Hotel tycoon calls for Thailand to ease restrictions on alcohol

webfact

23 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

The last things people want to deal with on a vacation are confusion, control, prohibitions and uncertainty. 

Unfortunately Thais are manifesting these traits in abundance.

Woudl you expect anything less than this mindset from Military minds ?? 

I never understand this chap's letter writing efforts. Why bother? Who is the audience? MINOR (MINT) (we see what he did there ???? ) shareholders? Foreigners in thailand? Tourists?

He has all the influence he needs to work the four or five movers and shakers here. Writing letters, whether in support of a junta, or allowing alcohol to flow freely, seems like a wasted effort. Maybe he needs to appear as if he is doing something?

He is a thai citizen, not sure if he relinquished his U.S. citizenship?

On 10/26/2021 at 8:52 PM, thailand49 said:

Tycoon?  He is a dirty farang if it came from a Thai maybe just maybe they might consider it????? they will just smile, nod then in one ear out the other.

You are misinformed.He is extremely well connected with the Thai establishment and is regarded as Thai in every sense that counts.He is also highly intelligent, a talented businessman and thinks/behaves like a Thai Chinese tycoon.Having said that he has not shown particularly good judgement is some of his political utterances.It's unfair to say he supported the coup (he didn't) but he did make some foolish comments justifying it after the event - basically echoing the yellow line which only fools take seriously these days.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jayboy said:

You are misinformed.He is extremely well connected with the Thai establishment and is regarded as Thai in every sense that counts.He is also highly intelligent, a talented businessman and thinks/behaves like a Thai Chinese tycoon.Having said that he has not shown particularly good judgement is some of his political utterances.It's unfair to say he supported the coup (he didn't) but he did make some foolish comments justifying it after the event - basically echoing the yellow line which only fools take seriously these days.

Birds of a feather - 

Certainly should understand that any spouting or rhetoric from these particular circles has little to do regarding the well being of society.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jayboy said:

First I'm not misinformed!  To be honest with you I don't know <deleted> about the guy nor do I want to! My comment was meant to be a joke, humor call it what you want but I think most people reading my comment could figure that one out " only a fool would take it seriously these days "

Second, where in my short comment says anything about his political utterances or that I said he supported the coup whether he did or not I couldn't give a rat ass! only a fool would come up with something seriously these days like that which was never mentioned!

I'm a Asian American first generation living here watching and listening to their leaders daily I feel at home at times as to how they treat foreigners whether they are a successful and act like a Thai Chinese Tycoon. These Thais are no different when I was growing up how my Grandfather and Father thought of foreigners they will act all polite listen and when they walk out the door you hear a ear full one thing I've seen in Korean, Japan, here in Thailand it is exactly the same no matter how rich he is he will never be one of them completely never! Tough to hear but that is how I see it!  There are lots of reason, their immigration system, recently the confirmation in their courts to allow foreigners to be charge double that duel pricing is allowed the list goes on including being able to own land!  In spite of this in Thailand it isn't as bad as China.

Born and raised in the U.S. I've like many experience discrimination I never living here for 15 years I never envision or expected the discrimination and prejudice looking like one of them but I have my stories put my experiences back home to shame!

Edited by thailand49

On 10/26/2021 at 4:03 PM, JonnyF said:

Regardless of his motivation/reasoning, the conclusion he has reached is the correct one. The ban on alcohol sales in hotels/restaurants is going to heap even more pain on the tourism and hospitality sectors and those that work in it.

It's time for a more nuanced approach. Being treated like a child by a tin pot third world Junta is not desirable for the "quality tourists" that Thailand wants to replace the CCP hordes. It was bad enough ordering an overpriced glass of white wine and having it arrive at the table lukewarm with a couple of ice cubes in it. Or a bottle of red that's only a couple of degrees away from being frozen solid. Being refused that bottle of wine altogether is not something that people enjoy while on holiday. Thailand needs to raise it's game, not ban everything.

Again… he was the first to support the junta (that you are criticizing) when they overthrew the government. 

On 10/26/2021 at 1:06 AM, ukrules said:

He's right, no alcohol = nobody's coming.

Far easier to just go elsewhere and enjoy a bottle of wine or a few beers in the evening, or even on the beach in the afternoon if you're so inclined.

One of the best beers I had was at one of the big temples down in BKK down there around Sanam Luang (Wat Phra Kaew?).  Took wifey and the two kids there on a visit but they wanted a higher entrance fee for me.  So I stayed outside and bought a can of beer from a vendor in the courtyard.  Mmm, good.