390 Packages of Favipiravir Seized from Illegal Vendors

snoop1130

aYPmnkur.jpg

BANGKOK, Oct 27 (TNA) – Officials raided eight locations, arrested nine suspects and seized 390 packages of illegally acquired antiviral favipiravir tablets.

Police and officials of the Food and Drug Administration and the Government Pharmaceutical Organization (GPO) busted a network of vendors selling the antiviral drug illegally online.

Some suspects said they acquired the medicine from a private hospital which had ordered it from the GPO.

Full Story: https://tna.mcot.net/english-news-811301

tnalogo.jpg

Nine arrested in Thailand for selling Favipiravir online without permission

Thai-PBS-World-logo-65.jpg

Nine people, including the general manager of a private hospital in Thailand, have been arrested by officers from the Consumer Protection Police Division for allegedly selling the anti-viral drug Favipiravir online without permission and for profiteering.

Police also seized 390 packs of the prescription only medicine in raids on eight locations in Bangkok, Saraburi, Pathum Thani and Nonthaburi provinces.

Commissioner of Central Investigation Bureau, Pol Lt-Gen Chiraphop Phuridet, told the media at a news conference today (Wednesday) that the general manager of a private hospital used a contact at the hospital to purchase the anti-viral medicine at 2,000 baht per pack. The manager then allegedly sold them to eight other people at a profit. The drug was subsequently found being sold online to the public at as much as 8,000 baht per pack.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/nine-arrested-in-thailand-for-selling-favipiravir-online-without-permission/

Logo-top-.png
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, lujanit said:

So it was not illegally imported or fake drugs.  Just the way corrupt Thais turn a baht for outrageous profit.  So normal every day business.

I'm assuming the police are also just trying to make a profit, or protect a profit. Normal TIT.

The drug should be available free and freely to any positive covid cases. 

10 minutes ago, sandyf said:

But where does it start.

The US Department of Defense developed favipiravir in partnership with MediVector, Inc

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Favipiravir

I would personally start at the top and work downwards, obviously someone is upset at others making money and they are loosing out or not included in the take ........

4 minutes ago, Geoffggi said:

I would personally start at the top and work downwards, obviously someone is upset at others making money and they are loosing out or not included in the take ........

The drug is unapproved and effectively a controlled substance, but in your view the law should not be enforced and controlled substances freely available.

I'm lost. You can purchase every prescription drug imaginable in any pharmacy for the asking short of narcotics.

What was the problem here? I can only surmise that this drug is tightly controlled to avoid hoarding and price gouging. But I have no idea.

Most likely the government just wants to control it and control the price and the product.

Another Monopoly

I will gladly trade you these rubber gloves today for some Favipiravir tomorrow.

Pretty sure usage of Favipiravir as a treatment here is dwindling as it is USELESS.

Hence an oversupply (domestic manufacture and imported from Japan) needing to find alternative outlets. 

29 minutes ago, sandyf said:

The drug is unapproved and effectively a controlled substance, but in your view the law should not be enforced and controlled substances freely available.

I think you will find it is approved here

22 hours ago, Chad3000 said:

I'm lost. You can purchase every prescription drug imaginable in any pharmacy for the asking short of narcotics.

What was the problem here? I can only surmise that this drug is tightly controlled to avoid hoarding and price gouging. But I have no idea.

Most likely the government just wants to control it and control the price and the product.

Another Monopoly

That is incorrect you cannot purchase every prescription drug at a pharmacy some have to be authorized by a doctor and according to my pharmacy some can only be issued by hospitals.