrected, though, if you have something empirical.

I read it in one of his other letters to the powers that be. Let's hope somebody can dig that one up or even Bill himself could upload it. 

He said those words?   No, you didn't read that...unless you can "dig it up" as you're the one making the claim.  I think you'll have to dig it up out of thin air.    I'm happy to apologise if I'm wrong.

He's right, the envisioned reopening just isn't compatible with telling tourists that they cannot consume any alcohol at a restaurant. For many if not most tourists, enjoying a glass of wine or cocktail with their dinner is an important part of a relaxing holiday. 

28 minutes ago, Snig27 said:

No they don't. Hundreds have closed, many have closed for good. I personally know of five restaurants that have shut up shop just in my circle of friends. Several others have had to fund their businesses by taking out substantial loans, another survived by drawing from his offshore restaurant. Most have had to fire staff - even the local street place we go to once a week or so is down to 2 owners. Their 5 other staff have all had to be let go and are currently unemployed. In every case I know of the place exists because of external cash infusions. People are broken.

The profit or break even in a great many places is in the alcohol. Stick to whatever you know about. It's clearly not hospitality.  

I have worked in several hotels and restaurants and either they did not serve any alco or very little.

I also do stay at budget guesthouses, hotels and they don't serve food or alco. Just rooms.

I rarely go to restaurant which serves alco, because I don't drink in public. I go to restaurant to eat and eventually for life music

Edited by internationalism