Hotel tycoon calls for Thailand to ease restrictions on alcohol

webfact

3 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

Hey!! there are other parts to Thailand than Bangkok think of other also ...................!!!!!

That thought had occurred to me too. USA, UK,New Zeland, Australia all kicking off about vaccine mandates and passports creating a 2 tier society, how about here!?!? No mandates or passports but we are already about to create a 2 tier society, on a far larger scale. "This area does not require a curfew (because tourists might want to come here), but that area does. This area can serve alcohol (because tourists will go there) but this area can't." Hardly doing much to remove the xenophobic attitudes of some locals and government officials.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, JonnyF said:

That sounds like a sensible approach to get things moving. It's time to acknowledge that not everyone who enjoys a beer or a glass of wine with their meal ends up acting like a beligerent, arrogant fool spraying saliva over anyone within 5 metres. 

I am afraid that I really couldn't comment.

You see I have never had a few beers with Mr Heinecke

17 minutes ago, itsari said:

A few public holidays , not most, Why ? Because the country is a predominately Buddhist country . Backwards ? Ask your self that 

With most locals claiming to be Budhist while they sit on the steps outside a 7/11 downing 560ml bottles of Leo. Yeah, like all tea-total religions they pay lip service to religious stipulations regarding alcohol on religious days then get <deleted>faced every other day.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:
10 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Nobody?  Wrong.  Obviously.

Have you been in Sweden recently, only ones coming here is for work, retirement or family reasons.

Not for holiday.

I don't have to be in Sweden!  You claimed that "nobody is planning holidays in Thailand".   That's false.    Even in Sweden.   And, yes, I do know some Swedes who will be here on holiday.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, d2b2 said:

He was the first to publicly support those clowns when the coup occurred. He isn’t being sensible, he is being self centered. He will do or say whatever will bring him $$$$. His pays his employees the minimum and he is selfish with benefits. Do t think for a minute he cares about Thailand’s bottom line. He cares only about his own (the one his daddy left him). 

Regardless of his motivation/reasoning, the conclusion he has reached is the correct one. The ban on alcohol sales in hotels/restaurants is going to heap even more pain on the tourism and hospitality sectors and those that work in it.

It's time for a more nuanced approach. Being treated like a child by a tin pot third world Junta is not desirable for the "quality tourists" that Thailand wants to replace the CCP hordes. It was bad enough ordering an overpriced glass of white wine and having it arrive at the table lukewarm with a couple of ice cubes in it. Or a bottle of red that's only a couple of degrees away from being frozen solid. Being refused that bottle of wine altogether is not something that people enjoy while on holiday. Thailand needs to raise it's game, not ban everything.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Clarkey611 said:
35 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"...he also was in favor of the coup..."

Where did you get that gem from?

He inferred that in his last letter to some nut in charge.

I doubt very much that he has ever said that he "was in favour of the coup".     Happy to be corrected, though, if you have something empirical.

4 hours ago, internationalism said:

there is no prohibition, like during the 1st wave, in some places just for over 2 months.

Anybody can buy everything and in any quantity anytime.

They can drink in their rooms or even in common places inside hotel.

Restaurants do tolerate punters bringing their own booze, no corkage. 

For hotels and restaurants it's only side income to their main activity. They do survive.

Pubs and bars rely solely on drinks, they are in a much more dire situation 

"Restaurants do tolerate punters bringing their own booze, no corkage. "   Wrong ! I've been quoted up to 200 baht per bottle corkage to take my own into restaurants.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cnx101 said:

Price of one night quarantine is 6000 baht up, saw the price list, just another scam.

Don't forget the 65 year old brit guy in the Phuket sandbox who, in the words of a Thai police general, " was hunted down and returned to his hotel after violating curfew". 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I doubt very much that he has ever said that he "was in favour of the coup".     Happy to be corrected, though, if you have something empirical.

I read it in one of his other letters to the powers that be. Let's hope somebody can dig that one up or even Bill himself could upload it. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Far too sensible an approach for the clowns in charge no doubt. 

Historically the high season has never really started until December and it has been said for some time the alcohol restrictions would be lifted Dec 1st.

If the intention is to try and keep the numbers down in the first few weeks what would be a sensible approach?

The government is between a rock and a hard place, the population as a whole do not want reopening, softly softly may well be the answer.

Of course they could follow other countries, dispense with precautions and watch the numbers rise.

When asked what he was doing for Christmas, Bojo said 'working from home'.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cnx101 said:

Price of one night quarantine is 6000 baht up, saw the price list, just another scam.

AQ hotel in bangkok from 3300b, including pcr and transport.

Everybody can opt for sandbox - phuket from 400b night double room, so 2800b (can be shared with another guest).

If later on bangkok, pattay would allow sha+ hotels, instead of AQ, price might fall down to phuket level.

18 minutes ago, malt25 said:

"Restaurants do tolerate punters bringing their own booze, no corkage. "   Wrong ! I've been quoted up to 200 baht per bottle corkage to take my own into restaurants.

oh yes, if you have bought drinks at bar there would be 500% profit for the owner, 50-100b per shot.

What is in comparison to "up to 200b" ?

Many places already sell alcohol anyway, usually in a coffee mug…..but some openly drinking in bars in cities. If we are all going to hell in a hand basket…..whatever that means…..let’s have a drink along the way. Personally I drink a beer occasionally and I’m done….but let others enjoy their existence.