Businesses in Thailand urge government to reverse alcohol ban

webfact

2 minutes ago, JayClay said:

It looks like they chickened out at the last minute which is a shame.

Civil disobedience gets handled harshly in this part of the world. I don't think alcohol sales is the issue to kick off on!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JayClay said:

Well a couple of months back there was a plan on Facebook for "civil disobedience" in Bangkok where a large group of restauranteurs said they would ignore the ban.

It looks like they chickened out at the last minute which is a shame.

Don't know if that's necessary.  Pretty much every restaurant around here is selling booze.  And many bars. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, alyx said:

Quite understandable

I do not drink, even socially, so I am not personally impacted by this ban, or am I ?

Without alcohol in restaurants and bars, let alone nightclubs, the ambiance is not the same and, although I still do not fathom why  people cannot enjoy a night out without a drink, alcohol is a necessary factor to make it a success

…well…reasonably consumed that is.

That being said, I do believe that nightlife is dead and it will not be a perk for visitor anytime in the foreseeable future in this country.

So many industries have been killed by these (irrational) measures ( some might say ) that Thailand must think ( note that I have not used re-think) a new tourism and forget about attracting the wealthy who have so many spots around the world  where they can party without being bothered by anyone or submitted to harsh restrictions. Of course some countries impose even tougher restrictions but they do offer something else ( eg Iran).

Well to do tourists  are not going anywhere “restricted”:

they need “niches”
Freedom is key to these people and to the majority of the travellers especially when their stay is short

I also do not drink, but for the life of me I can't see why they don't have a system for lets say a  3 drink limit keeping  most people happy. If tourist can't have a few drinks after going threw all the BS just to get here than they might not come at all.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The government banned the sale of alcohol in restaurants, and closed bars, to dissuade people from going out after a rise in Covid cases in April, which was linked to clusters at nightclubs. Nightlife venues are still shut, while restaurant rules vary by area.

The rules have caused “catastrophic damage” to the nightlife sector, said Niks Anuman-Rajadhon, owner of Teens of Thailand, a bar in the capital’s Chinatown.

Which was largely due to the lack of vaccinations at the time, not the people congregating.

If vaccinations had been timely maybe the outcome would have been a lot different.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, alyx said:

Well to do tourists  are not going anywhere “restricted”:

they need “niches”
Freedom is key to these people and to the majority of the travellers especially when their stay is short

Well said.

• Like 1