Businesses in Thailand urge government to reverse alcohol ban

webfact

2 hours ago, darrenr said:

Dear , Thailand Tourism authority, I am an Australian fully vaccinated, when my boarders open i will only come back to Thailand if you:

1. Stop the alcohol ban and open the bars

2. No quarantine (including overnight in Bangkok to await for covid result on arrival)

3. Happy to have tracking App that will advise me of my result 

4. Let me arrive in Bangkok and freely travel to other locations such as Pattaya, Chang mai, Koh Chang , Phuket , Samui 

5. I understand that I am a guest and respect your rules , but without this myself and others are unlikely to come to visit unless the above is implemented 

‘for your consideration 

Many other better places to spend your cash... why bother....

• Like 1

Covid super spreaders like the Krystal Club in Thailand or the KTVs in Singapore are reminders of why bars and clubs should stay closed or only open with strigent requirements and strict enforcements. Unfortunately Thailand strigent requirements and strict enforcements are fallacies. But I do think that well established hotels and restaurants should allow alcohol. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gsxrnz said:

Man's first invention was alcohol.

Just sayin'.  :coffee1:

Alcohol was not invented. It was discovered. As a fruit falls from a tree if it is not consumed it will be infected by yeast which contains an enzyme that converts sugar into alcohol and carbon dioxide. It is a completely natural process and it is hard to understand what the fuss is all about,

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JayClay said:

Well a couple of months back there was a plan on Facebook for "civil disobedience" in Bangkok where a large group of restauranteurs said they would ignore the ban.

It looks like they chickened out at the last minute which is a shame.

Even if we all together ignore the ban then they will close us down one by one or even black list. Nothing to with chicken out but with our income and future.

5 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Hmmm....wasn't it a club in Thong Lor that cause one of our huge increases in cases?  Maybe make alcohol sales OK, but limit the number of customers?  Right...that's all controlled by the police.  Never happen.

1 hour ago, paddyfield7 said:

Unblock the alcohol sale to civilised and private restaurant and bar visitors, but exclude those Thonglor guys, notabene a good part of the whole parliament, which have caused the whole disaster.

6 hours ago, alyx said:

Quite understandable

I do not drink, even socially, so I am not personally impacted by this ban, or am I ?

Without alcohol in restaurants and bars, let alone nightclubs, the ambiance is not the same and, although I still do not fathom why  people cannot enjoy a night out without a drink, alcohol is a necessary factor to make it a success

…well…reasonably consumed that is.

That being said, I do believe that nightlife is dead and it will not be a perk for visitor anytime in the foreseeable future in this country.

So many industries have been killed by these (irrational) measures ( some might say ) that Thailand must think ( note that I have not used re-think) a new tourism and forget about attracting the wealthy who have so many spots around the world  where they can party without being bothered by anyone or submitted to harsh restrictions. Of course some countries impose even tougher restrictions but they do offer something else ( eg Iran).

Well to do tourists  are not going anywhere “restricted”:

they need “niches”
Freedom is key to these people and to the majority of the travellers especially when their stay is short

Anyone going to Iran must be "out of their minds" already!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Businesses in Thailand have urged the government to lift restrictions on alcohol sales as the country reopens to tourists, warning the measures are destroying its famous nightlife and risk deterring visitors.

The Thai version of Build Back Better excludes bars, nightlife, and entertainment - and fun.

The boys at the top must have taken Orwell's approach to dystopia building as opposed to Huxley's Brave New World.  If they had brains they'd see the wisdom in allowing the commoners their "Soma" which in turn creates the conditions where the commoners come to love their masters.  Instead?  The Thai power elite take the boot in the face approach and keep the serfs in place through force alone.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Walker88 said:

All of this is a rehash of what's been said over the last 18 months, with a few important points to add, however, as 1 Nov approaches. The key point came in an article a day or two ago:

"Airlines have returned 80% of their contracted slots for the Oct-April period."

TAT and the govt can say whatever they want, but airlines are businesses. They live and die by revenue and costs (unlike bureaucrats who answer to no one or leaders who 'appointed' themselves seven years ago). When airlines return 80% of their allotted slots for the upcoming 'high season', it's pretty certain tourist numbers are going to be pretty low. It's unlikely millions of int'l travelers have decided they prefer a tramp steamer over an Airbus or Boeing.

The reasons tourists are not going to come are many---Covid fears, onerous entry requirements among them---but no alcohol with meals, and no nightlife, are also part of the problem.

Others have noted that alcohol is available in reality, despite the ban, but it is somewhat surreptitious and there is always the possibility that the authorities---who know full well virtually every restaurant is serving---will make an inspection if not a raid. Inspections were done last week after the big raid in BKK's Koreatown and a second in a venue across the street from a major police depot. Folks were properly warned beforehand. Inspectors also apparently told shops that it's virtually certain restaurants will again be allowed to serve as of next Monday, 1 November. Bars, however, look to remain shut until at least 15 November, maybe 1 December, or perhaps into the New Year if infection rates pick up again.

A pickup in actual infections is unlikely, as little in reality is going to change. New arrivals will be few (and will be double vaxxed and PCR-tested), and restaurants will be given the green light to do what they are already doing. If infections do pick up, that will likely be due to a change in the method of collating and reporting, rather than an actual change in infection numbers.  Anyone with an axe to grind will be able to make hay out of the numbers, so we shall see if the Temperance Union and/or Xenophobes win over the less puritanical  or fearful bureaucrats and leaders.

