What's type of tree is this?

On 10/27/2021 at 5:48 AM, drtreelove said:

Thanks a lot, that's the one.

So many names for it:

Blackboard Tree, Devil Tree, Indian Devil Tree, Milkwood Pine, White Cheesewood. And 'tin pet' (Duck feet tree) in thai.

Loads in bloom right now in my mooban, but the closest is say 200m from my house and we can still smell it. Such a strong smell. I don't mind it, my wife hates it.

• Like 1

And do you know this intoxicating fragrant flowering tree, in full bloom for the last two months or so, all over Chiang Mai, widely planted in road median strips, like along  the 1001 between Raum Chok and Mae Jo.  

ปีบ pip (Central) Sounds more like ton peep or beep. 

Millingtonia hortensis species page - THAILAND NATURE PROJECT

Last week I saw the largest specimen I've seen, at the admin bldg on the McKean hospital property in Chiang Mai. 

Beep tree 3.jpg

Beep tree 2.jpg

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Thanks a lot, that's the one.

So many names for it:

Blackboard Tree, Devil Tree, Indian Devil Tree, Milkwood Pine, White Cheesewood. And 'tin pet' (Duck feet tree) in thai.

Loads in bloom right now in my mooban, but the closest is say 200m from my house and we can still smell it. Such a strong smell. I don't mind it, my wife hates it.

My wife says it is very poisonous. Not surprising as oleander and plumeria are also poisonous. Perhaps learning that as a child influenced your wife? Also, people vary in how they react to a particular strongly scented flower.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, drtreelove said:

And do you know this intoxicating fragrant flowering tree, in full bloom for the last two months or so, all over Chiang Mai, widely planted in road median strips, like along  the 1001 between Raum Chok and Mae Jo.  

ปีบ pip (Central) Sounds more like ton peep or beep. 

Millingtonia hortensis species page - THAILAND NATURE PROJECT

Last week I saw the largest specimen I've seen, at the admin bldg on the McKean hospital property in Chiang Mai. 

Beep tree 3.jpg

Beep tree 2.jpg

Have 'beep' or Indian cork trees is our garden. Like them a lot. We chop them back when they get big but they grow back so quickly.

35 minutes ago, islandguy said:

My wife says it is very poisonous. Not surprising as oleander and plumeria are also poisonous. Perhaps learning that as a child influenced your wife? Also, people vary in how they react to a particular strongly scented flower.

Perhaps, or it's because another tree common to cemeteries in her childhood (strong smell helps mask burning smells / deceased)

On 10/30/2021 at 2:45 PM, Bredbury Blue said:

Have 'beep' or Indian cork trees is our garden. Like them a lot. We chop them back when they get big but they grow back so quickly.

I'm sorry to hear that. 'Chopping them back' violates best management practices and destroys natural form and beauty.  'They grow back so quickly' because its a natural vigorous growth response to the loss of foliage and capacity for essential photosythesis of sugars to support life of the tree.  Moderate crown reduction, size and safety managment can be achieved with proper  pruning practices, while maintaining BMPs for tree health and structural integrity.  

Why Topping Hurts Trees (2018_05_25 14_55_25 UTC).pdf Why Topping Hurts Trees_thai (2018_05_25 14_55_25 UTC).pdf

53 minutes ago, drtreelove said:

I'm sorry to hear that. 'Chopping them back' violates best management practices and destroys natural form and beauty.  'They grow back so quickly' because its a natural vigorous growth response to the loss of foliage and capacity for essential photosythesis of sugars to support life of the tree.  Moderate crown reduction, size and safety managment can be achieved with proper  pruning practices, while maintaining BMPs for tree health and structural integrity.  

Why Topping Hurts Trees (2018_05_25 14_55_25 UTC).pdf 188.43 kB · 0 downloads Why Topping Hurts Trees_thai (2018_05_25 14_55_25 UTC).pdf 376.57 kB · 0 downloads

No don't be sorry to hear that. It's worked pretty well for 18 years. It's either trim the trees or cut them down as they are close to the house, near wires, allow access on to low roof for rats to gain entry to downstairs ceiling, etc. - we choose trimming over cutting down.

On 11/1/2021 at 8:54 AM, Bredbury Blue said:

No don't be sorry to hear that. It's worked pretty well for 18 years. It's either trim the trees or cut them down as they are close to the house, near wires, allow access on to low roof for rats to gain entry to downstairs ceiling, etc. - we choose trimming over cutting down.

Another know-it-all-better.

On 10/31/2021 at 6:54 PM, Bredbury Blue said:

I believe you, and others, might be missing any point or picture. 

On 10/29/2021 at 12:34 PM, Bredbury Blue said:

we can still smell it. Such a strong smell. I don't mind it, my wife hates it.

Wife is the same....hates it and says all Thais hate it!!!!

I have hardly any sense of smell and she continually badgers me to sniff them and admit it is horrible....555

On 11/1/2021 at 8:54 AM, Bredbury Blue said:

I understand. Its true that sometimes the situation is such that you are faced with choosing the lesser of evils due to poor original planning for mature tree size.  You may be stuck with either tree mutilation or clear cutting.  

But for others who may be planning and planting their landscapes, its a good heads-up to always consider the eventual size of the trees you are considering. Get informed and choose wisely. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, drtreelove said:

I understand. Its true that sometimes the situation is such that you are faced with choosing the lesser of evils due to poor original planning for mature tree size.  You may be stuck with either tree mutilation or clear cutting.  

But for others who may be planning and planting their landscapes, its a good heads-up to always consider the eventual size of the trees you are considering. Get informed and choose wisely. 

Wise words. We bought the house from someone with the tree planted too close to the house and right next to cables / wires requiring the trimming. We have also planted trees on an additional house plot we bought to extend our garden, and as trees grow they need trimming. If we had loads of land and no complaining neighbours we could probably let the trees grow untrimmed.

• Like 1

On 11/6/2021 at 10:28 AM, Bredbury Blue said:

Wise words. We bought the house from someone with the tree planted too close to the house and right next to cables / wires requiring the trimming. We have also planted trees on an additional house plot we bought to extend our garden, and as trees grow they need trimming. If we had loads of land and no complaining neighbours we could probably let the trees grow untrimmed.

Yes, tree trimming is usually required in a residential setting. And after over 50 years of getting calls for neighbor disputes over tree issues, and sometimes involving lawsuits, outright hostilities and vandalism, I learned first hand that us Americans are on a mission to be master complainers, and often prove not to be good neighbors and peaceful people. 

But tree trimming does not always have to be radical and disfiguring to the natural form and beauty of the trees. I have spent my life, as did my father before me, offering moderate, aesthetical and tree friendly alternatives to radical topping and removals. 

And now there is a whole new movement of training and certification of arborists in Thailand, through the Thai Arboriculture Association (TAA, on Facebook). And there are now tree services with certified arborist tree workers who are capable of safe and professional workmanship, and aesthetic pruning. So we are no longer limited to hiring the local hack, and living with the consequences.