Hotel tycoon calls for Thailand to ease restrictions on alcohol

webfact

14 hours ago, internationalism said:

oh yes, if you have bought drinks at bar there would be 500% profit for the owner, 50-100b per shot.

What is in comparison to "up to 200b" ?

I'm talking about 200 baht corkage for a bottle of Federbrau bought at BigC for 63 baht.

• Haha 2

They want package tours of Chinese Indian Vietnamese and Koreans .As I have said before they do not want  Franags on pensions hanging around bars  as  the Government  figure they do not spend enough money and are more trouble than they are worth.

The program is to get rid of those  bars which we farangs like  but package tours find offensive.Every time I go back to Thailand I can see many changes taking place.Expensive Condos for sale, walking Street been upgraded well probably removed.

It is a struggle to find a nice Hotel these days without the herds of  package tours  demolishing the breakfast bar before you  come down for breakfast.

When you make it for breakfast all you see is a war zone. I might add in most cases they are low class tours paid by companies  for their workers.The last hotel I stayed while in Pattaya  and I won't embarrass the place as the staff were very nice 4 star plus  was experiencing the same fate with Indians eating breakfast while walking around and  flicking the rice from the hands to the floor.

As I have Dental  treatments happening  but on completion on such work I will not be returning to the Land Of Smiles.

Think of the good memories and look elsewhere  for your holidays.Not sure where that may be Vietnam? 

18 hours ago, LivinLOS said:
19 hours ago, poskat said:

FTFY

Hotel tycoon, who stands to lose a lot of money under the current protocol, calls for Thailand to ease restrictions on alcohol

Expand  

Exactly.. the 'at the vey least in hotels and hotel restaurants' is just icing on the cake.. 

"man who stands to benefit from reduced alcohol controls demands reduced alcohol controls' doesn't make quite the same headline does it. 

You appear to miss the bigger picture that without alcohol availability there will be no cake (tourists)in to put anything on . Closed facilities make for an unappetizing surroundings. I say this as someone who doesn’t drink,but I also say the die is cast ,the existing restrictions of additional testing and 1 night quarantine and the mire of ill thought through confusion surrounding them ,notwithstanding  the already started winter wave of infections in Europe and airlines handing back 80% of their slots - there is no forthcoming season. "It’s an ex tourist trade" to paraphrase Monty Python 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, itsari said:

A few public holidays , not most, Why ? Because the country is a predominately Buddhist country . Backwards ? Ask your self that 

Definitely backwards just like the soldiers in charge. A typical Banana Republic.

18 hours ago, hotchilli said:

So only Buddhist on a few days of the year?

It is still a few days of peoples livelihoods. I bet the Thai military government would be horrified if they had to lose wages on these non drinking days.

17 hours ago, Clarkey611 said:

I read it in one of his other letters to the powers that be. Let's hope somebody can dig that one up or even Bill himself could upload it. 

Anyone who was in favour of the coup should just be ignored, and every word he/she says should be laughed at.

22 hours ago, webfact said:

Those who consume alcohol in proper restaurant and hotel settings typically do so responsibly. 

“Such environments rarely exhibit the crowded conditions within bars, pubs, clubs, etc.

Unfortunately he, like the government seems to have an image of large venues with dancing girls and hundreds of patrons when he talks about bars. None of them seem to recognise that there are tens of thousands of small bars where people gather in small numbers to enjoy a social drink and chat. These have been ignored and swept up in the bans imposed by this draconian puritanical government. The result already is permanent closures in fairly large numbers, and I cannot help thinking this is exactly the result they are seeking.

17 hours ago, samtam said:

Surely being Buddhist is a voluntary choice; surely being Buddhist and deciding you want to drink alcohol on a Buddhist holiday, as opposed to any other day is a voluntary choice? Does the government make merit by making these laws? Thai Buddhism is another control in the toolbox. The other tenets of Buddhism seem to be applied to suit those who want to apply them, and to subjugate those they want to control. Although not a religion per se, other religions have similar rules to control their followers. If people do not have the innate sensibilities of morality and goodness, no rules are going to contain them.  They all ensure hypocrisy is the most common feature, in Christianity, Islam, etc.

There is that per se word again, just what does it mean? I can't find it in any dictionary. If it is not English, is it not against forum rules?

"Negative PCR/ATK tests should also be required for “all travelers entering Bangkok or any major tourist destinations from all cities in Thailand”.