Yes, wouldn't be overly surprised to see an uptick in cases, caused by an increase in testing in order to justify further lockdowns and control measures. Let's face it, the people deciding on all these measures are not affected by them in the slightest (if you want to go out after curfew and get stopped, just wave your government, police or army ID at the checkpoint and continue on your way). As for the people who are affected, well, they don't really matter to those in power anyway, that is fairly evident by their slow response to vaccination rollout, slow and meagre response to financial aid to the population and pretty much eerything they say and do. (Of course making sure to pass the buck for any failures onto whoever they can find, preferably farang)

• Like 2

Well, it is interesting coming from a country where the number of bars and nightclubs has been going down for the last 15 to 20 years, it is amazing that businesses here think alcohol sales are necessary to their survival.  Now, I enjoy a beer or whiskey with the best of them, but as I've learned here, going to a bar is not the way to do it.  Why, because we can go to one of the small shops in the village and buy a large beer for 55 to 60 baht versus going to a restaurant or bar and paying 90 to 100 baht (if lucky) up to 130 baht. At a couple of places in Pataya, paid 110 for a small bottle of beer.  That makes a small bottle of Chang more expensive than a small bottle of Chang at the Thai restaurant I like in Canada (4.10$C vs 4.00$C). Nuts to that... 

Yes, young people like to go and party, but tourists have no idea. This is Thailand.  My wife's family and we went to Pataya for Songkran a few years ago (big mistake).  Drink parting tourists having a blast everywhere.  My family were not impressed, in fact disgusted, and felt that the way Songkran was being celebrated by tourists was insulting.

So looking from the outside out, it is a sad fact tourism in Thailand seems to be about things other than seeing the sites.  Even my family touring here from Canada were dismayed by the way so many westerners act in this country.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

I told you!!!!!!! Thailand is not ready for re-open on 1st of November.!!!!!

1. All entertainment locations are under restrictions.

2. All bars, discos etc. are not allowed to serve even a beer to a steak.

3. During the requirement of using the App, you are spied on as same as

in a communist country.

4. Requirement of quarantine at an overpriced place with lousy food.

5. The court ruling, which legitimates dual pricing to foreigners.

6. A new 500 Baht entry fee.

7. Many massage etc. are still closed.

I could go on forever.

No way. There are many other countries with nice beaches and......

...other countries mothers have also pretty daughters. 

Edited by SuwadeeS
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, In Full Agreement said:

I understand what you're saying but honestly that reply doesn't address my post. 

Personally I wouldn't want to support a country such as Iran with my tourist dollar spending no matter what kind of comfort and facilities they offer.

sure they working on ways to take cash and not have to put up with u.... thinking thinking...

If the government doesnt lift the alcohol ban in restaurants & hotels come November 1st this would be proof that they have a definite ulterior motive, destroy Thailands tourism and economy with no thought or regard for the business's and the people employed! Its that simple! 

There is no "sensible" reason to keep the ban in place.

Sadly for many bars I do see this as a higher risk area so I suggest in red zones put a curfew on bars and police it, 10pm closing until they feel confident to extend. 

• Confused 1

I do reckon a controlled opening of alcohol sales should be tried, say open air restaurants for example. Everyday, I pass by several places that are busy, cannot believe it would make that much of an extra risk to health if alcohol was being served.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, alyx said:

Quite understandable

I do not drink, even socially, so I am not personally impacted by this ban, or am I ?

Without alcohol in restaurants and bars, let alone nightclubs, the ambiance is not the same and, although I still do not fathom why  people cannot enjoy a night out without a drink, alcohol is a necessary factor to make it a success

…well…reasonably consumed that is.

That being said, I do believe that nightlife is dead and it will not be a perk for visitor anytime in the foreseeable future in this country.

So many industries have been killed by these (irrational) measures ( some might say ) that Thailand must think ( note that I have not used re-think) a new tourism and forget about attracting the wealthy who have so many spots around the world  where they can party without being bothered by anyone or submitted to harsh restrictions. Of course some countries impose even tougher restrictions but they do offer something else ( eg Iran).

Well to do tourists  are not going anywhere “restricted”:

they need “niches”
Freedom is key to these people and to the majority of the travellers especially when their stay is short

We are not experiencing 'a night out' without alcohol. Not just one night out but hundreds of nights and days! Without the release of a social drink or getting blind drunk! The ban is not for one single night but months. It's a disgrace imposes by a shameless leadership

• Like 1

8 hours ago, darrenr said:

Dear , Thailand Tourism authority, I am an Australian fully vaccinated, when my boarders open i will only come back to Thailand if you:

1. Stop the alcohol ban and open the bars

2. No quarantine (including overnight in Bangkok to await for covid result on arrival)

3. Happy to have tracking App that will advise me of my result 

4. Let me arrive in Bangkok and freely travel to other locations such as Pattaya, Chang mai, Koh Chang , Phuket , Samui 

5. I understand that I am a guest and respect your rules , but without this myself and others are unlikely to come to visit unless the above is implemented 

‘for your consideration 

Dear Australia,

I am fully vaccinated. I will come to Australia if you:

1. Let anyone in

‘for your consideration 

• Haha 1