This last statement by Mr. Heinecke really out of line when trying encourage tourist to come. By what he said I would need a  PCR test when going from Bangkok to Phuket and then again coming back to Bangkok.  My daughter and Husband are coming next month for three weeks they what us all to go to Phuket for five days and then the wife and I would come back to Bangkok. Mined you that my daughter and husband would already had three PCR test with in just 3 Days.  Then they would need two to three more test just travel to the south. If  it were me I would say forget Mom & Dad come to the US and we will go to Mexico for a week, at far less money and a lot more fun. We have vacation there before and had a great time at Cancun. 

Edited by Dickp

6 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

It's about power and nothing else. Most hotels, majority of restaurants and foreign-operated entities have to abide by the law otherwise the BIB are around the corner.

Pattaya notes 20,000 Baht without receipt which could be talked down to 5,000 Baht per customer and the operator at the end - also without receipt. 

Thailand is a failed state following the "Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely" - and the people stand around, disliking it but do not dare to complain. 

Mom and Pop shops as well as most upcountry eateries though could not care less and have been serving amber liquid and local firewaters except during the total lockdown some 18 months ago. 

Laws are here to be bent and disregarded - statement of a Thai acquaintance! 

I never saw any of my friends stop smoking when it was banned in bars, they just said to me F-- off if you don't like it.

I just get a fan put behind me , I do not care if they smoke, I am an ex smoker but I do not worry about it, some people are very courteous and go out onto the street to fag, nice manners, the other die hards won't budge, but I don't care, the cops don't care so be happy, the owners do not care, actually I do not think they know the rules, never mind, more to worry about.

But from facebook I see many local expats still enjoying a beer at their favorite hang out, and they do not seem to be infected from guzzling.

However a thousand people at a beach concert or whatever venue may cause spread, not your local shop bar or small bar where we all know how to behave, except for those that go crazy on a glass or 2.

1 hour ago, Dickp said:

"Negative PCR/ATK tests should also be required for “all travelers entering Bangkok or any major tourist destinations from all cities in Thailand”.

This last statement by Mr. Heinecke really out of line when trying encourage tourist to come. By what he said I would need a  PCR test when going from Bangkok to Phuket and then again coming back to Bangkok.  My daughter and Husband are coming next month for three weeks they what us all to go to Phuket for five days and then the wife and I would come back to Bangkok. Mined you that my daughter and husband would already had three PCR test with in just 3 Days.  Then they would need two to three more test just travel to the south. If  it were me I would say forget Mom & Dad come to the US and we will go to Mexico for a week, at far less money and a lot more fun. We have vacation there before and had a great time at Cancun. 

After covid stops, or dies in your body, it is the viral load you have to get rid of, its the dead rubbish that has to be cleared.

So this might take some days, and because of this you can still show a positive RT- PCR even though the virus is not replicating, just the body dumping the wreckage.

So RT - PCR might slam dunk you due to this, and you could end up facing massive MIQ charges.

How to deal with this, I do not know, ask the medical professionals.

6 hours ago, nchuckle said:

You appear to miss the bigger picture that without alcohol availability there will be no cake (tourists)in to put anything on . Closed facilities make for an unappetizing surroundings. I say this as someone who doesn’t drink,but I also say the die is cast ,the existing restrictions of additional testing and 1 night quarantine and the mire of ill thought through confusion surrounding them ,notwithstanding  the already started winter wave of infections in Europe and airlines handing back 80% of their slots - there is no forthcoming season. "It’s an ex tourist trade" to paraphrase Monty Python 

I am not missing anything, its a fxxking joke, based on the irony of a guy who has a lot of hotels saying that they need to allow alcohol sales in hotels

Edited by poskat

On 10/26/2021 at 1:36 PM, poskat said:

Hotel tycoon, who stands to lose a lot of money under the current protocol, calls for Thailand to ease restrictions on alcohol

That part is true, however the government makes more on alcohol sales than the distiller, brewer, or establishment that serves them.  

This mania about the possible spread of covid through the bars is just inventing an excuse to ban alcohol that some in government find objectionable. 

I would suggest that I would sooner take my chances in a bar particularly one with outside seating than I would standing in line at Makro, being on a baht bus or far far more than riding a BTS train in Bangkok. 

18 hours ago, timendres said:
On 10/26/2021 at 7:20 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

He said those words?   No, you didn't read that...unless you can "dig it up" as you're the one making the claim.  I think you'll have to dig it up out of thin air.    I'm happy to apologise if I'm wrong.

He did not explicitly state that he was "in favor" of the coup.

I know, that's why i challenged the poster who said that he did!

12 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Wrong... could be a false negative. A positive is what will get you... isn't that then repeated?

Why should we bother with any of the test kits. 

They were never developed to have a fine standard and assuredness - it's all rather random.